Front Wiper arms: Stronger Spring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the weather here in Toronto has been poor, I have noticed that the wiper arms have a weak spring. It seems the blade is not getting enough pressure onto the windshield to clean properly. This was also confirmed by the dealer ... stated that that is stock.

Is there another source where I can get a stronger spring/wiper arm out there?

Jaak Lepson

D

disco1

Never had any cause to look at the spring on the wiper arm and I'm not sure up can upgrade it with a factory part. Athough, as virtually nothing is impossible, you could take the wiper arm off, out the spring, and see if you can get a stronger one from somewhere. I'm not sure that this would solve your problem though, as you could end up with your wiper rubbers twisting due to the extra pressure, and, end up with the metallic parts rubbing on the glass.
As a suggestion, wipe your windscreen with "RAINX") or simular product. This is supposed to fill the micro pores in the glass with a silicon type film which makes rain water sheet off easily, and will/should solve your wiper problem.

markthecat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adjust your wiper arm. I had the same prob. The angle of the arm was to high on the windscreen causing the wiper to pop off the screen. Loosen the bolt lower the angle. If that doesn't work, you probable need a new wiper arm. Unless you can find just the spring somewhere.

D

discomike

Consider cleaning your windshield was some liquid dish soap to help clean of a build up on the windshield, although invisable, it will cause the wipers to skip no mater how strong the springs are. Also consider going to a more heavy duty wiper blade if need be.
Mike J.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Folks ... thanks for the info. I did talk to the dealer and they did state that the wiper arms are weak. I noticed that when the arm is raised a few inches and then released the force is not too great. It is better on my Porsche, and I have tested this on other cars and trucks as well. LR is noticably weaker ... the new LR3 has stronger springs and does clean better ... even in -26 degree C weather when I was at the dealer. I have tried to tighten down the 13 mm nut and it helped a slight bit. The dealer did lub the arm which helped a slight bit, but still not enough. Guess I will have to search for a stronger spring.

K

kasperking

Wiper arm

Jaak,

Have you tryed an arofoil on the wipper blade? I have no idea if you have them in Canader, but all they are is a piece of metal or plastic that attatches on to the wiper arm and the air pressure pressing against it helps keep the blade tight to the screen.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kasperking said:
Jaak,

Have you tryed an arofoil on the wipper blade? I have no idea if you have them in Canader, but all they are is a piece of metal or plastic that attatches on to the wiper arm and the air pressure pressing against it helps keep the blade tight to the screen.

Factory installed for canader, eh! It was noted by the dealer that the arm design is weak.... LR3 has addressed the issue!

D

disco1

In poor weather, such as Jaak is complaining about, the airfoil would not be very efficient, as they are designed to keep pressure on the wiper arm when under speed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM