Wrangler HP tread life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your quote w6000, it looks like I was getting ripped. I'd still rather get all season/all terrain tires than dedicated snow tires, but just might end up with another pair of Hak's. I've spent hours looking for tires, but this site seems to be right, Sumitomo or Nittos are about it for all terrains.

W

w6000

I spent about 4 months; talking to different owners and tire stores. I came up with my own conclusions. Which were 1) nothing is better than dedicated snow tires. 2) "off road" does not mean that the tire is good in the snow. 3) The owners of the tire stores themselves used Nokians.

B

bartbrown2

I too think the HPs stink! 15000 and needing replacement. Yes they seem to be a soft compound but traction in the snow (at least for braking) is not acceptable. I live in Steamboat SPrings, CO where we receive over 300" of snow annually.

I just recenetly placed Nokian WR on our other vehicle and couldn't be happier - VERY solid!

I'll probably be placing Nokian Haks on my LR3 as there really isn't any other tire options at this point. I also did notice that Nokian's site lists the Hak as a summer tire as well so hopefully tread life will be good.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I'll probably be placing Nokian Haks on my LR3 as there really isn't any other tire options at this point. I also did notice that Nokian's site lists the Hak as a summer tire as well so hopefully tread life will be good."

Only the Nokian WR is for use in the summer and winter, I don't believe that tire is available in 255 60 18. I will probably end up with the Nokian suv (hak) in this size for the winter, and switch back to stock crapola in the summer. W6000 was right, they are available online for $220 w/free shipping online.
BTW, very VERY jealous of you in Steamboat Spr.

edit: WR is available in slightly smaller 255 55 18. Maybe 1/2 inch shorter?

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sgllr3

I see most posts recommend tires other than stock. It also sounds like I'll be needing new tires on my LR3 HSE (purchased) within a year. Outrageous!

Most posts have specific concerns, ie, off road, snow/winter tires, etc. I live in the mild climate of So. Cal. My car will see RARE snow or light off road only if a trip is planned. I have on occasion traveled (pre-LR3) between Nebraska and Cali during blizzards. I will never change tires seasonally, because, well, I don't have 'meaningful' seasons. Therefore, I'm no tire expert. But I do take these posts to heart and I will need new tires. Any advice?

M

milr3

Maybe I have been lucky with my HPs since I got my loaded SE in May, but after 17,000 miles (95% on-road) I still have just over 3/8" of tread left on the rears and about 3/8" on the fronts. I project in excess of 30K before replacement. (way better than the 15K I got on my last set for the Audi TT Quattro). The tires have been rotated every 5K. The car is driven relatively hard but has a high proportion of its miles on the highway. Using the "snow" setting does improve traction in the snow but the tires are clearly a compromise.

BTW: My mileage to date is 17.6 mpg with an average speed for the 17K of over 50 mph so I can't complain about gas mileage.

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My goodyears last me 17,500 miles with my left rear tire wearing down to the nylon towards the inner part of the tire(negative camber?) I went to discount tire saturday and they didn't have any 255 60 18's in stock nor could they get any, other then the GY wranglers(stockers). So I'm gonna go with Yokohoma Geolanders 265 60 18's (60,000mile treadwear)

Note: car is at dealers for hood sensor fix and they're checking on the tire wear, guys at Discount tire said the wear is not normal and that it's something mechanical and not due to low tire pressure or over inflation(dealer's excuse b4)

X

xcursion

How about the Pirelli Scopion Zeros? Anyone knows if they are any good? They are listed as OE.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to bring up the G word, but does anybody have any experience with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor? They are available in 265-60-18, only 1/2 inch taller than stock. The discount tire dude (who I've kind of come to trust) has assured me that:
A.) The wrangler HP is among the worst tires there is and I won't get anywhere near 30,000 miles out of it.
B.) The silent armor is one of the best tires out there, in terms of quiet, durability, all season traction.

Should I believe him?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72