Got wheels! Need tires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
josephp_lr you should have them just mount the wheel on your vehicle real quick to make sure they will clear the caliper on the front before mounting tires and everything on there.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just off Broadway and will be on the lookout - so if you see a black LR4 wave at you - it's me!

I'll have to get on that Land Rover mailing list - I actually dropped mine in for a service today and was speaking to Tyler (from LR Service) and he mentioned the Sunday run which I would have arranged around if I'd known.

We're in The Hearth (SE Highlands Ranch). I, too, got the call. They are putting the tires on the wheels now so I'll run it by after my last conference call. I like the look of your wheels! A "strong" look.

By the way, Tyler (the service guy at Land Rover Denver) is very good. He helped me out a lot when I was considering and almost backing out of an LR4. I asked him a ton of questions. Very knowledgeable and experienced. I always work with him. I told him that I was putting the Hankooks on this week and he said he runs them on his Disco II and is very pleased with them.

As for getting on the customer list see Stephen Jenkins. He is the Director of Guest Relations.

josephp_lr

Reaction score
Will do ...

I'm generally risk averse. So not really comfortable as the guinea pig!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All set. See this post.
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25864

@josephp_lr - I don't know how the LR3 works by with the LR4 we have different tire pressures in the rear tires than the front. Because Discount Tire set up my tires/wheels ahead of my being there they had them all the same. Fortunately I had a TPMS fault (not necessarily due to that as the system needs to reset) so I took it back. Then they realized what they had done and corrected the tire pressures. You may want to make sure they get it right.

BTW, your wheels look good.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Joseph

How are those wheels working for you?
I was just at a off-road shop a few minutes ago and was looking at rims from the same brand that should fit the LR4.
What's the size and offset?

Thank you

Axel

josephp_lr

Reaction score
Hey guys ... just came back from discount tire and wanted to close the loop on the ATX or rather the AX194 aspect of this thread.

In short - the AX194 wheel from American Racing didn't fit. The front calipers rub - ever so slightly - in fact you can actually turn the wheel by hand with mild force. But bottom line - it rubs against the calipers.

In another day and age, I'd have driven off and let the caliper and wheel sort themselves out with a few good miles together!

So - Tyler the DT representative rang American Racing and they reckon the AX181 Artillery wheel will work. I saw on some other threads that someone's tried this - so I'll be researching this tonight.

FWIW (and probably off-topic) I'm contemplating my options at the moment:

1. Go a 19" OEM replica and put on the Goodyear Duratrac 255/55/19 which has the extra sidewall protection and a higher load rating.

2. Research the 18" AX181 OR go the Compomotive 18".

3. Maintain the 20" OEM and go the Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/50/20.

4. Grind the calipers - probably not a real option in my mind.

Dan - it's great that you're sorted. Hopefully I'm not far behind.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang. I had hoped this was going to work for you and others would have a new and less costly option. Good luck working it out. Hard to believe there's not at least one other option out there.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys ... just came back from discount tire and wanted to close the loop on the ATX or rather the AX194 aspect of this thread.

In short - the AX194 wheel from American Racing didn't fit. The front calipers rub - ever so slightly - in fact you can actually turn the wheel by hand with mild force. But bottom line - it rubs against the calipers.

In another day and age, I'd have driven off and let the caliper and wheel sort themselves out with a few good miles together!

So - Tyler the DT representative rang American Racing and they reckon the AX181 Artillery wheel will work. I saw on some other threads that someone's tried this - so I'll be researching this tonight.

FWIW (and probably off-topic) I'm contemplating my options at the moment:

1. Go a 19" OEM replica and put on the Goodyear Duratrac 255/55/19 which has the extra sidewall protection and a higher load rating.

2. Research the 18" AX181 OR go the Compomotive 18".

3. Maintain the 20" OEM and go the Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/50/20.

4. Grind the calipers - probably not a real option in my mind.

Dan - it's great that you're sorted. Hopefully I'm not far behind.

Joseph, not sure what you have decided but since these forums are here for peoples opinions I will throw out a couple thoughts:

1) I don't think the 19" Duratrac's are available in the US. Maybe things have changed but last I looked I couldn't find anything. But having these tires on one of my previous Jeeps they are a pretty good tire.

