2015 or 2013

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had to choose, would you get the 2015 model or the 2013 model with the v8 engine? I'm debating on which one. I've driven the 2013 and it's pretty powerful, almost the same as my RRSSC. But I'm worried that the v6 won't be sufficient for me. Anyone driven a v6 and v8? If so, what are your thoughts?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 has the V8 and the two speed xfer case as standard. Do either have the HD pack?

Its a no brainer to me, but I prefer the transmission on the 13 also and the shifter... and the terrain response dial (not buttons).

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for the LUX package. I assume the LUX package comes with the HD pack? I'm not picky about the shifter either.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 has the V8 and the two speed xfer case as standard. Do either have the HD pack?

Its a no brainer to me, but I prefer the transmission on the 13 also and the shifter... and the terrain response dial (not buttons).

I agree with MBW. Since you are looking for HD pack I assume you want to use it for off roading. :proud::proud:
unfortunately HD pack on all 2010-2013 LR4 was $750, or so, option ( full size spare , rear locker.). Two speed transfer case was standard on every 2010-2013 LR4. If you can find one with HD it would be great.
You should test drive both and decide what works for you. I love V8 and prefer terrain response dial and traditional shifter on 2013.
I do not want to start the battle regarding V8 vs. V6SC. It looks like people who bought 2014 V6SC are happy with the them. My question is what happens when you start adding accessories to the truck. How V6SC LR4 performs with additional weight in daily driving and when off roading.
You will easily put extra 300-400 pounds just getting proper tires and skid plates.
I have a heavy tactical rovers underbody protection ( love it), and heavy 265/65R18 BFG TA tires and doing ok with 6 people in a truck.
I heard used V8 LR4s keep their value pretty well so what is the difference in price between 2015 and 2013?

andyboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Difference in price is about $15-20k. How can I tell from pics that the 2013 comes in the HD pack?

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Difference in price is about $15-20k. How can I tell from pics that the 2013 comes in the HD pack?

Easiest way to spot it is a full sized spare underneath the back. If it is a donut tire, it probably does not have the HD package. If you are viewing the truck in person, just go to the 4x4 info screen and look for two locker icons. (One on the center diff and one on the rear axle) If it only has one center diff locker, it is non-HD.

For the 2014+ model, it's very simple to see. If there is a Hi / Lo range switch on the terrain response panel, it has an HD pack.

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to spot it is a full sized spare underneath the back. If it is a donut tire, it probably does not have the HD package. If you are viewing the truck in person, just go to the 4x4 info screen and look for two locker icons. (One on the center diff and one on the rear axle) If it only has one center diff locker, it is non-HD.

For the 2014+ model, it's very simple to see. If there is a Hi / Lo range switch on the terrain response panel, it has an HD pack.

As well, register at topix.landrover.jlrext.com and you can plug in VIN to see equipment list.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2014 and I love it. That said, I would welcome a more traditional shifter and I wouldn't mind the V8 at all. SCV6 has been great but I wouldn't choose it over the V8. If you can get a low-mileage, good condition 2013 LUX w/ HD and for less money I would go for it. Unless you want the adaptive cruise control (new w/ 2015) and vision assist (new w/ 2014). (I think I'm correct on those.) It looks like the 2013s are holding their value pretty well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM