Wheel hub lugs c/w bearings?

Anybody out there?

• Lr3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Range Rover sport Hse

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SoCal66

Reaction score
All, slightly off topic but I need some help. I feel so dumb, I was working late one night and grabbed the wrong size socket when I was about to remove a wheel. I managed to mess up a wheel lug nut on one wheel. It's like the stainless steel is twisted partway around the lug underneath. Now I can't get a socket to fit because the lug is twisted and I can't remove it. Any thoughts (other than paying better attention next time) about how to get the twisted lug nut off? I've learned my lesson for sure. I know I'm not explaining this well but I need help.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best bet, (opinion) to use long extension, longer the better like 10" plus and go ape on the socket wiggling the end around in an orbit.
Between that and a applying a breaker bar in reverse rotation (tightening) just enough to get the socket and SS cover back into their original flat to flat position.. It'll be a PITA battle but successful once given some time and effort.
Best to use a 6 point socket in the future vs a 12 point allowing more positive grip on the nut flats. "CJ".....~~=o&o>.....

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"If", those lug nuts are assembled like on my 95 D1 the nuts are drilled completely through but not threaded the last 1/4" at the top of the nut.
The stainless cap is held on by small crimps at the base of each nut point with very little holding these caps on. By already mangling the cap I assume you already have the cap almost ready fall off???
A friend had these problems on his D1 thinking it was a submarine for several seasons until he had a flat. Told him to drill a 3/8" hole into the stainless cap then pry the cap off the nut to get at the lug nut. Wood shim with electrical tape holding the big screwdriver off the rim surface when prying the cap off.
BTW, if your LR still takes a 1 1/16" socket a 27 mm socket almost matches 1 1/16" by being 5/10,000" tighter fit.
Once the cap has been removed do a "select fit" with a smaller metric socket, I believe a worn out or sloppy manufactured (China) 1" will also fit as another option. "CJ".....~~=o&o>.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV