Pulling injectors for valve cover gasket, can I avoid it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So finally the time has come. 4 years ago I noticed a bit of a leak developing from my LH valve cover gasket and my RH upper timing cover and valve cover gasket however ive never throught twice about it, just check the oil level live value on the IID tool every once and a while (when the car is cold) and then fill up accordingly. however now that I have not been driving the LR4 nearly as much oil has made its way down to the alternator and fried it. I also smell oil burning off the exhaust manifold. with that being said, I finally have decided to replace the gaskets now that they are actually causing problems. So my question is, do i actually have to pull the injectors or can I wiggle my way around it with a little finesse. I have heard too many horror stories of people who change injectors and snap the head off of one and that is just not something I am willing to risk doing the job myself. Can I get around it? Would I be able to lift the valve cover up enough to get the old one off and then wiggle the new one into place without stretching the gasket itself? On a side note i know it would be smart to pull the injectors and get them cleaned but fuel injection has not been an issue for me ever and I am trying to stick to, "if it aint broke don't fix it" Anyone with experience please let me know if this is possible, would really prefer to not have to pull them out. Thanks!!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Injectors have to be removed and resealed. Which requires a sizing tool for the Teflon seals.

theegovernor

Reaction score
Not to mention pulling injectors on these engines can be a nightmare. I would wait until you have to absolutely pull the valve cover

ebp02

Reaction score
On an engine stand I was able to rotate the injectors 90° and the valve cover clears them without having to pull them. Whether that means the seal is compromised or not is another issue, probably not as I'd imagine the seal stays put and the injector is the only one moving.

Also idk if it would clear everything it needs to when in the engine bay

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run high mileage oil. That is the first step in "if ain't broke.." :) Are you 100% sure it is valve cover and not a leaking oil cartridge filter and/or assembly or vacuum pump? I had residue on my alternator and oil along part of my valve cover, After some cleaning/sleuthing traced it back to a defective oil filter cover gasket (the replaceable one that comes with your filter) That was much easier to deal with than a valve cover.

BBLR3

Reaction score
Pull injectors. Drivers side rear most was the hardest/awkward. Make sure you do not pinch the gasket! Creates a vacuum leak if the gasket is not on right and throws codes. I got to do my passenger side twice! Did it in less than a hour the second time LOL.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run high mileage oil. That is the first step in "if ain't broke.." :) Are you 100% sure it is valve cover and not a leaking oil cartridge filter and/or assembly or vacuum pump? I had residue on my alternator and oil along part of my valve cover, After some cleaning/sleuthing traced it back to a defective oil filter cover gasket (the replaceable one that comes with your filter) That was much easier to deal with than a valve cover.

It is, I've been spectating the leak for ages. my upper timing cover is covered in oil fuzz and it starts to get liquid residue right under the passenger side upper timing cover. And my right side valve cover is leaking, I've seen smoke coming off the exhaust manifold on the drivers side, you can also smell it from the wheel well. my vacuum pump was replaced a while back and the oil filter housing gasket is dry.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On an engine stand I was able to rotate the injectors 90° and the valve cover clears them without having to pull them. Whether that means the seal is compromised or not is another issue, probably not as I'd imagine the seal stays put and the injector is the only one moving.

Also idk if it would clear everything it needs to when in the engine bay

this is what I was wondering, if i rotate them could I pull it off or will it compromise the seal? I really want to avoid pulling them, I've heard the nightmares of others and I haven't had issues with the injectors throughout the entire life span of my engine. plus if i do pull them then i face the decision of replacing or cleaning them, would much rather clean them but this just adds time to the process.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, finally dropped off the LR4 (2013 with under 60k miles and meticulously maintained) and the dealer for the gas collar recall, and as part of their free multi-point inspection, found that "the front timing covers need to be resealed driver side cover is leaking oil and passenger side is seeping oil."

Quote is $6660. Ha!

Anyway, I will see how bad it is on my lift, but I'll probably have to tackle this. I've been dragging my feet on a full cooling system preventive work (cross-over pipes, T-stat, pump, etc.), so I'll try to do both at once.

To the OP's question, is this something that requires pulling the injectors?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72