"Won't let you harm" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceRider

Reaction score
There are a plethora of rules on the various settings in the truck (height, 4wd, HDC, etc) regarding speeds at which you can adjust settings.

The salesperson told me "the vehicle will not let you damage it if you press something when you shouldn't." In other words, try to turn on HDC at 70 MPH, it won't work, hit Low gear button when on the highway, same thing, won't work.

Can anyone confirm that you can't do something stupid to the car?

Along the same lines, I've NEVER tried to throw any of my cars into reverse at speed and would assume you can't do that either, but I don't know. I know I could with a stick shift and hear that pleasant grinding, but what about an automatic?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the most part, no, it won't let you, and if you get to the point that it will, the truck will let you know about it, noises, lights, warnings...
Realistically the only thing you could do would be to go too fast and for too long in low range, ie, select it and drive around all day normally. Everything else is electronic, and will disable itself, but low range is a physical setting, electronically controlled, but parts physically move, so it will not automatically choose high range when you get to a certain speed.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you trying to train a monkey to drive a land rover or something? ...lol... sorry, but seems like a bit of a strange question.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, MBW!

I think that Roverguy covered most of it. The major thing, is when your off road is to go slow and keep an eye on your wheel lines. Nothing will stop you from putting your car in an impossible situation but you.

When you are on pavement, there is no reason to play with the buttons at speed ;)

AceRider

Reaction score
Are you trying to train a monkey to drive a land rover or something? ...lol... sorry, but seems like a bit of a strange question.

I AM a monkey.

I'm not playing with buttons, there just seems to be a lot of rules as to when/how you can do what and I don't want to F something up for lack of memorizing the manual word for word. Just wanted to confirm what I was told, that there are certain procedures but if you don't follow them, you won't do damage because the truck won't let you.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hehe... I think most cars are designed for monkeys and try to not let the driver hurt them. I usually test those systems on rental cars. :p You can still do damaging things to a transmission/engine/brakes, but probably not flat out bust something.

AceRider

Reaction score
Roger, thanks.

The lesson here is NEVER purchase a rental car....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roger, thanks.

The lesson here is NEVER purchase a rental car....
Hehe - especially one driven by mbw! :)

I do agree that the LR4 takes some getting used to as far as when you can switch to low range, terrain response, etc. As others have said, no need to ever touch any of that stuff on the road.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found myself doing two things on the LR though. First, I use my parking break alot more than I used to.
When doing so i will do the following:
1. Stop the car
2. engage the parking brake
3. put it in neutral
4. release the foot brake (car will move slightly if on an incline)
5. put car in park

I do this because one of the land rover drivers was explaining to me how much forces/stress is put on the parking pin in the transmission when you go into park with 5500lbs pulling at it.

Second, I will coast shift the car into low when im on the trail. This is at low speeds (under 20).
1. remove foot from gas
2. shift into neutral
3. press low/high
4. shift back into drive
5. resume gas

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found myself doing two things on the LR though. First, I use my parking break alot more than I used to.
When doing so i will do the following:
1. Stop the car
2. engage the parking brake
3. put it in neutral
4. release the foot brake (car will move slightly if on an incline)
5. put car in park

I do this because one of the land rover drivers was explaining to me how much forces/stress is put on the parking pin in the transmission when you go into park with 5500lbs pulling at it.

Second, I will coast shift the car into low when im on the trail. This is at low speeds (under 20).
1. remove foot from gas
2. shift into neutral
3. press low/high
4. shift back into drive
5. resume gas
Thanks, Kaaae!

I also use the parking brake a lot when on the trails - exactly how you do and it certainly saves the transmission.

Thanks for your second points - very helpful. I do the same, but often stop completely and this is a bit annoying on the trails.

So, you prefer going between low and high and not just staying in high - say if you are on dirt droads short distances and then obstacles, then more mud ruts, etc. I am asking because mostly the HDC only engages in low gear, so sometimes I am going down hills where it would be nice to have it engaged - though the hill may not need low gear.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo