Hey LR are you listening?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

damthrill

I'm glad you spoke about your vehicle problems.

You should be mad. I have owned a rover for about 6 yrs now, and bought a LR3 fully loaded HSE. I figured I'd get everything and not deal with repairs other than normal wear and tear for a while. Oh did I just tell u I bought another land rover vehicle. Well Thats right. I was sick of paying for many things on the rover. The LR3 is new so i expect new model issues of any manufacturer in the world, even if they are making stealth fighters or EKV's, nothing ever works right in the beginning.

But, what I expect is LR to show good faith. You have a serious situation and u need to resolve it. Most importantly u are in love with Land Rovers. What u can't tolerate is their poor service. I personally believe that land rover doesn't make good efforts on training service personal. So u either deal with poor work or get to a LR mechanic that is the cream of the crop and only let him touch your vehicle and talk to him every time and try to make him your friend(this will pay off like u cant believe), then only one person can be liable for ****** work. You should also figue out how to get along with service guy that doesnt know **** but will write up your reports. Realize that every shop has ****** mechanics. And lastly try to work it out with LRNA, I am sure that they would rather work with u than buy their vehicles back.

I am just as frustrated as u are, but what else are u gonna drive?

and don't give the nav such a hard time, I have almost died while looking at girls and driving, let alone looking down at a nav and typing away. It sucks that u have to pull over, but if u killed someone u knew cuz u ran em over cuz you were typing, well it does really happen like that. The mp3 yea, thats stuff they should fix, and serius sat, that probably hurts me more than it hurts you, but I also hate the no blutooth issue as well. They made me pay for a new windshield wiper and truck is only 6 months and 6000 miles, so when i got questionaire from jd powers, i let them have it. 3 weeks later service manager is calling me and offering to pay for 1 wiper, but i'd rather it be water under the bridge. I figure its so fun to drive that I can live with these issues.

As for gas, most cars do under whats written on the window at purchase time. I just wish they had a bigger tank. Get used to the fact that it uses alot of gas or get rid of it, most suvs do use alot of gas. Sports and utility vehicles arent really known for being conservative on gas.

Also it is supposed to be pretty safe vehicle and i got plowed in my land rover at a stop sign by a car that was going 25 plus and pushed into the car in front of me. I drove my rover home and yea i drove it around for a week looking like crap(and my back and knee were screwed for a year), then it took 3 months for body shop to fix, but if I was in my BMW I'd probably be dead.

I am trying to help but thats my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dronedog

Scott,
first off with my simple mind i can only contribute about 1 cent worth.

please do not stop letting us know about your problems. i have been down this road with another manufacturer and i know how frustrated one can get. we all need to hear it and maybe somewhere someone that matters will hear it also. if they don't then they have a bigger problem. because there are people who will read about these things and stop before they make a purchase.
having said that, i would also say to attack the company for design issues in the same way as you may attack them for your problems is probably not the best route. (which i am sure is why you started a new thread) again, please send out your ideas and suggestions. but if i were someone from LR reading your suggestions i would think you were a little, well say askewed. your suggestions are right and i don't think most would argue that. but i would hate to see someone that might read this turn you off before you get the points out. afterall most of the things i read could be seen or figured out before the purchase. and i am sure they are thinking you did not have to purchase. what you are saying is correct just don't let your frustration get the better of your points. either way, though, if this is the only way you feel you can make your ideas known, do not stop. i would rather hear them than not. if i don't like the rhetoric i can tune that out.
also in defense of those that do not like your commentary i would say this; we all love this country. we all also know that it has problems. we hear and read about them everyday. but every once in a while we hear enough complaints about it and we say enough. we start to take it personal. in our country automobiles are a big part of us. we have a love affair with them for sure. i think sometimes people feel an attack on their cars is like an attack on them. i live in a little town that has a terrible high school football team right now. we all know it but we don't always want to hear about it. it isn't what some of the people say it is how they say it. it doesn't come accross as helping, just complaining. i hope that makes some sense.
anyway, this is my attempt to help out. i do feel your pain.
the dog

X

xcursion

Very well said indeed, Damthrill and the Dog. I am with you, Askewed. Please keep your complaints and comments, along with your helpful knowledge and funny thoughts coming. We all need some place to vent.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, splitting specific vehicle issues ("my vehicle is broken") from product management/engineering decisions ("my vehicle could be improved") is always good.

