Clear Bra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking into getting a clear bra for my new LR4. The shop I called said they would have to remove the "LAND ROVER" letters from the hood to do this, and also would have to purchase a new set of letters because it would be too difficult to put the old letters back. Apparently when you buy the set of letters, it comes with a guide that makes it easy to get it applied properly.

They also offer a package which includes the front bumper, side view mirrors, door handles, and headlights. This sounds like a good package, but I'm wondering if it's really necessary to do the headlights. Would the clear adhesive have any negative effects on the headlights?

Part of me is thinking maybe I shouldn't bother with any of this, as I do plan on taking my LR4 off-roading and it will inevitably get somewhat scratched up....

Anyway, would love to hear your opinions. Did you get a clear bra? How much did you get covered?

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Purchasing new letters sounds right to me. They would be a nightmare to cut around. Unless you do a lot of highway driving with traffic I don't see the value in the protection.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the hood on my LR3 after killing bambi. The letters were about $40 and they come as a template. The come off real easy but for that little money is not worth the headache of removing the old adhesive and then try to get the aligned straight.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer wanted $850 to put the clear bra on the front of my new LR4. I couldnt figure out why it was so much. Now I guess I know.

As for the headlights, yeah do it. That film will not cause any issues with the lights, but I can tell you that it is thicker than the rest of the bra material and should really help with rock protection. The lights clusters are expensive and the bra just helps keep them not only looking good, but an extra layer so they don't crack and break.

Rob

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the hood on my LR3 after killing bambi. The letters were about $40 and they come as a template. The come off real easy but for that little money is not worth the headache of removing the old adhesive and then try to get the aligned straight.

Where did you buy the letters from? The shop quoted me $115 for the letters... those crooks! :hmpf:

2011LR4LUX

Reaction score
Where did you buy the letters from? The shop quoted me $115 for the letters... those crooks! :hmpf:

Just got a quote from a local guy in NJ who has great reviews online. This is the reply I got back regarding the badges on the hood.

Forgot to ask what year? My friend who installs on them all the time typically debadges the hood, covers the paint and does not put the lettering back on. If you wanted to keep the badges I would cut a rectangular window in the film to expose the lettering. The front of the hood would not be fully protected.

If you go to www.xpel.com , choose paint protection and use the dropdowns you can see diagrams of each piece.

Prices are:
Hood, fenders, mirrors - $130
Bumper - $215
Installation - $200

Let me know,

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just called my dealer and they wanted $895 for just the front bumper and hood. He said that they sublet the job to a vendor. As for the "Land Rover" on the hood, the vendor has a machine that cuts out the letters from the 3M film.

Disco4Me

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The body shop that did the work bought them from our local LR dealer part dept.

What's the name of your local dealer? My dealer is charging me $85 for "Land" and another $86 for "Rover".

holygrail

Reaction score
YOU GUYS ARE ALL GETTING RIPPED OFF!

$850 - $895? I agree with Disco4Me regarding the letters being precision cut into the clear bra. I installed the Clear Bra in 2008 on my BMW 335i sedan. I had the job done at http://www.tintmax.com in Flushing, NY. I even had Steve (owner) do a custom 360 degree job. His laptop computer is connected to a Laser cutting machine. The vehicle make is preloaded into the machine and he feeds a huge sheet of laminant into the machine and precisely cuts out the different parts.

I've done the front upper and lower bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, all 4-doors, rear bumper, and 3M window tints for a total of $800. I've customed the hood and fenders. The hood was a standard 8 inches., but had him extend to 12 inches of protection, and the same goes with the fenders. I had my bimmer for over two years, and still not a single scratch working in Wash, D.C. Whenever I had a "white" scuf mark, I took it back and he took an heat gun and the white scuff mark would come right out, making it shiny again. Part of warranty. He custom installed a 12" strip across the doors by the impact areas...that's all you need, no need to laminate the whole door. He then laminated the rear bumper and the top part so you won't scratch paint when loading stuff in the trunk. He threw in a bonus and laminated a strip behind each wheel where the splash guards would be. I don't have splash guards. The Porsche 911s come with laminant protection behind the wheels. Again, all this for $800. Lastly, the price included tail light tinting. They have special tints made specifically for rear tail lights. Better than spraying clear tints.

Once I take delivery of my 2011 LR4 HSE, it's going straight to his shop for 3M window tinting and Clear Bra. Accept this time, it'll come out even cheaper because I won't need it for the doors and rear bumper. I added the side molding w/ chrome accents accessory on the LR4, elliminating the need to clear bra it. The rear of LR4 has that unpainted plastic which you probably won't have to laminate. Instead I ordered a black powder coated steal bar that attaches to the trailer hitch and goes across the bumper 12 inches to each side protecting the rear from impact. I will also install the rear tail light tints. This should look great on a black LR4. I should be able to negotiate a $400 price tag, including a hand car wash with waxing. If anyone of you live close to NY, it's worth the drive. Expect to be there for the day. Make an appointment and reserve the day.

Last recommendation. Most likely the machine will cut out spaces for the Land Rover lettering. I would also add the front OEM Land Rover hood wind/rock deflector. It has Land Rover written across it in White letters and is $100. I've seen it on a LR4 and looks great. It also causes the rocks to bounce over your windshield. If you install this part, you won't even see the Land Rover letters on the hood so it'll be irrelevent whether the letters are protected or not.

V/r,
Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM