"Won't let you harm" question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing quite like the feeling of accidentally engaging HDC when you are on a city street, and then releasing the gas pedal as you approach a traffic light... I did that a few times on my 2006 RRS in the beginning, since the HDC button on that model is awkwardly positioned right under the arm rest release knob on the front console, and my knuckles would involuntarily hit it. After nearly slamming my nose on the steering wheel airbag a few times too many as HDC engaged to keep me from careening down the road, I learned to keep my fingers well clear of that yellow button. :biggrin: Fortunately, the HDC button on the LR3/4 is well out of the way.
Wow - that's scary. I am glad they relocated the HDC button for the LR3/LR4!

I am not sure if you experienced this, but sometimes when I am driving around the obstacle course or off-roading I accidently hit the heated steering wheel button. I know you are supposed to keep your fingers on the outside, but when you are turning your wheel sometimes it is easy to depress it.

AceRider

Reaction score
Umberto, your scenarios is exactl why I don't want to hit the HDC button at 45 MPH, even though the manual says it's possible. Is it going to slow me from 45 to 2 MPH even if you're not on a hill?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just double checked the manuals. The '11 manual says it can be set to maintain a speed as high as 19mph in high range, 12mph in low, and can be selected at speeds of up to 30mph, but will disable at speeds above 50mph. I take this to mean it will function at 30 and lower, trying to get you down to 19 or below, and if you exceed 50 it is as if you deselected it.
The '12 manual has no mention of the 19mph max set speed, but the same with the 30 and 50. I believe it is the same on both years and that 19 is the highest target speed you can select. It isn't designed for coming down a mountain on a highway and not overheating your brakes, it's for descending a steep grade that may cause wheel lock up if the brakes are manually used to control speed.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But you being on a hill or not plays no part in it's operation. It's wheel speed dependent, actual incline has no bearing on it's function.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And HDC engaging at speed is definitly a shock, but it's not going to put you through the windshield. Now hitting the parking brake at speed will stop you quick.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, I wouldn't dream of engaging HDC (unless by mistake, see above...) at high speeds. I am pretty sure your speed needs to fall below a certain threshold - 25 or 30mph - before HDC will engage, even though you can turn it on at higher speeds. And yes, if you let go of the gas pedal to coast and are gong slow enough, HDC will assume you are on a downhill slope and slow you down in a hurry. Gradually mind you, but quick enough - and making enough of a racket - to get your attention. If you don't expect it, it's quite disconcerting...

Last edited:

Kaaae

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm scared to hit my parking break at any speed.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The parking brake doesn't actually apply when you're above 2 mph, but it applies full brake force with maximum ABS activation. Stops the car pretty quick.

AceRider

Reaction score
The parking brake doesn't actually apply when you're above 2 mph, but it applies full brake force with maximum ABS activation. Stops the car pretty quick.

More confusion then. The 2012 manual says parking brake can be used in an emergency as long as you arent on the gas at the same time

AceRider

Reaction score
But you being on a hill or not plays no part in it's operation. It's wheel speed dependent, actual incline has no bearing on it's function.

So its smply a speed regulator? If its on then its totally regulating your speed regardless of terrain unless you are going over 50 mph?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo