Got wheels! Need tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what am I giving up with a "P" vs an "LT"? Sidewall durability? Overall durability?

I saw that Scott has 33's but I think he began with 19" wheels, right?

No, Scott originally took the stock 19's off and ran oversized Micky Thompsons on 20's until they figured out how to get the 18's to fit.

LT typically has stronger sidewalls and more "ply's" than non LT tires but the ply's thing is something I am still trying to understand as some manufacturers sheets state things differently than what makes sense to me.

But in theory the LT tires are stronger because they can support higher weights than the P spec tires. P spec tires will be softer and ride better because of softer sidewalls.

This added strength and weight handling ability comes with a weight penalty. With the Toyo AT2's I know that from a P spec to LT tire there is about 12-14 lbs difference at each tire. This will decrease your mileage along with the larger size of the tire from stock causing more resistance. I would be prepared to lose at least 2 mpg going from stock to the 265/65.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a neophyte at this I don't understand what you mean by "running pretty small". Does this mean they have less tread so the exterior measurements are smaller? The interior measurements (2x5/x5 Rxx) should be consistent, right?

All manufacturers state the same measurements but that doesn't always mean the tires when mounted on the vehicle will measure out to the stated size. Best example I have is the 37x12.5x17 BFG AT's are a 37" tire but typically will measure out to 35-35.5" when mounted on a Jeep. But if you get the same size in the Nitto Trail Grappler it will measure closer to 37" which is why most people will tell you BFG's run small. Some manufacturers just come closer to stated size than others. Nitto and Toyo typically do better than BFG and Goodyear (other than the MT/R's).

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old school = LT supposed to be more durable and solid, truck tires
New school = P technically passenger vehicle tires (LR4???)

My opinion is that it doesn't matter as much as we want it to on this forum, the LR4 already performs fantastic with the stock tires and we each believe we have it right with our LT, P or European measurement of a tires strength. Tires are a very subjective thing and two sets of the same tires are not going to necessarily perform equally on two different vehicles (even if these two vehicles are the same brand, model and year).

Pick the ones you want, tires are a wearable item that you will replace for a reason or another (puncture, tread depth, looks, season of the year...).

Some say size doesn't matter... ;)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old school = LT supposed to be more durable and solid, truck tires
New school = P technically passenger vehicle tires (LR4???)

My opinion is that it doesn't matter as much as we want it to on this forum, the LR4 already performs fantastic with the stock tires and we each believe we have it right with our LT, P or European measurement of a tires strength. Tires are a very subjective thing and two sets of the same tires are not going to necessarily perform equally on two different vehicles (even if these two vehicles are the same brand, model and year).

Pick the ones you want, tires are a wearable item that you will replace for a reason or another (puncture, tread depth, looks, season of the year...).

Some say size doesn't matter... ;)
Very well said! :)

I agree completely. I think most of the options you describe will work awesome and will perform great on and off the road.

I chose the BFGs because I wanted an LT tire (with high load index) and did not want to have to run lifted or trim anything at this point. It's the closest to a 32" I can get right now and they run great on the road and any terrain I need to tackle.

But, as Axel said, it is a matter of preference, etc.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will chime in for the Goodyears again. Silent Armors or the new adventures (Same thing more or less). They fit great. Almost no rubbing unless you articulate a little and go backwards.

Very quite on the road, wear like iron. Very happy with them.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided to go with the Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10s. I think they'll do the trick for me even if not truly LT tires and they will fit without lifts or mods. The reviews are good enough. Still trying to decide between 2 sizes. Checking with my dealer to see what they have to say. Here are the specs on the two sizes:

Size 265/60 265/65
Load Index 109 112
Speed Rating T T
Max PSI 44 44
Section Width 10.3 10.7
Overall Diameter 30.5 31.5

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are a great choice. I love mine.
I have the 265/65 and they do not require any lift. I do use a slight lift for looks though.
In my case, I get a "little" rubbing against the frame horns which prevent me to get to full lock.
You will love their handling on road and off road as well as the fact that they come close to the OEM tire weight.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dan I would suggest going with the 265/65 on load rating alone.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely agree - go with 265/65; you won't need to do any modifications and should have the higher load rating.

I think you will be happy with those tires, should take you anywhere you need to go.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Good suggestion about load rating. So I called Discount Tire. Ends up that Hankook discontinued the 109 rated 265/60s. The current ones are load rated at 114. Good enough for me. And I feel better about the size not pushing the limit. And I like the shape/features of the Hankooks. Not as aggressive tread as some. But, again, good enough for me as they will likely be my full time summer tire. So I ordered up 5 and hope to have them installed on the Compos before the weekend.

BTW, my Discount Tire dealer also said he just put a set of Wranglers on an LR4 using a new 18" wheel that fit the LR4 with no spacers. New wheel that he said became available in the past month or so. I'm glad I went with the Compos. But thought I'd let the rest of you know.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72