PCV Valve 2016 LR4 V6 - What is this gasket?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seankomarmy

Reaction score
I have check engine light and codes P2189 and P2187 on my LR4. I searched and determined that one fix may be to replace the PCV Valve. I went to change the valve and there is a huge rubber gasket squished out the side of the valve cover that is blocking my ability to remove the existing PCV Cap. I could probably pry it out, but think I would have trouble getting the new one in. This engine was a replacement after my original seized from the coolant crossover leak issue. See photo and chunky rubber squished on the PCV. Can I just cut the excess? Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 106

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a gasket. Just sound insulation.
Take a pair of pliers and pull away the section around the PCV diaphragm.

seankomarmy

Reaction score
Well.. The PCV engine light went out, but now I have P0355, P0030 and P0305 (Misfire/Misfire cylinder 5 and Ignition coil)

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a broad range of codes. It sounds like you did the fix and right away those codes popped up. Is that what you mean? I would undo the fix. You have a lean condition and that is bad. I wouldn't drive it since you could get detonation and blow the engine. There is a thread around here in recent weeks where there was a picture of what detonation can do to your engine internals. It sounds like you have a timing issue.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like you’ve got an o2 sensor code and an ignition coil code on number 5. Either could cause a misfire, but pretty sure your problem here is the ignition coil as it matches the cylinder misfire. This looks like the scv6 engine, correct? If so, I believe 5 is on the drivers side, middle cylinder in that bank. I’d start by tracing back the coil wiring, make sure everything is properly connected.

The o2 sensor code might be unrelated - this can cause a lean condition, so that might have been the problem you were originally chasing.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well everybody.. the problem was ME. I knocked one of the spark plug wires loose when trying to replace the rubber sound dampeners/engine covers back into place (Nearly impossible) . Thanks for the help! All codes are off, and car is running well.
We've ALL done this! When fixing one thing, we inadvertently knock or break something else! As long as you found it and all is good!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72