Wrangler HP tread life

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. First post, I've been reading a while and enjoy the website very much. My question is this...has anyone needed to replace their Wranglers yet? If so, at how many miles. I leased my LR3 to 30,000 miles (8500 so far, no problems whatsoever!). If I will need to replace them before I turn in the vehicle, then I'd get some Nittos now and put these lousy tires back on to turn it in.

Driving in the snow with the stock tires is equivalent to trying to ice skate barefoot! My current snow tires are quite costly. They are the Nokian Hakkepelliitas and they are so expensive because they are still attached to my '99 RR-which I didn't trade in yet. It runs absolute circles around the LR3 in the snow.

I read that this december, 48% of the country had snowcover, which is a record (for any month). My opinion is that LR owes us all a HUUUUGE apology for putting the lousiest tires I have ever seen on such a fine truck.

Roverman

W

w6000

I put on nokian tires this winter. I have 13000 miles on the stock goodyears and I think they would need to be replaced around 16000 miles. The nokian's are so good that i will just leave them on.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HP = JUNK. Get something else you like now and put the HP's back on later. The only way you could get 30k is if you were driving on fluffy pink clouds. Back in reality, you will wear them out far before 30k.

That's what I'm going to do when my car comes in!

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised at the short life you've experienced. Mine show barely any wear at 8500 miles, but it sounds like they are probably 1/2 gone. I kind of figured that since the tread isn't actually used for traction of any sort that it would last a while.

W6000, when the weather gets over about 45 - 50 degrees, I'd think about taking the Nokians off.

W

w6000

roverman said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm surprised at the short life you've experienced. Mine show barely any wear at 8500 miles, but it sounds like they are probably 1/2 gone. I kind of figured that since the tread isn't actually used for traction of any sort that it would last a while.

W6000, when the weather gets over about 45 - 50 degrees, I'd think about taking the Nokians off.

Why take them off?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because snow tires are made of a very soft rubber compound - so they won't get too rigid in cold climates, offering better traction. Soft rubber doesn't like heat too much, and will wear out very fast. I have no idea how fast, I've never tried it. It's just what I was told. I usually put mine on around Nov 1 and take them off apr 1.

May I ask how much you paid for your tires? Are they stock size? I just got a quote for $1350.00 for four, thought that was terrible. I only paid about $500 for four 16" tires for my '99

W

w6000

roverman said:
Because snow tires are made of a very soft rubber compound - so they won't get too rigid in cold climates, offering better traction. Soft rubber doesn't like heat too much, and will wear out very fast. I have no idea how fast, I've never tried it. It's just what I was told. I usually put mine on around Nov 1 and take them off apr 1.

May I ask how much you paid for your tires? Are they stock size? I just got a quote for $1350.00 for four, thought that was terrible. I only paid about $500 for four 16" tires for my '99

I paid $1100 installed, but I found out later you can order them on e-bay for $220 per tire with free delivery.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stockers are fine in the snow.

Our driveway in the mountains genearlly has 1-3 feet of snow this time of the year at a 10 percent grade for 200 feet. Zero issues.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steve c said:
Stockers are fine in the snow.

Our driveway in the mountains genearlly has 1-3 feet of snow this time of the year at a 10 percent grade for 200 feet. Zero issues.

Wow, what a different opinion! I have never had a worse tire on an suv for hardpack snow/ice/slush in my life. (michelin XPC's were close). I gave it my 20mph test with about 1/2 inch of snow/slush on a flat street - took about 65-70 feet to stop with the antilock/traction control clicking and buzzing all the way. My opinion is it is outright dangerous. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Has anyone had the Nittos terra grapplers in the snow yet?

W

w6000

roverman said:
Wow, what a different opinion! I have never had a worse tire on an suv for hardpack snow/ice/slush in my life. (michelin XPC's were close). I gave it my 20mph test with about 1/2 inch of snow/slush on a flat street - took about 65-70 feet to stop with the antilock/traction control clicking and buzzing all the way. My opinion is it is outright dangerous. Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Has anyone had the Nittos terra grapplers in the snow yet?

I agree. I don't know how anyone could think that the goodyears are good in the snow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72