Anyway, here are my half-baked comments on some of askewed's original list:

1) I personally like the location of the AUX port. It's out of the way and easy to run a wire to somewhere convenient. (FYI: It's also supposed to be a "modular" location... the Range Rover Sport RSE/DVD also gets two rear monitor A/V ports in the same location.) I'd rather complain about the lack of AUX volume offset (it's too quiet, generally) and the stupid Navigation voice that only has (+0 to 10) volume relative to the main volume setting.

2) I'm used to it. It is annoying if you have a passenger, though. At least you can select pre-saved locations and change a few things, especially via voice.

5) Sirius is now orderable as a factory option for LR3, as of earlier this month. Too late for us, of course.

7) Yes, indeed. Some dealer and service departments, well, suck big time. It's probably somewhat related to being a low volume brand. The ones by me are marginal, but they do try... and hopefully will get better since sales volume is way up thanks to LR3 and RRS.

8) Not sure what you mean on the mirror dipping. I have it disabled most of the time, but when I turn it on... it seems to work fine. The mirrors do return after D is selected. (If you want only one mirror to dip, just put the mirror in the normal location instead of lowering it before saving the "dipped" setting.)

9) Yes, one of my oldest complaints. No MP3 tags, and no CD Text on Audio CDs. Especially strange since the head unit supports & shows radio text.

11) Yes, one lockable glovebox location would be nice... just to keep the "honest" folk a bit more honest.

12) Agree. It seems a little silly you must switch from "auto" to manual headlight "on" to enable fog lights. I think the headlight washers are in this boat, too.

12a) As posted in the painful MPG thread, I do honestly get 14-15 MPG mixed, and easily see 18 MPG on highway only... dropping if I drive like a madman or haul a load. But, as always, mileage may vary. No idea why you don't get this.

X

xcursion

But what's the point of a lockable glovebox if there is no valet keys to keep the unwanted people out of your box?

P

pfb

What is so incredibly funny to me is that this is *exactly* the kind of crap that existed when I bought my first Disco in 94... Has LR learned nothing about 1) delivering a quality product, and 2) doing more for customer service than having "safari" themed showrooms in a dozen+ years?

And I second the feeling that LR service sucks. My local LR shop service staff is just *clueless*. Good parts department, good sales department, clueless service department. What's wrong with this picture? And with *so few* models and variations compared to, say, Toyota, why can't these service departments actually know there product?

I hated dealing with the local dealer (o.k., it's Land Rover Flatirons) SO MUCH that I just bought a Touareg V8 to replace my aged disco rather than the LR3, which I prefer in many ways.

Actually, I'll keep the disco, mostly because it has depreciated so much that it is probably worth less than my bill last time I had it in the shop :). 110K miles, leaks like a sieve, kind of rough for hauling clients around in these days, but it still will go damn near anywhere...

C

Carnut

I've owneed lots of cars, and I've had two lemons, so I can feel his pain. As far as the nav thing, none of my LX470's, or my Mercedes, or BWM's or the Cayenne Turbo I got rid of for the LR3 (needed third row) would allow me to enter anything on the Nav screen when it was moving. So far (1200 miles) I am happy with the truck the dealer and the service.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
PFB,
Funny you should mention buying the Touareg. I went with the LR3 because of the terrible lack of knowledge on the part of the VW techs when it came to fixing their higher tech items like the Treg and the phaeton. The VW forums are full of annoying problems and/or poor customer service. I guess bad service is becoming the norm rather than the exception.
So, knowing I was going to get bad service regardless, I went with what I knew...and been fortunate so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo