What is the best Rover for the Pan American Highway?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have decided to drive the Pan American Highway. Prudoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego. I just purchased a 1997 Disco SD. Then I thought I would ask here before I started rebuilding.

1000 miles of dirt road.. in Southern Chile... Called the Austral Highway, google it...

Question: What's the best Rover year and model for that type of trip? and why?

I will be following the advice of the forums and begin preparations in the next 30 days. The mind of many is greater than an individual.

Thanks alzerom

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the later discovery 1's - only because they're still serviceable in the field, they GENERALLY warn you LONG before they become undriveable.

A lot of the parts will interchange with other models, i.e. range rover classic, defender, etc.

If I had a new to me vehicle, b/4 I did a road trip, I"d wonder

Have you looked @ the condition of your truck in depth?
brakes, rotors, belt, hoses, (including brake hoses), filters, u-joints, tune-up, wheel bearins, tie-rod ball ends, bulbs, electrical connections, battery, to name a few.

Did you download a free RAVE cd? (shop manual on disc)?

do you have repair history?

head gaskets?
Alternator?
starter?
water pump?
fan clutch?

transfer case good?
hi/lo?
cdl lock working?

trans oil everbeen changed?
trans filter service?

these are SOME of the items most of us would be aware of if we didn't want to walk home.
:biggrin:

luck,greg

Last edited:

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Greg... Your information about parts interchangeability is excellent, I didn't know that.

I have no repair history or anything even close.
I got the shop manuals, and the RAVE data...
I was planning to tear it completely apart. With lots pf professional help on the way.
I notice all the things you mention are exactly what everyone mentions on the forums. :)

Then I realized I need to start with what was considered by the guru's (that's you guys) to be the best year (s) EVER, before I started the teardown. A vintage year is what I'm looking for.

I didn't pay much for this one and I can easily afford any Rover on the block. I really liked that Red Defender 110 in California last week on eBay. REALLY cool truck for sure.

Remember we can't leave a totaled vehicle in a foreign country or we have to pay import duties or carry it home. Import duties to Ecuador, Peru and Chile are 300%. So, I'm not ready for a brand new Rover. That's TOO TOO much. :) A used one that's completely restored would be better.

A complete restoration of the drive train/chasis for the best year the group advises. Then I'll blog it and keep everyone posted as to how well the group's advice turned out :)

So the question is "What year and model is the best of the best?"

and it doesn't have to be a Discovery....

One Vote for a late Disco 1 (this is where I was leaning also, just from the limited data I obtained from these forums.)

Thanks Greg!

Last edited:

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Long road ahead

What is the best Rover for the Pan American Highway?

I have decided to drive the Pan American Highway. Prudoe Bay to Tierra del Fuego. I just purchased a 1997 Disco SD. Then I thought I would ask here before I started rebuilding.

1000 miles of dirt road.. in Southern Chile... Called the Austral Highway, google it...

Question: What's the best Rover year and model for that type of trip? and why?

I will be following the advice of the forums and begin preparations in the next 30 days. The mind of many is greater than an individual.

Thanks alzerom

Well you have to understand that everyone here will have an opinion, but only a few will work.

If I was to do this I have no problem with the 1997 disco sd, the frame and body will probably do just fine, I’d scrap the rest. First off I would only use a diesel engine, I bet mileage and reliability is a major issue in the pan American tour, whichever route you take. I have an older 4 cylinder non turbo Hercules diesel out back I’d probably use with a roosamaster injection system.. Yes it only has 160 bhp but well over 500 ft lbs torque, and that’ll do nicely. I’d probably bolt it up to a Muncie 4 speed top loader transmission in conjunction with a new process 205 gear drive part time transfer case with a 16:1 or better split between high and low range. In this event, you won’t want full time 4x4, too much constant wear and tear on the drivetrain. At both driveline ends I would put the driveline sliders at the transfer case to keep them out of the mud, and the wear out of the splines. I’d run a dana 44 front axle with manual locking warn hubs, and use a Ford 9” rear axle. I would not use diff locks, I would go with limited slip clutch discs. I would fabricate front and rear leaf spring perches and convert all suspension to a simple leaf design. I would run stainless exhaust for corrosion and weather. Stainless or plastic fuel cell, stainless fuel lines, stainless air intake ducting. And I’d probably tow a truck bed trailer to haul my junk and tools with me. I’d tear out all the old wiring and put in a bare minimum 1920’s system, and keep it super simple, and I would use thin wall low pressure steel braided hydraulic hose for conduit for the electrical wires. This way if need be I can pull new wires through the conduit. I would position parts like heater core so that it could be changed out in minutes, not days. I would buy parts common to the country I was driving in.

For this event, this would be how I would start out in vehicle design
The more luxuries you install the more you fix. I would keep everything super simple.

You’ll need to set aside around $20,000.oo to $40,000.oo just to fund this vehicle project, and another $5,000.oo per month to fund everything and to live on during the trip, I know, my friend did it, in Northern US and Canada, and came back after only one year, He ran out of money, and almost lost his house. He never did it again, he told me , “ nothing is worth giving up a warm bed for”. He never had to tell me that twice…….. lol

Best wishes…………. Chongo
:bandit:

Last edited:

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chongo, these were excellent thoughts and recommendations with a surprise ending. Yes, it's a long trip and could end up being expensive. Would your recommendations suggest that a Nissan Pathfinder (my other consideration) be the better choice? Chongo, I want to arrive safely and your advice is respected. I have read your other posts on this forum which read like a medical journal article in both style and accuracy!

