What's the worst that can happen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the 32" MT/Rs when I'm off-road (rod-mod, not full time though) and I'm very concerned about a failure like this. I pack extra sensors but if it's a compressor (or a shock) I'm screwed. A Faultmate is on my wish list but I'm not sure how much that would help.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past few years, I have been asked the "what tire size do you recommend" question literally hundreds and hundreds of times. I always recommend staying under 31.5", and I am not a proponent of the Rod Mod.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
. . . I would say that this size is the max that you could be comfortable with. Keep the total diameter under 31.5" and you should be fine. I have heard of guys running mud-terrains in 32.5"+ with the mods on, and losing the extra height at full speed on the highway. Total carnage in the wheel wells and lots of money to fix. No thanks for me. Hope that helps.

Ouch, highway speed and carnage . . . . I'd rather not experience that as well.

I've noticed that few people run aftermarket wheels. I know it's personal preference but I've noodled on the idea of putting Redbournes on my '05, they have a slightly different offset and backspace, they push further out inside the wheel well.

I haven't found that anyone has commented much about tire size, rub issues with aftermarket wheels. I know this will alter some things, but has there been any experience with plus size rubber on these wheels?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah....noted Nate. ...and if only there were an aggressive enough tire in that size! The Coopers are good all around tires and probably work great on the trails you guys run down there. In the Pacific NW, they are not so good. I ran them for a year and they were a welcomed upgrade from the Wrangler HPs but after running the MT/Rs I recognize the vast difference in performance.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past few years, I have been asked the "what tire size do you recommend" question literally hundreds and hundreds of times. I always recommend staying under 31.5", and I am not a proponent of the Rod Mod.

Originally I was planning to use my '05 as tow vehicle. Take it to events, wrap it to promote the brands I was working for, etc. I liked the idea of the rod mod, more room, bigger rubber . . . . like it or not in the automotive aftermarket bigger is better. Make it unique or at least different than the Rovers you see at the mall (so to speak).

After I learned more about the capability of these beasts I sort of switched gears and thought that I'd actually take on trail and promote/brand build that way. I got concerned when my compressor failed and dropped me to the bump stops.

Now I'm leaning towards a hybrid tow/trail rig. I found out that Falken is making an AT tire in a 20", with an outside diameter of 31.62". I know 20's are not the best thing to take off road and they would be expensive to replace after I ruined the first wheel sliding off a rock, but please consider that the purpose is more mild trail use and more promotional use.

I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go but I wanted to do something before the weather in Colorado turned too crappy since my OE GY HP's are pretty much done. At least my topic has brought about interesting conversation.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I've been going back and forth between stock HSE config and rod-mod'd with 32" MT/Rs and other than the PITA of having to switch configs it's been a good choice for me. I get un-matched performance off-road and on the road I do well with the Synchrones too. Since I run the rod-mod about 0.5% of the time, I don't worry as much about the stress it may cause the suspension. If there is a failure in the field, yeah I may be screwed but I do carry extra sensors and will just have to hope for the best until I get myself a faultmate.

Seems like a complete compressor failure is the thing that can hurt me the most; and that would be bad no matter what. I guess the tire rubbing issues would exacerbate it though.

...but then again, what's it going to rub? The upper wheel well? What sort of damage can it do (this is not a rhetorical question)?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that few people run aftermarket wheels. I know it's personal preference but I've noodled on the idea of putting Redbournes on my '05, they have a slightly different offset and backspace, they push further out inside the wheel well.

My rig has turned into a part time tow rig now as well (In the PNW who wants to wheel in the rain and mud when you can go to the mountains and play with snowmobiles?).....I am seriously looking at a second set of wheels and offroad tires so I can run stock when towing and help keep my gas milage up. The redbournes look like they are a better fit for an offroad tire to me. Plus with the extra clearance I should be able to run tire chains should I need to....

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah....noted Nate. ...and if only there were an aggressive enough tire in that size! The Coopers are good all around tires and probably work great on the trails you guys run down there. In the Pacific NW, they are not so good. I ran them for a year and they were a welcomed upgrade from the Wrangler HPs but after running the MT/Rs I recognize the vast difference in performance.

Houm, what mt/r are you running? I was looking at coopers but I am in the PNW as well and want a good on/off road tire. I don't want to change tires for long trips to Seattle.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the Goodyear MT/R. ...but like I may've mentioned I only run 'em when I go off-road. The rest of the time I just run stock size Michelin Synchrones. Ryan (in Oregon) runs the BFGs. He has a rod-mod but I'm not sure it's necessary for that size tire.

Don't get me wrong, the Coopers are a good AT tire for most situations. ...but you get into legit Oregon/Washington trails that have plenty of deep mud, roots, rocks and stumps to tackle, and those Coopers don't really have the tread depth to handle it.

joecool509

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am in eastern wa so we have no trees or water.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635