When is it time to say goodbye?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, just checked LR4 prices in Autotrader. Looks like I could probably sell it for about the same as I paid for it in January, 2018. The upside to Covid!
Of course, benefit only really accrued if I don't replace it with anything :(

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Once they are paid for, it's just maintenance and gas, and those are always less then expensive than any alternative.
I have driven all my vehicles until they literally die, with only one exception.
It can be a long and painful goodbye, but it's a massive cost saver in the long run.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People on the Defender forum with 1-year old Defenders are selling them for $10K more than the sticker price they paid. 2023 Defender orders started a few months ago so lots of demand from buyers that don't want to order and wait. Even Carvana and Car Max will pay you the new sticker price for a used Defender.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for giggles I looked at used Defender prices yesterday. Carmax has a few that must be $15k to $20k more than when they were new.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for giggles I looked at used Defender prices yesterday. Carmax has a few that must be $15k to $20k more than when they were new.
I know...crazy times. Since when do new vehicles appreciate as soon as you drive it off the lot? If I didn't like my Defender so much I'd consider selling it for a $10K profit after one year and 20K miles.

portlandlife

Reaction score
Even if you assumed you had repairs of 4800/year, same annual cost as the leased RAV4, your LR4 would be an asset at the end if 3 years and would be driving great with all that maintenance done. The RAV4 would be turned in and you’d have nothing to show for it on your financials or driveway; you would be buying or leasing something else.

And your struggle of what to get if you sold your LR4 is tough.

I have a 67k-mile ‘10 L322 HSE. Between off-roading, luxury, seating position, interior quality, and it’s beauty, a used Cayenne GTS is the only car that comes to mind as a possible replacement. I only drive the Rover for fun or adventure now as the gas mileage is too terrible to be a daily driver.

IMO - Keep it. Use it. Maintain it.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree re. Leasing. I was only using that as an example of similar cost for a less luxurious vehicle, albeit with latest gadgets. I can claim partial car costs as business expense which helps.
Audi A6 wagon on list, but not many used for sale. BMW never sold 5 series wagons here. Not sure about A6 and Audi. Pleased that the current value of my LR4 is awesome vs what I paid in 2018.

portlandlife

Reaction score
Allroad would make my list. I looked at 5 series wagons here but wasn’t fully committed to having turbos to replace, plus all the bmw parts that fail. My wife’s ‘10 x5 3.0 with n52 has been my most expensive car to maintain. Parts are expensive ($550 electric water pump, $360 alternator, $360 for Vanos solenoids, $500 for rear air struts). But it’s comfortable and all sorted now.

Mozambique

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A4 wagons and all road plentiful, but not much bigger than my old Saab 9-3 sport combi. My 14yo is 5'11" and 140lbs. He complains about being cramped in the back of the LR4!
Yeah, BMW's also $$$ to maintain. However, I was assuming / hoping Germanic engineering more reliable than LR?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A4 wagons and all road plentiful, but not much bigger than my old Saab 9-3 sport combi. My 14yo is 5'11" and 140lbs. He complains about being cramped in the back of the LR4!
Yeah, BMW's also $$$ to maintain. However, I was assuming / hoping Germanic engineering more reliable than LR?

That's funny. German engineering...reliable...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV