Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but if I buy the tow package, does that include the receiver hitch or is it extra?

I do not need a heavy duty one - it will be for small trailers (kayaks) and bike racks.

stew77

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question, but if I buy the tow package, does that include the receiver hitch or is it extra?

I do not need a heavy duty one - it will be for small trailers (kayaks) and bike racks.

Hayseed, I assume you are inquiring about the Land Rover LR4 optional tow package. Yes, if you buy the optional tow package from Land Rover it includes the detachable receiver hitch and also includes the wiring necessary to activate your hitch pin connection to provide brake lights and turn signals to what you are towing. Of course if it's a bike rack, you wont need the electronics, but they will be there.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also there is this -- but need to check it against a 2015.

Longtime lurker, and have been very interested in the towing options for the LR4 (so, my apologies for the long first post). We purchased a preowned 2012 LR4 LUX mid last year (absolutely loving it by the way!).

Our previous tow vehicle was a 2002 Toyota Sequoia and it served our needs very well and very reliably towing our Hearland Northtrail 31QBS Travel Trailer. This is an ultra-light travel trailer with a dry weight of ~ 5400lbs (we figure all loaded up, we are running around 6200-6500lbs.

We purchased this vehicle as a replacement vehicle, serving duties transporting kids and dogs all over the place, but also as a vehicle that would also be serving as our tow vehicle for our camping adventures (also love to get off the beaten path offroad here in Colorado, and remain MORE than impressed with the offroad abilities of the LR4...but you all know that already!)

I bought the vehicle originally convinced that the LR4 was up to the task of towing heavy loads using the most recent LR4 branded "short" receiver hitch that has replaced the older, highly leveraged, "plow" design.

After seeing the Land Rover recall announced late last year (granted, only announced for the UK market only and not in the USA), it created some concerns for me in towing a relatively heavy load, especially with a Weight Distribution Hitch, over the long term as some of the language in the recall seemed to point to some long term "wear" issues that can result between the restraining pin and the hitch assembly.
link here:
http://www.lro.com/news/land-rover/1509/faulty-tow-bars-mean-major-land-rover-recall/

I'm not saying the LR4 hitch would not be up to the task of towing our camper, but it created some concerns in my mind, and when I'm towing, I place safety (and safety margin if I can get it) at the top of the list.

After looking at several options I made the decision to go with Todd's solution (username: "tlt" in the post above). His Rhino Hitch gives me a true Class IV rated hitch (rated at 8,000 lbs for conventional towing, and 10,000 lbs for weight distribution configuration towing), that is also a high-rise design that will not interfere with my full size spare (very important for us, as we do go offroad and need the reliability of a full-size spare). It also offers the advantage of maintaining the excellent departure angles of the LR4, and allows me to feel much more comfortable towing with our "Equalizer" WDH which I feel is a must for trailer loads over 5000 lbs.

Todd has taken the detailed time to design (and also optimize the design through prototype testing with real LR customers that are using both regular and Weight Distribution Hitch towing configurations). In additional, he has certified the hitch through testlink services in the USA (testing twice to different levels of certification, including WDH configuration).

I think it's the best design for my towing needs and will provide me with that extra level of safety margin as we tow our camper this upcoming summer.

Here are a few pics of Todd's hitch setup (including one of his customers towing with his LR3 and a Reese WDH):

stew77

Reaction score
Received my Rhino Hitch from Todd and got it installed this past weekend! :beer:

Hitch is amazingly built, and I want to thank Todd for designing and manufacturing the best hitch hands-down (IMO) for towing with the LR4 & RRS!!! (especially for those of us that are towing heavy loads > 5000 lbs). Very much looking forward to doing some practice towing runs with the travel trailer by the end of the month before the camping season begins.

Here a few quick shots with mine installed (ended up going for the FERROGRAIN finish, which is the more matte finish and also a great match for the lower trim finish on my LR4). A couple shots in the full-sun, and one in the shade.

Attachments

• DSC05860r.jpg
    DSC05860r.jpg
    424.9 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC05861r.jpg
    DSC05861r.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC05866r.jpg
    DSC05866r.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

stew77

Reaction score
Nice, clean-looking setup!

