05 Disco...I mean LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, I saw the pics in the Gallery, and I want to be the first to say I hate it.

What were they thinking, moving the spare off the back door but keeping the stepped rear window as if it's still there?

Also, from the angles I've seen it doesn't look like there is any bumper to speak of in front of the headlights and grille. Am I just missing that?

I'm going to have to get that SIII or a nice IIA 109" to be happy -- I can see that now...

Damn, did they appear to ruin a nice truck. Gadgets don't impress me either, so don't tell me about the Genuine Serengeti Elephant Hunt Power-Assist Grocery Bag Loader, or the Kalahari Electronic Power Suspension Control, or whatever. It's just another f**king relay and fuse in a vehicle with millions of them already, and in funky spots, and without real diagrams of where anything really is.

:hmpf:

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody has an opinion on this thing?

I'm not looking for an argument -- just soliciting opinions...

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll shoot. I am disappointed with the looks for one. I was trying to imagine what the thing would look like with a lift, some big tires, a cool front bumper, hella 4000's . . . eeewww.

Thats all I think about it for now. I do want to know how they handle off-road, but I think I already know the answer.

T

Thonglaw

While reading your opinion I was reminded of the Jeep TJ Rubicon and the newly re-extended CJ8 version. Jeep knows that many of the buyers of TJ's use them for more than running groceries by "soccer moms". LR seems to be headed in the opposite direction.

Yes, the Land Rover is in a different class than TJ's...it's better in many respects. Yet, LR seems to have gone the soccer mom route than the functionality route. I'd like to see a simpler rig that's a bit more back to basics than this plasticky Hot Wheels toy they've spit out. They're going the route of the Land Cruiser and i just don't get it. LR has a long history of being tough and of being able to go anywhere the owner wants it to go...and oh yes, you can them pick up the groceries and take them back over the Kalahari if need be.

Plastic looks nice. Gadgets can be cool. But if I'm stuck in the middle of the woods because my Kenya Rack with the automatic grocery loader burnt out my starter then I couldn't give a rat fart. I pray that they'll see the light and at least make one version that, if it breaks, can be fixed solely with baling wire and duct tape. Hell, I'd even pay the $350 they'd want for the LR logo'd kit. :)

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thonglaw said:
LR seems to have gone the soccer mom route than the functionality route.
Well Put. I agree about the direction that Land Rover is taking. The only thing that gives me hope is the new Defender concept car (here). That thing looks tough. I mean, it will be sad to see the Defender model that has been out for so many years, but that is one vehicle I would not mind riding around in. As for the rest of Land Rover, I have little hope.

Last edited:
T

Thonglaw

Nice looking rig. I hope they really do build it. It reminds me an awful lot of early Broncos tho...

C

chicagorovers

Lr3

I dont think its a good idea to rip this truck apart quite yet. How many forum posters have driven it off road yet??? Remember...it has a center AND rear Diff lock which is a great improvement. As far as the electronics go...all I know is that my "mechanical" diff lock linkage was rusted solid and my transfer case fell apart (like many others) on my 98 Disco. I agree that the style and appearance this truck are not the greatest, but Id bet anyone that if the LR3 took on the Series 2 on the same off-road course....it would do equally good or better. Remember, Land Rovers are luxury SUV's. Taking that into consideration your never going to get the off road ability of a super heavy duty pick up. I think the LR 3 will be better than any vehicle in its class though (Jeep, Xterra, 4 Runner, Acura , Bmw, ect...) but well have to wait and see.

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe you are all correct to a degree...however, this world is driven by "new ideas" , and the functional want-list of a narrow band of "performance enthusiasts " is not the catalist that drives this marketplace...it's money. So we will all continue to pledge our allegiance to quality ideas, and functional application, and we will remain faithful to the ideal of "having a damn radical good time, with well built machines that FEEL GOOD!" I like the down-to- business look of the new defender, and yes, it does look like the old Ford Bronco...but so what, I owned 5 of them, and loved em all.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we will all have to wait until it comes out. As for me, when I am older I will want to restore a 1992 Classic, and have a 96' Defender for fun. That is if I have the money of course.

Y

YollyBollyRvr

I don't understand the comment about the tailgate. Isn't that from the Rangie?
Yes, the body does look like the Element on steroids.
All comments about the LR3 going soccer mom soft may be true, but IF they bring back the Defender then all bets are off.
The ONLY way the Defender will come back to NA is if LR follows the regs (US govt roadblocks). Since the Defender is the only "universal" (geographical) vehicle, LR may have a tuff time with so-called US higher standards.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112