Using Terrain Response to Improve Gas Mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I can't speak for everyone of course (and have never heard of that chip before) but I think it's stupid.
Thank you.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what is everyone oppinion of the SLR motorsport power chip that sells for 69.00 dollars?
If it's too good to be true, it's not true. You can write me a check for $34.50 instead, and I'll send you a nice certificate that says your LR3 runs better. This way you'll save 50% and I'll get a nice dinner.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course he failed to mention the mileage up into the mountains, lol.

codemonkey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That run had a net change from 7500' down to 5300', with lots of up and down in between, including La Veta Pass.

Today I did 21.8 over 136 miles, reversing part of the same route. Of course I'm at the low point now, from 5300' to 4700' or something. Lots of traffic on this run though, crossing Denver at rush hour.

Mileage in the mountains doesn't suffer too bad, maybe high teens on a highway run up over Eisenhower Tunnel. I haven't made a Moab run in the LR3 yet, that will be a good test, recording mileage on both ways. Hopefully at Thanksgiving.

Bendix Nobel

Reaction score
The module is sold by SLR Motorsports advertised on the google add supported by landrover forum for 69.00 dollars. I own a 03 disco with a 4.6 They say that this module will inprove h.p milage ect. I would like the opinion of the forum before I make a misstake need your help with this thanks bendix

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The module is sold by SLR Motorsports advertised on the google add supported by landrover forum for 69.00 dollars. I own a 03 disco with a 4.6 They say that this module will inprove h.p milage ect. I would like the opinion of the forum before I make a misstake need your help with this thanks bendix

Bendix - just ask yourself, "if this were really possible, why wouldn't LR have done it from the factory?". Some chips are reasonable - mainly on turbocharged engines where you can easily adjust boost (and those typically trade off HP for long term reliability). But on a NA engine, a chip won't do much, and it surely isn't going to improve both HP and gas mileage. I'd be skeptical of anything that makes those sorts of promises. Your best bet is to help the car breath better - intake/exhaust. And even then, you can possibly do more bad than good. These cars are pretty well tuned from the factory.

Bottom line - don't waste your money. Instead, change you driving style. Accelerate softly, don't floor it. Use cruise control whenever possible. Keep your tires inflated properly. Keep your air filter clean. Etc.

-Rich

OffRoving

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Doug at LRL asked me about the mpg in GGS mode while writing his article. I was the primary source for info about mileage, so if your mileage doesn't compare, you have me to blame.

However, I average at least 3-7mpg better gas mileage, even when running my Zeon all terrains. I live east of LA and drive to LA quite often. On this 50mi~ commute each way, I average 21mpg to LA and 18mpg on the way back [downhill there, uphill home I suppose??].

If you switch your Nav screen to 4x4 setting, you will see in GGS that the diff locks appear in green [unlocked]. I have never seen them lock/engage so I do not have reason to fear that they are suffering any undue torture.

While on my treks in CO I suprisingly realized [on my last tirp] an average of 23mpg from UT to Grand Junction, CO for at least 150mi. Air density? Fuel quality? Who knows.

With our beasts of vehicles, it's worth a shot anyway.

p.s. want some real fun? put it in SAND on the pavement, wait 30 seconds, floor it. Priceless. Your wives will be so ****** at you for the whiplash!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get 22.5 or so from Seattle to Portland all the time. No GGS or anything...just light foot and stay near the speed limit.

PicnSav

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Doug at LRL asked me about the mpg in GGS mode while writing his article. I was the primary source for info about mileage, so if your mileage doesn't compare, you have me to blame.

However, I average at least 3-7mpg better gas mileage, even when running my Zeon all terrains. I live east of LA and drive to LA quite often. On this 50mi~ commute each way, I average 21mpg to LA and 18mpg on the way back [downhill there, uphill home I suppose??].

If you switch your Nav screen to 4x4 setting, you will see in GGS that the diff locks appear in green [unlocked]. I have never seen them lock/engage so I do not have reason to fear that they are suffering any undue torture.

While on my treks in CO I suprisingly realized [on my last tirp] an average of 23mpg from UT to Grand Junction, CO for at least 150mi. Air density? Fuel quality? Who knows.

With our beasts of vehicles, it's worth a shot anyway.

p.s. want some real fun? put it in SAND on the pavement, wait 30 seconds, floor it. Priceless. Your wives will be so ****** at you for the whiplash!

Adam,

What psi do you run in your tires?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72