05 Disco...I mean LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
"like some of it's ford bastard cousins have?"..That has to be the funniest thing I have heard today. For some reason I thought you lived in UK Lonnie. We have a house @ Table Rock Lake ...I did not realize that you lived in Missouri. Fun place to be!!
Melissa N

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, Melissa, Missouri, USA. When I registered on this forum, the system must have went a little "LUCAS" for a moment, because I selected US & it gave me UK. I did get in to correct it last week, though. And yes, MO is the "Fun Place" for scores of thousands of people every year! But most of them just "skim the surface" of our state, usually on one of the many lakes. I live nearest to Lake of the Ozarks but Table Rock is just a couple hours away, as is pretty much everything in the state! I rode in an Amphicar on T-Rock when I was young, but that is one of those crazy missouri stories that make "Men faint & Women swear" and can only be repeated around campfires late @ night! Mark Twain nat'l forest is about 30 minutes away & offers 2,300 miles of off-road roads & trails. Only 1 hour to Moab! (Missouri) and many other beautiful & romantic senic overlooks, caves, and creeks. Some of these can be driven over/in/through (respectively) w/Rovers & such. Thank You! LRW.

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I m sorry

I am sorry to say i like it. It looks new and i like that. my D1 is looking old now, but i wont buy a d2 because i feal the d1 is better. i want the lr3 to succeed and do both, give me leather seats with ac and rip it up in the back woods. Remember with out new technology we can never move forward. think back some one said lets make a 4x4, then some one said lets make lockers and soon some one will say lets make a solid axle kit for the lr3 and life will be good again.

but if any one has a d1 spair tire holder let me know i need it for my new LR3 :biggrin:

M

montanablur

Look at it this way... We will soon be owners of a classic.

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think anyone should try to mount a spare on a genuine bracket on the door of a lr3. The door was not built for it and I'm sure it will fall off. A swing away tire carrier would really be the stuff dreams are made of. Just make sure to safety pin the release for no unexpected spare tire deployments while wheeling! Putting the spare on the back will definitly make the ugly a little less and probably add some ground clearance. Justin, I wish to express "no need for sorrow" as we all must have some kind of love for the ugly or we wouldn't be driving Rovers in the first place! My "move forward" progress will continue in my old technology D1, which is really much more complicated than a vehicle need be! Thank You, LRW.

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was just joking about the tire holder. i need it for the hood of my d1

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fivespddisco said:
i was just joking about the tire holder. i need it for the hood of my d1

Please please be kidding

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergi why do you thing it wont work. I want to bring 2 extra tires with me but the roof rack has a floor and it is to heavy already, it was just an idea

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you werent kidding then..

I am not very good with translation of those specific terms, but we used to call it "tired metal". Thats what you will get if you put spare onto hood directly. Same thing goes for putting it straight onto roof too btw.

Basically sheet metal is gonna "get tired" of supporting weight or spare wheel and will sag.
In worst case it can actually get rips like if it will be made from some cloth.

You will need to make some clever mounting that will be like spider, and rest on frame points.

And before you will go off and buy hitch mounted carrier - dont do it either :) Frame isnt exactly designed to support vertical loads beyound existing points (dragging is different story) - so unless you get frame stiffeners (i seen some for XTerras, not sure if someone making those for Disco) - you can actually damage bloody thing. Frame mounted swing-away carriers has same issue.

Best thing for dragging extra loads and not take out all the inside space - is to just buy one of those ex-MOD trailers. I think i seen them for as low as 400$.

Alternatively just stop damaging tires :)

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this would be a extra hood just for trail runs. an i have never lost a tire on a run im just looking for some insurance. the hood will be renforced and i think it will be fine.

ps i am still looking for a hood

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112