2) Have you looked at any of the other ATX models? I know there is one wheel that looks more like it would design wise fit the LR4 nicely but it has to be custom drilled for our bolt pattern.

3) If you have access to cheap Compo's then that is a good deal. I would go that route. I see you are in Colorado, I really wouldn't want to wheel with the 20" wheels out there. Only good thing is 20" tires are getting cheaper and OEM wheels are cheap to find on eBay.

4) If you go over to expedition portal and look up their LR4 build you will see that they had no issues by lightly grinding down the front calipers of the LR4. I think if you like the wheels you just tried to fit you could easily grind a small amount off the caliper and be just fine.

I think the best thing to do is to find an 18" wheel and put a meaty tire on it. Plus if you like the ATX wheel, how far did it stick out? Could you fit a spacer?

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joseph, not sure what you have decided but since these forums are here for peoples opinions I will throw out a couple thoughts:

1) I don't think the 19" Duratrac's are available in the US. Maybe things have changed but last I looked I couldn't find anything. But having these tires on one of my previous Jeeps they are a pretty good tire.

2) Have you looked at any of the other ATX models? I know there is one wheel that looks more like it would design wise fit the LR4 nicely but it has to be custom drilled for our bolt pattern.

3) If you have access to cheap Compo's then that is a good deal. I would go that route. I see you are in Colorado, I really wouldn't want to wheel with the 20" wheels out there. Only good thing is 20" tires are getting cheaper and OEM wheels are cheap to find on eBay.

4) If you go over to expedition portal and look up their LR4 build you will see that they had no issues by lightly grinding down the front calipers of the LR4. I think if you like the wheels you just tried to fit you could easily grind a small amount off the caliper and be just fine.

I think the best thing to do is to find an 18" wheel and put a meaty tire on it. Plus if you like the ATX wheel, how far did it stick out? Could you fit a spacer?

Epiclr4,

1- DuraTrac is available on treaddepot and others (as well as local retailer), in 254/55R19 it runs for 244 with free shipping on TD

2- ATX AX181 (artillery) might be the way to go. I'm going to try the KMC XD778 (monster) as it's wider.

3- cheap Compos are on eBay. 4 for $1,000 plus $450 shipping. Barry from Compomotive UK isn't sure they'll fit (according to him they might be early specs).

4- I had to grind my front calipers quite a bit when I had my LR3 18s with spacers. No problem and the brake dust quickly hides it even from a trained eye.

5- ATX or KMC or others with spacers will work.

I'm personally trying to not use spacers. The offset on those rims is about 35 so the wheels will stick out by about 18mm more than stock. Doesn't leave much room to stay within the fender extension...

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Epiclr4,

1- DuraTrac is available on treaddepot and others (as well as local retailer), in 254/55R19 it runs for 244 with free shipping on TD

2- ATX AX181 (artillery) might be the way to go. I'm going to try the KMC XD778 (monster) as it's wider.

3- cheap Compos are on eBay. 4 for $1,000 plus $450 shipping. Barry from Compomotive UK isn't sure they'll fit (according to him they might be early specs).

4- I had to grind my front calipers quite a bit when I had my LR3 18s with spacers. No problem and the brake dust quickly hides it even from a trained eye.

5- ATX or KMC or others with spacers will work.

I'm personally trying to not use spacers. The offset on those rims is about 35 so the wheels will stick out by about 18mm more than stock. Doesn't leave much room to stay within the fender extension...

Everyone keeps saying the DuraTracs are back in the US in the 19s but when looking at discount tire or tire rack they show nothing for that size the last time I looked. Plus I really just struggle with a 19" wheel. No one anywhere will have a tire that will work for you if you **** one remotely and need to replace it to have another spare. Plus at that price it starts to get boarder line on expensive per tire vs an 18" tire at $180 or less.

I have seen those cheap Compos on eBay and while it is seemingly cheaper I struggle at the fact of what if I tear one up on a rock and have to replace it? I'm buying another $400-500 wheel when I can go to LKQ and pick up an LR3 wheel for $100-125. Might not be as fancy but it gets the job done and doesn't **** the budget.

I did understand that the offset of the ATX or Monster wheels are quite a bit smaller and that's why I wouldn't think spacers would work but threw it out there.

Really just frustrated that I have researched and researched and the amount of options for these vehicles is extremely limited. One of the reasons I will probably not be returning to the brand in the near future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72