Windshield replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

racehorse

Reaction score
Hi folks, a couple questions maybe you can help me figure out?
1. My 06SE drove through a brief windstorm that kicked up lots of headwind dust and dirt into the windshield, which has left it permanently pitted/scarred (think lots of stuff that looks like dirt but doesn't come off) do you know if windshield replacements such as this case fall under the dealer warranty? And if not, anyone know the cost of replacement? Thanks in advance.

FYI: My 06 also leaked water from inside the left airbag badge after a good rain recently and dealer fixed under warranty. Apparently has something to do with the drainage channels in case this happens to others.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually damage to the windscreen are not covered under warranty, and the replacement can be steep. If you get the dealer to put it in, you're probably looking at $900-$1000 for a replacement at most dealers. I had to have mine replaced after some fun offroading left two huge chunks missing out of the glass ;-)

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I would be surprised to learn if LR covers the windshield due to natural occurrences but it's worth a shot... I recently discovered that when i heat my windshield, i notice that not all of the fine wires (about 1/3) heat up. This should be under warranty without a question...

Rogo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be surprised to learn if LR covers the windshield due to natural occurrences but it's worth a shot... I recently discovered that when i heat my windshield, i notice that not all of the fine wires (about 1/3) heat up. This should be under warranty without a question...

I had the same problem with heater wires - about a foot wide right in front of the driver. Was indeed covered under warranty.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure there are no rock chips and such in your windscreen if you're taking it in for heating issues. Some dealers are quick to blame the chips for damaging heating elements etc. ;-)

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can sometimes buff out small sratches and pits from glass with and abrasive plastic glass lens cleaner

racehorse

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I'll do some research on the glass cleaners/scrubbers.

txAlfa

Reaction score
Another option may be insurance. Depending on your contract, you may have some sort of glass coverage that may/may not be subject to your deductible. Typically this can be covered under Comprehensive coverage and most companies will not penalize you for claims made under it (vs. Collision claims).

Many years ago I drove a Nissan Maxima through Flagstaff, AZ one winter. After driving all morning at less than 10 mph, I finally pulled into a rest stop. When I walked around to the front of my car, the front lip of the hood (which used to be blue) was primer colored and what I thought was ice/snow shavings on my windshield were an incredible number of pits in the glass formed by ice and whatever they put on the roads for traction (salt?). I never went that way again.

racehorse

Reaction score
Great idea. I actually learned yesterday my insurance company will replace after my deductible $100 so it's a deal. I'm wondering now, should I have dealer do it and get the original pilkington glass stamp on the windshield or let safelight (?) do it. In my porsche forums in the past I recall safetlight being a pretty reputable company. I'm just wondering if it matters getting it done at the dealer?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635