floorboards soaked, and I mean SOAKED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend my wife and I were driving to dinner, she asked me why the floorboards were so wet, and DAMM were they wet, , we had just had a pretty hard down pour, no windows open or sunroof.

A scary picture, I went by a few minutes ago to pick something up from the car and the ENTIRE thing was pulled apart, seats out front and rear, part of dash and console were out, all the carpet and padding out.

I sure hope they put this back together carefully…

Has anyone seen this happen before? What could have caused this; it is at the dealer as we speak.

2005 LR3 28,000 mi.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main issue that has been causing this has been clogged sunroof drain tubes. Many people have had this problem, and I don't remember if the fix involves simply blowing them out or cutting off part of the bottom of the tubes. It's not clear why everyone hasn't had an issue with this; my guess would be that it's due to:

1. Environmental factors; how often and how hard does it rain in your area.
2. Personal factors (where do you park, etc).
3. The vehicle itself; maybe there was a change in the build process.

I had a guy tell me once that his LR3's sunroof leaked, but only when parked at a particular angle...

racehorse

Reaction score
This weekend my wife and I were driving to dinner, she asked me why the floorboards were so wet, and DAMM were they wet, , we had just had a pretty hard down pour, no windows open or sunroof.

A scary picture, I went by a few minutes ago to pick something up from the car and the ENTIRE thing was pulled apart, seats out front and rear, part of dash and console were out, all the carpet and padding out.

I sure hope they put this back together carefully…

Has anyone seen this happen before? What could have caused this; it is at the dealer as we speak.

2005 LR3 28,000 mi.
Not sure if it's related, but I've had drainage problems on my 06 lr3 that were attributed to the channels in the pillars. Dealer made some cuts at corner to free them up and seems to have done the job.

rootykazotty

Reaction score
You have a leaky sunroof. The drains are clogged. Had this problem with my '05 and it destroyed my aftermarket Alpine hub, IPod box, and Siris box. Make sure that you check all your electronics.

allodial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a good sign that they took everything out... that means they're going to dry everything and hopefully spray an anti bacterial solution so you dont end up with mold growth under the carpets...

this would be reason number 2 why i hate sunroofs and am glad i didnt buy them.

txAlfa

Reaction score
thats a good sign that they took everything out... that means they're going to dry everything and hopefully spray an anti bacterial solution so you dont end up with mold growth under the carpets...

+1...a friend of mine had the same issue, blocked sunroof drains, and the dealership tried to use a wet vac and spray something (we're thinking deodorizer and not anti-bacterial). It seemed fine when he picked it up, but the next time it rained his interior reeked of mildew.

Shark_LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
vac it, then hit it with a mild bleach/soap solution, vac it again, put a couple of heaters in the interior to follow-up and dry it.

bleach kills any live stuff.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a leaky sunroof, just blocked sunroof drain tubes. Some folks call it the waterfall feature. It's prevalent in 2005/2006 models. There is a TSB for it, and the fix is easy. However, they won't proactively do the fix until after you've "experienced the need" for it.

BldrRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After purchasing my 2006 LR3 and reading all the message board issues, I mentioned this potential problem to my service manager at the dealership. He agreed that this was a common issue and was happy to fix it even though I hadn't had an issue yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72