General thoughts on buying a 2011 LR4 with 100k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't add anything about the price, but I would suggest staying away from 19" tires. I have them on my 2010 LR2, and there are no good off-road tires that dealers say will work. I know I can use Zeons or Continental TerrainContact A/T, but no tire dealer agrees with much enthusiasm.

What's the objection on the Terrain Contacts? Are they no good or just no good for serious offloading? I am buying an LR4 this week and I was planning on getting those eventually. I do 90% highway driving, most of my "offroad" is getting through muddy parking areas for mountain bike races or driving up logging roads to ride bikes. I also drive up the the ski hill every weekend. The Continental's seemed perfect for that kind of use.

Crosboro

Reaction score
What's the objection on the Terrain Contacts? Are they no good or just no good for serious offloading? I am buying an LR4 this week and I was planning on getting those eventually. I do 90% highway driving, most of my "offroad" is getting through muddy parking areas for mountain bike races or driving up logging roads to ride bikes. I also drive up the the ski hill every weekend. The Continental's seemed perfect for that kind of use.
I agree about the Terrain Contacts, and will likely go with them. My local dealer says they are “too much” for the vehicle, which makes no sense at all. I suspect it’s because they are 1” taller and will throw the speedometer off a bit. I asked TireRack, but they were non-committal.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the Terrain Contacts, and will likely go with them. My local dealer says they are “too much” for the vehicle, which makes no sense at all. I suspect it’s because they are 1” taller and will throw the speedometer off a bit. I asked TireRack, but they were non-committal.

They are not 1" taller; they are the exact same size as stock. I would treat whatever your dealer is telling you as something that can be thrown out with the rest of the refuse.

Ric in Richmond

Reaction score
If by "dealer" you mean LR dealer, then they can give you records of at least all service done at a LR dealership.

With those options, $23k seems pretty fair. A base model might go for $19..$20K but for a Lux in good shape, this seems fair.

You definitely need to have a sense of humor for occasional glitches (usually solved by disconnecting the battery for 10 sec), and high maintenance costs ($250 oil change, for example), but these pains are offset by driving such a capable and overall fun-to-drive rig.

Can anyone confirm or deny that LR has no network between dealers so you cannot pull a service history from another dealer? Or is my dealer full of it?

My 110,000 11 LR4 HSE Lux + with NO records but a clean PPI (it did need a coolant crossover pipe and door actuators) was mid teens. In very nice condition.

I have already run across the wacky. Carry a 10 mm wrench next to the battery. Car won't recognize the key? Disconnect the battery! Vroom!

I'd disagree with oil changes. LR has made using an oil extractor pump so unbelievably easy there is no excuse for not doing it yourself. Buy the best oil you can and splurge on an OEM filter and change early and often. It is a 20 minute job max and you never get near the bottom of the truck.

Love this thing. Now if I could only get my family to let me drive it more often.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm or deny that LR has no network between dealers so you cannot pull a service history from another dealer? Or is my dealer full of it?

Anecdotal, but there may be some truth to that. I have a good relationship with one of my local dealers (we have at least 6 JLR dealers between DC and Baltimore). When I got my current (preowned) LR4 I had it in for some warranty work and they were able to tell where it had received its last dealer service but they weren't able to pull up details. They suggested I simply call that dealer and ask for the records. They made it sound like they would have no problem sharing that info if someone called them.

It is still mindboggling to me that a dealer/service network wouldn't be able to track a VIN throughout its entire system for basic information like this. After all, they document the VIN every time service is provided, and you can take a vehicle to any dealer for recall service tied to your VIN, etc.

Speaking of oil changes, I just bought some Castrol from one of my dealers who sells it direct. $104.46 out the door for 9 qts ($10.95/qt + 6% tax). Who was getting it from their dealer for around $7/qt? I would like to see if they ship.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can find it slightly cheaper than that on eBay, but probably not cheaper enough to be worth it.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you can find it slightly cheaper than that on eBay, but probably not cheaper enough to be worth it.

Right, with shipping it was almost exactly the same. Buying it local gets me out of the house and I get to chat with the folks at this dealer. Some of them are actually knowledgeable and even passionate about J/LR, which is cool. They said that they had seen a good bump in traffic this past week as the DC Car Show has been going on for several days. LR had a big bump course set up inside the Convention Center and was giving test rides.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, with shipping it was almost exactly the same. Buying it local gets me out of the house and I get to chat with the folks at this dealer. Some of them are actually knowledgeable and even passionate about J/LR, which is cool. They said that they had seen a good bump in traffic this past week as the DC Car Show has been going on for several days. LR had a big bump course set up inside the Convention Center and was giving test rides.

Feel the same way about my dealer. That said, the parts guy there recommended that I just use any 'ol regular "name brand" synthetic motor oil.

vulf

Reaction score
Can't add anything about the price, but I would suggest staying away from 19" tires. I have them on my 2010 LR2, and there are no good off-road tires that dealers say will work. I know I can use Zeons or Continental TerrainContact A/T, but no tire dealer agrees with much enthusiasm.
Do you recommend the 20" wheels then? Didn't the LR4 only come with 19 or 20 as an option? I was hoping to avoid the 20 due to having to run lower profile tires.

I pretty much only buy Nokian tires anyway and they have the tires I would be interested in in the stock 19" size.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dwizum

Reaction score
It appears that the original statement above against the 19's was because of a dealer's (totally bogus) comment that the Conti tires were "too much." There's nothing wrong with the 19" wheels, there are plenty of good tires available for highway, snow, and light duty offroading.

I like Nokian tires too, I would have them on the truck right now if I hadn't gotten a great clearance deal on the set of Michelin x-ice tires I just put on. Nokian makes lots of tires in the 19" size.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72