floorboards soaked, and I mean SOAKED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrahamWelland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had no rain problems parked in the garage :tongue:

But seriously, I generally park on the drive (maybe 5 degree tilt) since like many I've filled my perfectly servicable double car garage with other 'stuff' and got fed up with lowering the suspension to creep under the door frame. (Expedition rack). I'm in the Portland/Vancouver metro area and we get steady rain vs Seattle drizzle or other state's torrential down pours.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other PNW dude I was referring to lives in Vancouver.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...so I pulled off the vent cover and the rubber piece behind it and pulled the foam back from the vertical wall too...and I saw no rubber drain. What am I missing here?

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you will see where the sun roof drains are located, tear off the part of the rubber that covers the drain, and put it back.

Auburrn...are the "sun roof drains" an actual piece of tubing that you can touch or is it just a channel from the A-pillar to the ground? ...and when you say "the part of the rubber" are you refering to the big rubber thing that sits right behind the vent cover and in the vent? If so, wouldn't tearing off part of that rubber allow water to get inside the air intake?

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, the only way to properly access the sunroof drains is to drop the headliner. The job is easy to do by yourself and allows for easy access to both front and rear drains.

Yes, I think he is referring to that rubber piece in the vent. You can take the rubber piece out and then you'll see the drain. You can take a pair or snipes and clip the end off, which is what the dealer does when someone comes in complaining of water intrusion.

Anyway, I just went through and entire ordeal with water getting in my cabin via the sunroof. My rear drains were completely obstructed (from the factory).

Good luck, be sure to dry the underside of your carpet out really well!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...but I just don't see an "end" to clip off. Is it being clipped off of the rather large rubber thing that goes in the vent or something else? Can you see the drain in the pic?

...maybe someone who has done this can also take a photo and post it. Is there a rubber tube that is the drain? Or is it more of a "mechanical drain" consisting of channels in the vehicle's construciton where the water flows? I can see where the water comes out (I used the hose) and I also see where the water would channel around the rubber piece that goes in the vent. There is only ONE thing that I could envision clipping and it's a V-shaped notch on one side of the channel in the rubber piece. I did this; but I can't see how it would block all that much water.

Last edited:

USAFbuckeye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry Houm, no time for pictures, but if you saw where the water is coming from then you found the drain. If you clipped it, good. There is another one on the opposite side of the truck and you can get to it by dropping the black plastic trim that hides the wiring under the driver's side dash, it's like 2 screws I think. You may also have to remove the kick panel as well, but's real easy. Once you do that shine a falshlight up and to the left and you'll see it.

As I said though, my problems were not the front drains but the rears. My rear drains were not pushed all the way in so the drains were pinched off allowing water to back up in to the sunroof channel and spill out on to the headliner and run down the inside of the b-pillar.

You're never going to see the water run unless you overwhem the drains with a hose or drop the headliner and follow the rear drains to see that they function properly. I had to reseat the drains and clipped the end for good measure. The reason I couldn't find the leak initially was because it was leaking behind the b-pillar and wasn't enough to soak through the headliner shell, but when I dropped the headliner the traces of water were still there and some was still trapped in some of the plastics. It's a very bad design! They typically will not back up under a light steady rain, but under a heavy down pour.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing to clip....or I'm not seeing it. Maybe I never saw the drain because I didn't "overwhelm" the roof; I just hosed it and let a normal runoff occur. The only thing to clip was not part of the drain-channel but maybe part of the big ol' rubber thing that fits in the vent but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Sorry for not being able to follow along with your description, but I can only describe what I can/can't see. Does your "drain" include a rubber tube or not?

Trynian

Reaction score
There's nothing to clip....or I'm not seeing it. Maybe I never saw the drain because I didn't "overwhelm" the roof; I just hosed it and let a normal runoff occur. The only thing to clip was not part of the drain-channel but maybe part of the big ol' rubber thing that fits in the vent but I'm not sure that's a good idea.

Sorry for not being able to follow along with your description, but I can only describe what I can/can't see. Does your "drain" include a rubber tube or not?

Pull out that piece of foam rubber to the left in your photo.
It is behind that. In the upper left corner. You will see a portion of the foam cut out on its back side, that is where the drain comes out. If it is already clipped it will just look like a ruber grommet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635