WOW, it's not just a button with a picture of a snowflake!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chief Justice

Reaction score
I got my 08 LR3 in August so today was the first day I got to use the "grass/gravel/snow" setting. I must admit that I had doubts that this whole terrain response system as a huge marketing feature that in reality has minor adjustments or effect of what happens while your driving. I guess I would say that in the best case scenario, my car may be actually making significant adjustments, but doubted if they really changed how my car performs under different conditions.

That was until today. We had an icy snow in Kansas City today. Since the temps are so low (9 degrees) the salt doesn't melt anything and the trucks hadn't gotten around yet. I told my wife I would drive as I was curious how our LR3 would do.

Starting up our steep driveway I felt no slip at all. When I accelerated I could feel that it did not respond as normal, yet I was able to gain speed normally. Then when I was in an open area I got going fairly fast and without braking, pulled the wheel suddenly hard to the left. Some lights came on and I could feel braking on certain wheel(s) and I slid very little. I think it applied brakes to my right front wheel or left rear or both but I am not certain.

I then started going down the large winding hill out of our neighborhood. As I starting braking I heard the ABS's firing a million times a second and worked better than most ABS systems I had used.

As I headed down surface streets and onto the highway I felt and sensed a million things happening all at once. I pointed them out to my wife, saying there are literally millions of computer calculations, sensor readings, adjustments made each millisecond and all of it happening by itself in order to keep us safer. I have always read about the service issue associated with all of these electronics and have been wondered "why have all of these gadgets and their problems if they do very little?" I now feel differently. There is a LOT of stuff going on when you drive a Land Rover and it is all good stuff that actually affects your cars performance in different environments. It literally made me feel a whole lot safer, and I feel even better about my purchase than I already did!!! That feeling makes a big difference in my level of worry as I am out of town and I know my wife and two little girls are driving around in this KC weather.

I also had to get gas on the way home and as I got back in the car and sat my butt down on heated leather seats, and looked through my heated windows, I was reminded that it is hardly a utilatarian vehicle, but extremely luxurious and comfortable as well.

Don't know why I felt so compelled to gush about this car as I know you all have already bought one and have seen what they can do. I guess you could say that as a huge doubter, and somebody who expects a lot out of my vehicles, I am blown away with what this truck can do. It is not just a trendy, cool looking luxury car!!!!!

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, all that on the OEM Goodyears, too. Probably would not need any adjustments if LR used better standard tires! Ha, ha. Seriously, snow tires would make it so much more secure. I bet even better all season highway tread tires with a good snow rating (Nokian plus seasons, anyone?) will blow your mind for next winter, after your good-for-one-year tires get replaced.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dito:I too have been very impressed by the snow setting. I've got Cooper Zeon LTZ's, which are snow rated, and have been in some pretty deep snow without chains with no problems. I even tried to get it to slide in a nice wide downhill area, but couldn't. :driver:

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to hear. In CO we're getting into the winter season, it was -18 the other night. I've had the same fun in my truck. I actually have GoodYear Forterra Silent Armors on it (came from the dealer with them) they are bigger than the stock wheels at 285, but they handle quite nice. :)

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our Ray-ving friend Chief Justice has the HSE 19" wheels, so has limited choices that don't include yours, fellows, from what I recall. Still, he'll find something that makes him smile and his wife feel even more secure for next year.

Chief Justice

Reaction score
Yeah I explained the tire thing to her. "Just wait until we get REAL tires on this thing!" Then i get the "what's wrong with these? they're BRAND NEW!!!" I explained that they are just cheapo street tires that are basically designed as throwaways for those that want to get real tires. Then I get the whole "why would they do that? If we're going to spend all of this money why wouldn't they put better tires on it?"

Great questions, but let's just say she's not happy about that part. I just deal with it and told her we need to budget for new tires this summer.

I do have the 19" wheels as mustbe audi pointed out. I feel that there are enough decent tires available. I don't want to further exacerbate the wife inquisition with the whole 18" 19" discussion and why we need to get rid of those beautiful wheels thing....

One more thing on the tires. I was pretty impressed as well as to what my LR will do off-road with the stock-crap tires on it. Can't wait to see what it'll do off-road with real tires off-road as well the snow. if I had the bucks I would do it now. Oh well, doing it this summer will at least let me get SOME mileage outta the stock tires and soften the sting a bit.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you like it!

I did something similar when I got mine....I took it to an empty snow covered parking lot and tried to do some fish tales and spins to gauge how this heavy truck would handle in an emergency stop or slide. I could NOT get it to fish tail! I was amazed that this heavy ass vehicle with shallow tread tires wasn't sliding all over the place...all the flashing lights and ABS was keeping it mostly in line even when I cut the wheel hard.

Now, try that with after you turn DSC off for the kind of fun you might be looking for. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM