Whats the purpose of these aluminum blocks ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlonesty

Reaction score
I think the side stools became necessary when they changed the monique frame to a lighter metal.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
Went to take the running boards off today because I felt a soft spot toward back of the boards lately. 2014 LR4. Suppose I can get rock sliders now.
IMG_0979.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Structural my ass. LR should be damn embarrassed by these things. Take them off and never look back.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
It took longer than expected - whoever put the running boards on stripped one bolt on the way in and it set me back a while trying to drill it out. Passenger side took 3 hours cause of that When it came to the drivers side, I decided to pull up on the board to see what would happen. Lol, it disintegrated.

Looks way better with them off IMO.

IMG_0987.jpg
IMG_0988.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, it disintegrated.

It's been said before, but this is not a great look for Land Rover. I agree that as far as my personal taste goes, no running boards is a better look on the LR4.

Now one other question-- why do you hate your carpeted floor mats so much! And I admire your bravery in parking a Land Rover over a rug.

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Structural my ass. LR should be damn embarrassed by these things. Take them off and never look back.

The "mandatory" 2015 and newer running boards are built entirely different than the previous running boards. They are comprised of what looks like .120 wall tubular steel. There is no thin sheet metal as seen in the photos above. Newer boards will not be rusting away any time soon.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What will be interesting will be how Land Rover handles this. When the 2014+ came out they sent literature to the dealers that the running boards couldn't be removed as they were part of the safety (side impact?). Now that the running boards are disintegrating 4-5 years later I wonder what the story will be? I doubt LR will issue a recall. Is the car no longer safe to drive? lol. Like I said before good riddance to them.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
I hope @Waterndirt is correct about the quality of these on years where this is now a federally identified safety feature. Otherwise, LR might have to issue vouchers upon vehicle delivery for Tetanus shots since it's completely plausible that anyone stepping into the back seat drivers side may have gone through and tore up their leg.

The rocker panel trim for both sides are off for a few days since they were cut to fit the brackets through for the boards. I am looking at some rock sliders to fill the void - or fill the spot with ones found at dismantler and worst case some new ones.

https://parts.landroverftmyers.com/...MI3eG157ip5wIVhsDACh1RuwDCEAQYASABEgIQA_D_BwE

@cperez the rug is from my neighbors back deck while he is in Florida for the winter. I will put it back before he returns - just kidding it's an older rug I use in the winter to catch salt so my garage floor does not end up looking like the floorboards.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72