I don't have to stay with the Land Rover. I want to arrive safely and not throw away money on something that won't work on the front end.

Thanks for the heads up.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chongo, these were excellent thoughts and recommendations with a surprise ending. Yes, it's a long trip and could end up being expensive. Would your recommendations suggest that a Nissan Pathfinder (my other consideration) be the better choice? Chongo, I want to arrive safely and your advice is respected. I have read your other posts on this forum which read like a medical journal article in both style and accuracy!

I don't have to stay with the Land Rover. I want to arrive safely and not throw away money on something that won't work on the front end.

Thanks for the heads up.

If it were me, I would pick a diesel drive train most common to the vehicles driven in the area you are going to so you may readily obtain parts. Break downs are inevitable, so why make your parts shopping hard on you ?
I have no qualms with the Nissan Pathfinder, it is an excellent vehicle, as long as it is a staple, native vehicle for that area, it will serve you well. If it’s not, parts shopping is going to be rough.
Another factor that you may want to consider is, will you be doing your own repairs? This might be a key question in choosing your vehicle.

I would strongly recommend a drive train indigenous to the area traveled. This will also assure you that the mechanics have the tools, and know how on that system.

The system I picked was for me and for here, I can get parts for it here, and I would fix it, that may not work for you there.

I would steer clear of any electrically controlled engines, no ecm’s , and a 1920’s era model A ford wiring diagram. For simplicity. And there is no doubt I would pick any engine but a Diesel.

Have you ever been to the area you will be traveling in? Have you seen their cars, stores, facilities, resources ? I’ve been in over 30 different countries in my life, but I haven’t been there, So I can’t say what is common there. By the way there is roughly 195 countries in our world today.

Any way, good talking with you, any questions, feel free to ask, and best wishes on your journey, please post pictures for us to see your vehicle project, and your road trip. I sure many will want to see them.

Best wishes ……………. Chongo
:bandit:

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chongo, I have been in Chile. Lived 4 years deep in Mexico. Chile is the first and only country to move from third world to "Developed Nation". I speak Spanish quite well, as a second language. North American to South America, the most ubiquitous vehicle IS the Nissan Pathfinder as it's available in every country without exception. Land Rover is also ubiquitous but with dealers only in the Capital Cities of some countries.

It is unlikely I will be doing many of my own repairs as the tools to accomplish anything other than simple repairs weigh too much. Which gets me to the most common cause of a breakdown on "voyages"... overweight vehicles. I'll have a small tool kit, and would prefer zero problems. My wallet is much larger than my tool box! :)

As with all the South American Countries, the year of manufacture is: "US current production minus one". So, I'll avoid driving a 2009 or 2010. They are currently driving our 2008 model.

Your points are well made and I suspect the reliability of the Land Rover will be it's undoing. I'll just use this 1997 Disco I bought to putter around town, the minivan is about dead anyway.

Thanks from David in Raleigh

Last edited:

Disco524

Reaction score
Chongo, I have been in Chile. Lived 4 years deep in Mexico. Chile is the first and only country to move from third world to "Developed Nation". I speak Spanish quite well, as a second language. North American to South America, the most ubiquitous vehicle IS the Nissan Pathfinder as it's available in every country without exception. Land Rover is also ubiquitous but with dealers only in the Capital Cities of some countries.

It is unlikely I will be doing many of my own repairs as the tools to accomplish anything other than simple repairs weigh too much. Which gets me to the most common cause of a breakdown on "voyages"... overweight vehicles. I'll have a small tool kit, and would prefer zero problems. My wallet is much larger than my tool box! :)

As with all the South American Countries, the year of manufacture is: "US current production minus one". So, I'll avoid driving a 2009 or 2010. They are currently driving our 2008 model.

Your points are well made and I suspect the reliability of the Land Rover will be it's undoing. I'll just use this 1997 Disco I bought to putter around town, the minivan is about dead anyway.

Thanks from David in Raleigh

David,

I fully agree that diesel is the way to go for this type of trip. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking driving conditions reliability and ease of repairs & interchangeable parts. I'm sure a vast majority of LRs down there are running diesels.

For what you will encounter on the road, you want your truck to look "old and tired" on the outside to blend in and strong and comfortable on the inside (new drivetrain?) Keep the shine inside, don't want to attract too much attention.

Get wise and buy yourself a satellite phone. Use Citibank card as they have vast coverage in the region. A permanently concealed, installed GPS (glovebox) plus a portable GPS is a must.

How I would love to retire one day and live out this adventure. That road trip is comparable to the journey of life itself. I truly envy you living out that dream and will pray for your safety.

When are you planning on going for it?

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final Vehicle selection for PanAmerican Highway = Disco2

Final Vehicle selection for PanAmerican Highway Disco2, 2004 Disco with 67K miles, new head gaskets and clean bill of health. Trip to Tierra del Fuego in next 6 months. I'll be travelling VERY light. Tent, sleeping bag, coleman stove, a few days of basic food, two changes of clothes, gps, maps, fake wallet, real wallet, papers in order. Remember to get across some borders the vehicle must be free and clear, insured, less than 10 years old, titled to the driver. At my age (65) this will be pretty rough but I've just got to do it. Last chance to do something big. I would rather die on the trail than mowing my grass! Thanks to this group for suggesting the year/type of Land Rover. All my life reading National Geographic and I wasn't going to show up in anything less! It's the mystique of the Land Rover isn't it? Big sign on the side "Tierra del Fuego o muerte" - yo

Last edited:

jastutte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I'm very jealous. Keep us updated if possible. Are you taking a digi camera so you can post up pics?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi