Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's surprising, considering the KO2 are some of the best rated around. In fact, 35" KO2 come stock on the new 2017 and up Raptors!

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the pictures, it looks like the Duratracs come standard on the 2017 Power Wagon. Nothing drew the ladies in the 80's like a Simon and Simon Power Wagon ;) (well maybe a Magnum PI Ferrari)

They should make that "battering ram" on the front an accessory for the 2017 model!

download.php
13.jpg

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if using 265/65/18 or 285/60/18 tires and partially deflating the spare to make it fit underneath, is the spare at all driveable at the deflated psi rating needed to make it fit such that one could get to the nearest gas station to fill it up? Or is the needed psi drop so much that it would likely get damaged if you drove on it? Just thinking about what would happen if I got a flat on the road somewhere as I do not currently have any sort of portable inflator.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend you carry a small air pump, even a cheap emergency and compact one will do the job in a pinch. I deflated my spare (285/60R18) to about 10-15 PSI - basically just enough air so the rubber doesn't get deformed down there when I am winching it up or if I hit a rock or something. While that's probably enough pressure to get me limping to some coin-op air down the street, I wouldn't want to be stuck on a highway or in the boonies, miles away from a service station with a flat tire and a half-deflated spare, and no air. Besides, if you plan on off-roading with these tires, you will likely be airing down your running wheels more often than you think, whether it's beach driving or rock crawling. You can easily stash a decent, inexpensive small compressor under the folded 3rd row seats (if you are so equipped) and forget about it until you need it.

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Umberto! I was trying to think of where I could potentially stash a portable unit such that it is not in the way, especially if rarely used. I had not even thought about under the third row seats, I almost forget that I have them. I have a full cargo area cover and then the OEM rubber mat on top of that to keep cleaning up after the dogs a touch easier, so I have not even seen the carpeted floor space in a couple years!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, you don't even have to lift the rear cargo cover, just unlatch the 2nd row seat to roll forward. Voila! Access to under the 3rd row seats. I stash my ****** strap, foldable shovel, and jumper cables under there.

I have an ARB compressor I carry. Mostly because I air down to ~18psi in the dunes and its quicker using my own pump vs waiting in a massive queue of land cruisers at the nearest station outside the desert.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend you carry a small air pump, even a cheap emergency and compact one will do the job in a pinch. I deflated my spare (285/60R18) to about 10-15 PSI - basically just enough air so the rubber doesn't get deformed down there when I am winching it up or if I hit a rock or something. While that's probably enough pressure to get me limping to some coin-op air down the street, I wouldn't want to be stuck on a highway or in the boonies, miles away from a service station with a flat tire and a half-deflated spare, and no air. Besides, if you plan on off-roading with these tires, you will likely be airing down your running wheels more often than you think, whether it's beach driving or rock crawling. You can easily stash a decent, inexpensive small compressor under the folded 3rd row seats (if you are so equipped) and forget about it until you need it.

Did you remove the heat shield? I removed it for my 265/65R18 to make it fit better, but i like the look better with the shield. Im still debating on 265/65 or 265/60 for KO2's and im wondering if I should just deflate the spare a lot more and not worry about it. Keep the larger size. I keep a Viar 450p with me all the time anyway. I still have some time to decide but I continue to torture myself with the details.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I removed the heat shield. Don't much miss it, either (as far as looks, by the time you winch up that big donut you won't see much of the heat shield anymore from the back of the car, anyway.) I don't think I could have fit the spare with it in place honestly, no matter how much air I took out of it those silly brackets kept getting in the way. I just got my second set of LT285/60R18 Nitto Terra G2s last week... They are so much quieter than the first set I took off after about 60K miles (which were fairly worn and chewed up pretty good)! Like, day and night difference. I guess you develop an ear for increasing road noise after a while, and/or you just don't care anymore. I remember finding the Nittos quite a bit noisier than the Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 2 years ago when I switched over to them, but now they seem like the quietest tires ever. :)

Last edited:

wlvrn

Reaction score
Any opinion on 265/60R18 KO2s on a stock LR4 with Compomotive 18s? I'm about 80/20 on pavement and horrible gravel/rocky roads so I'm not doing hard-ass off-roading as much as I'm in variable situations that may not need that increase in sidewall that comes with 65s. My primary concerns are a) being able to fit the spare under the vehicle without removing the heat shield and b) avoiding any rubbing that might be an issue with the larger 65s. Does sticking at 60 check those boxes?

Stealther

Reaction score
I removed the heat shield to get my spare (265/65) to fit without overly deflating it (20ish PSI).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM