Whats A Disco Worth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

DanaT

Hi all,

I am not an LR owner, but the thought is seriously crossing my mind.

I have an opportunity to pick up a '94 Disco in decent shape with one minor problem. The engine has a knocking rod. It basically needs a new engine or an engine rebuild.

The owner is a co-worker and in the last year has done many things. New birfields up front, new brake, new alternator, new tires, etc. The body and interior are in very nice condition.

Anyways, what is a disco worth with a bad engine. How much would a used engine cost? What is the typical instal time (ofr a shop) to do an engine R/R? I can do most work myself, so I can handle an engine R/R. I just want to get an idea of what a shop would charge.

Now< i knwo this to LR woner is blasphomey, but most of my 4x4 experience is with jeeps. How does the disco compare to a wrangler? Are ARB lockers available for the disco? What does it take to fit 31s or 33s on a disco? Are aftermarket wheels available for a disco.

I guess, what do i look for ona disco. What are thier strengths and weaknesses? I know cost is a weakness, but, they cant be much worse than certain cars that come out of Stuttgart for parts prices.

Well, any help would be great.

-Dana

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In general - 4-5K for 94 nowdays is a fare price for relatively good shape (well its 10 yrs old) vehicle. Depending on options (sunroofs & etc) price can go up wee bit. Used 3.9 engine in good shape can be 1 or 2K. Installation is extra.

Cost is hardly a weakness nowdays b/c 94-97 CJ will cost you actually more. And reliability is always issue with Jeeps (and yes i did own it). Unlike DCJ produced vehicles - Rovers would keep going unless you literally blow engine up :)

What the heck is birfields? :)

New alternator at 10 yr old vehicle is pretty much a must. Same goes for new tires, brakes, shocks. Heck - even springs will be pretty weary at that age.

ARBs are widely available as well as TrueTracs & Detroits.

D

DanaT

I may be incorrect, but I was under the assumption the LR used birfield joints. They are similar to a CV but heavy duty. Closest I can describe them as is a CV joint for a solid front axle.

Would the Disco I was describing be a good, bad, or average deal at somewhere between $1000 and $1800?

Thanks
-Dana

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a decent deal on the Disco. As for prices on a new engine, I think you would have to contact a local LR shop to find that out. There's plenty of off road equipment available for these rigs to make them off road worthy.

M

montanablur

I just bought a 96 for 5k, 100k miles and in excellent shape...

Since you will be getting a new engine put in look at all the other major components underneath. This is a checklist I went through when buying mine.

1) Front and rear diffs, it's an easy check. Do they look like they have been maintained? ie. the condition of the goop...

2) Transfer case... same thing...

3) Steering... Put it up on a jack stands.... Turn the wheel all the way in one direction... while someone is holding the steering wheel in place... grab one of thge wheels and feel for play...

Those are the major expensive things that can end up costing a lot of chingy down the road...

The best deal out there (like mine) is a rover owned by one person, prefferably a soccer mom that had it dealer maintained. Believe me there are a ton out there.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dana - no, Rovers using original CVs upfront. Birthfields are in Toyotas to me recollection. For 1K/1800 its nice deal, personally i'd grab it, unless there is heavy amount of rust.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Dana! We had a 94 local here that sold for $2900.00 160000 mi. average shape. I think Sergei is right, buy it, you will love it and probably hate it sometimes, but mostly you will love it! Most parts are not as expensive as most people expect if you know where to find them. The Rover community is the best group of people you may ever meet! Buy the truck & join the club! LRW

M

marc olivares

Uzbad said:
Dana - no, Rovers using original CVs upfront. Birthfields are in Toyotas to me recollection. For 1K/1800 its nice deal, personally i'd grab it, unless there is heavy amount of rust.

from a yota forum-
" The style of CV joint used in solid axle LCs was invented by a Brit or
American with the last name of Birfield. I think Toyota licensed the
design from the creator's company (now GKN Birfield Industries?)
GKN is still a British company and make the CV's and prop and
drive shafts for Landrover. The above is to the best of my knowledge.
and hence stamped "Birfield" into the joints themselves (actually, I'm pretty sure this practise stopped with the 80 Series' joints)"

a Birfeild joint is the same as a Landy CV (or Swivel) joint.
it's just a different term, like bonnet vs. hood, or spanner vs. wrench.

buy the disco but don't blame us when you sink all of your money into it.
you'll spend less money on a hard crack habit!
don't say you haven't been warned!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
marc olivares said:
from a yota forum-

it's just a different term, like bonnet vs. hood, or spanner vs. wrench.

Or chips vs fries :)

Seriously - thanks for info Marc, i was too lazy to search, just recalled some talks on pirat4x4 boards from long ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72