floorboards soaked, and I mean SOAKED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rootykazotty

Reaction score
Leaky sun roof, leaky windshield, leaky LR3

I have 97,000 miles on my '05 now & it's out of warrenty now, but you know, I've had a leak problems every year since I purchased my Rover. It's not just the sun roof. Windshield has leaked Check and see if the plastic "seal" over the bottom of the shield is buckled in any way. If it is there is a good chance it leaking, or will leak. There's talk about a firewall leak too. My Land Rover dealer had the Alpine module system installed by a local audio shop and they mounted the componants ander the front floorboard and they have been trashed. My entire audio system is trashed now. Yes, everything, to include the radoi/nav system. It goes in the shop tomorrow for an evaluation and repair. All at my expense. Yuck! man, I love this vehicle as far as it's performance, but the worst veh. I have ever owned as far as maint. and other problems. Let's see, a new Transfer Case, new front suspension, 3 brake jobs w/rotors included. Tranny leak ($800), etc; etc; etc!

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not just the sun roof. Windshield has leaked Check and see if the plastic "seal" over the bottom of the shield is buckled in any way. If it is there is a good chance it leaking, or will leak.

Rootykazotty is correct!!! Check the windscreen cowl and see if the plastic "seal" over the bottom of the shield is buckled in any way. I have also had the leak issue in my 2007 CPO'd LR3. Here is what I had fixed to make mine watertight!

1. Had Dealer check both sunroof drains (the ones that go down the A-Pillar) . Dealer replaced both drains since they were both pinched. FIXED !!!
2. Had dealer check sunroof pan for cracks and leaves,dirt. Dealer replaced sunroof pan. Item FIXED!
3. Noticed my windscreen cowl (Plastic piece under the wipers) was severely buckled! Water would run right into the AC/Heater blower and dumped right onto the passenger side floor. Dealer replaced the cowl AND sealed the cowl to the windscreen with Permatex! . Item FIXED
4. My windshield was leaking water above the rear view mirror. Dealer replaced entire windscreen ! The previous owner had the windscreen replaced and they did a horrible job! Issue fixed!

Hope this helps!!!

dcampbell81

Reaction score
Water Leakage

Purchased an 06 LR3 in May 2010. Just recently, I had a ton of water pooling under the front and rear passenger door sills and under the front passenger floor mat after heavy rain storms.

The first trip to the dealer, the drain tubes were unclogged and I was charged $280. Problem not fixed and the next rain storm gave me the same water leak problem.

The second trip to the dealer I told them that the lower windscreen cowl was cupped. Another $275 and I have a new lower windscreen cowl sealed with Permatex. They found that water was getting behind the lower cowl, going down the firewall, getting in the air pollen box, and ending up on the floor.

Rain is forecasted for later today, so keeping my fingers crossed!!!

BlackRover

Reaction score
Ok, I know just about everything there is to know about these leak issues now. lol I've reshaped the cowl piece to the windshield with a heat gun and added some weather stripping for good measure. I've tackled the cabin air filter housing leak from the cowl, added a nice sheet of aluminum with duct tape. I know one of my roof drains is backed up, passenger side...couple questions.

1. How the hell do I remove the side intake vent? Pulling is giving a ton of resistance and I would not like to snap anything off. I can't seem to locate any screws holding it into place.

2. I know my passenger side drain is plugged because nothing drains from that side...but, I can fit a hose (3 feet) down into the drain before stopping at the elbow. My problem is, If I can run a hose that far down the drain, why wouldn't pouring a tiny bit of water in the drain cause the water to run at least partly through the drain? It just sits in the sunroof housing above the submerged drain hole? You would think the water would move partly down the tube?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the motion to remove the vent is out and up at the same time...

tdawg

Reaction score
confused

i see where everybody post there problem with the water leaks but where do i find the answers. and does anybody have pictures that show how they fixed there problem

rootykazotty

Reaction score
ignition/electronic/navigation problem

First of all, I must say that I have had a sunroof leak or air inlet leak for 3 years. Yes, every year, since purchased, I have had a leak problem. Ruined my Alpine system along with other componants. This past May the sunroof shattered just sitting in my driveway. It "exploded" outwards. Now about that same time my radio and Alpine hub went off line The vehicle would not always start the first time, sometimes only after several attempts, and then the navigation system went off line. Now this is intermittent. I notice that at times when it will not start I hear a clicking noise, kind of like a relay clicking. It always starts eventually. I have never thought of the seal around the bottom of the windshield leaking. I understand there is a drain on it, but have no idea how to access it. Some how I think this is all related. Has anyone had similar issues with their ignition, or electronics, and if so, has the problem been resolved? Man I love this truck. The ride, the feel is so fine. Any help will be well appreciated.

rootykazotty

Reaction score
So these tubes are made of flexable plastic or rubber valves? And taking the headliner out is easy, and will allow me to inspect the tubes for pinching or cavitating? What does clipping the tubes accomplish? Now I understand that there are "one way" check valves in these drain tubes, does clipping these tubes remove the check valves? What a major problem this is, you would think that Land Rover would have this problem under control and repair this issue with a recall. Word comes to mind: Crooks.

rootykazotty

Reaction score
So these tubes are made of flexable plastic or rubber material? And taking the headliner out is easy, and will allow me to inspect the tubes for pinching or cavitating? What does clipping the tubes accomplish? Now I understand that there are "one way" check valves in these drain tubes, does clipping these tubes remove the check valves? What a major problem this is, you would think that Land Rover would have this problem under control and repair this issue with a recall. Word comes to mind: Crooks.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Air Conditioner Water maybe?

I presume that your carpets are wet after it rains? If not, then the water can be coming from the air conditioner drains that have disconnected themselves.

I had really wet carpet near my gas pedal, but dry near the door etc. It turn out that the condensed water from the air conditioner drains out of the heater box on both the left and right side of the transmission ****.

There are two rectangular hoses, one on each side of the transmission **** that connect to drains on the bottom of the front heater box and then pass down thru the metal floor. Rarely do you see water drips under your 3 as the water flows onto one of the skid pans below and evaporates there. If you have the rear AC/heater, the water drips onto a heat shield above the rear left side muffler and evaporates - hence you rarely see AC water dripping from your 3.

Re the front heater, the rectangular rubber hose just slide down and off the heater box drains. All one has to do is access them and slide them back up. The jpg shows where to unclip the piece of vertical carpet that is just to the left and right of the radio stack..

The links below show a picture of one of the hoses and also a Land Rover drawing.

LR3%20Air%20Conditioner%20drain%20tubes.jpg

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3801&pos=8

Air%20Conditioning%20DrainIMGP0698.jpg

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3801&pos=9

This link is to a number of subject areas that can cause difficulty.

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/index.php?cat=15405

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72