Thanks very much Chris. I agree with you, the Rhino Hitch installed is a very clean setup. I received your PM, and as you suggested, thought I'd answer your questions in this thread for the benefit of the forum. :smile:

You asked about installation of the Rhino Hitch and if I installed it myself. Yes, the Rhino Hitch bolts on, as well as, interfaces with the factory recovery point on the LR4 (and LR3). Todd supplied both bushings with my hitch, and each bushing is labeled for LR4 or LR3 application. It was easily installed by me, but I took my time making sure everything got tightened and torqued up securely. (I would note that the template included with the hitch to guide you through cutting the plastic cover is not quite exact, so it just required some fit checks and additional cuts depending on how tightly toleranced you want the plastic cover to fit when it is re-installed after hitch installation).

You asked about my impressions (any tradeoffs) after having it for a little over a month. Unfortunately, I can only speak to the non-towing so far (but I will plan to provide some updated info once I've had a chance to tow with it). As far as trade-offs, the only trade-off is that the hitch is physically visible, but I think the design is overall very attractive and unobtrusive (visually, it does lend a rough-and-ready look to the rear of the LR4 I must say).

The hitch does not get in the way at all...no issues or hindrances to accessing the rear hatch and tailgate, and I should also note that I have not had any issues with the parking sensors going off with the hitch in place. I believe Todd specifically designed the hitch to not interfere with the rear parking sensors, so no need to worry about going in and turning the sensors off when not towing. I would note that for those that are towing with a Weight Distribution Hitch (Equalizer, Reese, etc), you will likely need to notch or cut the male insert portion of your Equalizer/Reese hitch bar so that when you mount the hitch, you have clearance to install the safety pin. This seems to be the case for WDH bars only as they seem to be slightly longer than a regular non-WDH hitches (this is the distance from the deepest portion of the hitch bar to the safety pin hole). The low profile design of the hitch receptacle seems to contribute to this. I had to shorten my Equalizer hitch bar by a small 0.25" in order for it not to bottom out against the LR4 tow point, but I don't see any issues with that, as it is such a small change to the hitch bar length. (Todd had a Reese WDH customer that had to do the same thing).

Bottom line, I'm REALLY looking forward to towing with it soon, if I can get the schedule to open up a bit! I definitely want to do a practice tow before we start camping this summer.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Chris

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks very much Chris. I agree with you, the Rhino Hitch installed is a very clean setup. I received your PM, and as you suggested, thought I'd answer your questions in this thread for the benefit of the forum. :smile:

Thanks for the detailed update, Chris. This is sounding more and more like a good fit for my upcoming needs. I will probably be moving my daughter from her college apartment soon and a U-Haul will probably be involved. That will be a good test run with a relatively light load. I'm hopeful to get into a heavier travel trailer someday soon and kick it up a notch.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing how things go under actual towing conditions.

stew77

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. Yes, your U-Haul should be a breeze to tow but the Rhino will give you the ability to not be concerned about a heavier travel trailer someday.

Will definitely post an update after I've had a chance to tow with it!

Thanks for the detailed update, Chris. This is sounding more and more like a good fit for my upcoming needs. I will probably be moving my daughter from her college apartment soon and a U-Haul will probably be involved. That will be a good test run with a relatively light load. I'm hopeful to get into a heavier travel trailer someday soon and kick it up a notch.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing how things go under actual towing conditions.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to tow with it yet, stew77? Or maybe it's still snowing in CO!

My daughter graduated on Sunday and accepted a job offer today so I'll be helping her complete her move out of her campus apartment in the next few weeks.

I just ordered the AtlanticBritish wiring kit and am about to place my Rhino hitch order. I suppose I'll need a longer draw bar also. Looking forward to it.

stew77

Reaction score
Had a chance to tow with it yet, stew77? Or maybe it's still snowing in CO!

My daughter graduated on Sunday and accepted a job offer today so I'll be helping her complete her move out of her campus apartment in the next few weeks.

I just ordered the AtlanticBritish wiring kit and am about to place my Rhino hitch order. I suppose I'll need a longer draw bar also. Looking forward to it.

Have not had a chance to tow with it yet Chris...BUT :proud: , I finally installed the brake controller (I'm running a Tekonsha Prodigy P3) this week, and I'm ready for a test tow before we start our camping season next month!

I will post an update on how it goes!!! Stay tuned!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72