"Won't let you harm" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually stay in low and shift on the fly as we get closer to camp. Some of the trails between the obstacles are not for high gear.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Second, I will coast shift the car into low when im on the trail. This is at low speeds (under 20).
1. remove foot from gas
2. shift into neutral
3. press low/high
4. shift back into drive
5. resume gas

That works, just remember you need to hold the hi/lo range button pressed for a second or two for low range to engage (light will blink momentarily.) It won't switch if you just briefly touch it.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually stay in low and shift on the fly as we get closer to camp. Some of the trails between the obstacles are not for high gear.
Sounds exactly like where I go (Hollister Hills SVRA). Thank you for all this advice.

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep Umbertob, I wait for the click and light confirmation.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HDC is fully functional in high range, not just low.
Works up to speeds of 19mph, and target speed is adjustable with the +/- switches on the wheel.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HDC is fully functional in high range, not just low.
Works up to speeds of 19mph, and target speed is adjustable with the +/- switches on the wheel.
Thanks, RoverGuy7!

You know after I posted that I sort of remembered HDC being active in high range, but wasn't sure if it needed to be activated (i.e., push the button) or just does it stay active until you push the button?

-David

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both high and low range HDC needs to be turned on, however some Terrain Response programs automatically engage it. It can always be engaged in low(depending on speed) but in high the transmission has to be in R, D or 1, manual selection of another gear in high range will not allow HDC to operate.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both high and low range HDC needs to be turned on, however some Terrain Response programs automatically engage it. It can always be engaged in low(depending on speed) but in high the transmission has to be in R, D or 1, manual selection of another gear in high range will not allow HDC to operate.
Awesome - thank you!

Yes, I recall now that when I am in low range and in certain terrain response programs, the HDC automatically seems to be enabled. This is helpful for when I am on a dirt road going down a steep hill, but it's not bad enough to need low range.

I appreciate your input!

Regards, David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing quite like the feeling of accidentally engaging HDC when you are on a city street, and then releasing the gas pedal as you approach a traffic light... I did that a few times on my 2006 RRS in the beginning, since the HDC button on that model is awkwardly positioned right under the arm rest release knob on the front console, and my knuckles would involuntarily hit it. After nearly slamming my nose on the steering wheel airbag a few times too many as HDC engaged to keep me from careening down the road, I learned to keep my fingers well clear of that yellow button. :biggrin: Fortunately, the HDC button on the LR3/4 is well out of the way.

AceRider

Reaction score
See, now this comment totally confuses me. I thought HDC only works on hills and that you can keep it on while driving under 50 MPH and it won't hinder you unless going down a hill? It says in the manual that you can engage it at speeds up to 50 MPH. The manual mentions numerous times "descent" and "hills." Does this function as a speed control on any gradient, flat or otherwise, or only as descent control on a hill?

Unfortunately there's not a hill near me; maybe I'll go to a parking garage ramp and play with it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo