Would you buy another one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't disagree with anything anyone has posted thus far...and yes, I would buy it again. ...but that's because I've really taken to off-roading as a hobby. If I just needed an SUV to haul kids around in, drive in snow in and maybe take on the occasional camping trip then I'd consider other vehicles. If reliability was a heavy criterion for me, then I'd definitely look at other vehicles.

The Lexus GX470 (now 460) is a good rig and is fairly capable. It's nice and has Lexus reputation for reliability behind it. That would top my list.

Last edited:

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as I am able there will be a Landy in my driveway.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Lexux GX470 (now 460) is a good rig and is fairly capable. It's nice and has Lexus reputation for reliability behind it. That would top my list.

Lexus is made by Toyota and although they have been one of the more reliable brands in the past years, the more recent ones are actually trying to **** people.

A Jackson

Reaction score
For certain!

I have owned an LR3 (2006) and a Disco 2 (2003). In both cases I found the trucks to be reliable. Did I have an occasional problem to work through, yes I did. In the end the Land Rovers I have owned proved and prove to be more reliable than the VW's I owned. They are also both more reliable than the BMW I owned. Specifically in regards to the LR3! Wonderful truck!

I would also disagree you must drive off road to value the LR3. I have driven my LR3 ~25000 miles since it was purchased in July. Many of these miles were long distance trips across Wisconsin and through the UP of Michigan. Often I am driving for 8 to 9 hours in any given day. After such long drives in any of the cars I have owned before the LR3 I have been worn out (including the Disco 2). After the same drive in the LR3 I have felt unscathed. Given the requirements of work to carry a LOT of gear the cavernous storage is a major plus, and with a MPG of 18 to 19 on the highway (this is not a mixed number between city and highway), I am a very happy owner!

Certainly the LR3 shines off road, but as a long distance vehicle it is a joy! I would buy again in a moment!

Regards!

A Jackson

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This thread is going to be pure opinion, keep that in mind. I agree understand everyone's viewpoints, they are valid.

If not for the off-road part, there are lots of SUVs that offer a fair amount of cargo space and are a lot more sporty on-road. The X5 comes to mind....hell, as does the Range Rover Sport!

It's not that you must drive off-road to value the LR3, but rather it's the off-road ability of the LR3 that sets it apart.

zulu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive already told my wife that the bar has been set.. next car will be a LR..

rpxr400

Reaction score
This thread is going to be pure opinion, keep that in mind. I agree understand everyone's viewpoints, they are valid.

If not for the off-road part, there are lots of SUVs that offer a fair amount of cargo space and are a lot more sporty on-road. The X5 comes to mind....hell, as does the Range Rover Sport!

It's not that you must drive off-road to value the LR3, but rather it's the off-road ability of the LR3 that sets it apart.

Thanks Houm. I asked the question because I want everybody's opinion. I want to know how many people of those that respond would buy one again. I guess I'm trying to weigh if the issues are worth dealing with. If we were top buy one, there would be VERY LITTLE offroad driving. She would use it as a daily commuter.
I've asked her to consider the X5. She doesn't like the way they look, and in fact, I was in one the other day and was rather unimpressed by it's interior space. The RRS is definitely out of our price range.

The other concern I have is that several people RECOMMEND getting the extended warranty. That doesn't sit well with me. i believe that generally speaking, a vehicle should perform well and present few (minor) problems. Sure - you can get a lemon of any model, but it should be the exception, and I shouldn't "need" to buy another $2-4k waranty to cover my butt - especially with a vehicle this expensive.

I agree with her that they are nice looking vehicles, but am having major reservations.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Houm. I asked the question because I want everybody's opinion. I want to know how many people of those that respond would buy one again. I guess I'm trying to weigh if the issues are worth dealing with. If we were top buy one, there would be VERY LITTLE offroad driving. She would use it as a daily commuter.
I've asked her to consider the X5. She doesn't like the way they look, and in fact, I was in one the other day and was rather unimpressed by it's interior space. The RRS is definitely out of our price range.

The other concern I have is that several people RECOMMEND getting the extended warranty. That doesn't sit well with me. i believe that generally speaking, a vehicle should perform well and present few (minor) problems. Sure - you can get a lemon of any model, but it should be the exception, and I shouldn't "need" to buy another $2-4k waranty to cover my butt - especially with a vehicle this expensive.

I agree with her that they are nice looking vehicles, but am having major reservations.

Acura MDX? Very safe, reliable, etc...

Like some others have said the real reason to buy a LR3 is its offroad capability. Those attributes are the same ones that would not make it a top choice for a daily driver that stays on the road. It is a truck, not a tall car. It is heavy, a little slower in the corners than some of the car-based SUVs, and it gets mediocre fuel mileage. Some of the complex mechanics that make it a good offroader are also prone to having problems, the air suspension for example.

I have only had mine for a few months and havent done any serious offroading yet, but I do have plans to. I would buy another one.

Last edited:

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I explored all the options before buying the LR3. The Range Rover and Range Rover Sport are very nice and the Range Rover has prob. the best interior appointments of any SUV bar none. But they were lacking cargo space, and its not like I haul a lot of stuff but when I do I wanted more flexability. I looked at the MB ML and BMW X5 and they were ok but the ML was small and the X5's looks are so dated I cant stand it. The MB GL550 is beautiful but big $$ for a new one. The MDX and Lexus, lack personality and soul, I just dont feel inspired by them. Lets face it you aren't going to buy an American car. Audi Q7 I cannot comment on since I haven't driven one, but it seems to be fairly well priced. VW Touareg/Porsche Cayenne?? Not my choice. Volvo XC 90 are reliable and very nice but again dated looks. I have over 90k on my LR3 and it hasn't been any worse reliability wise than my 2005 MB c230 or my 2006 Honda S2000. But it is an English car ( and I've owned many) and they can be a labor of love. The top reasons I bought the LR3 was

1. Flexability
2. Off-Road ability
3. Looks
4. Land Rover heritage
5. Drives much better than you think a 5700 lb monster would.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ rpxr: I think you've gotten a lot of feedback now!

My advice is to just go out and drive 'em all. That's what I did...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo