If you were to sell your LR3 what would you get if...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dugn8r, where abouts do you go wheeling? I have some seat time in 2005 Ruby's and the new JK. I agree completly that the Jeep is better off road at technical trails, but it gives up a lot also in other areas of off roading to the LR3. If you are anywhere near SoCal, let me show you what your LR3 can do. In fact, this weekend I am doing a nice trail run with a few other LR3's...

191481637-M.jpg

Last edited:

Dugn8r

Reaction score
Dugn8r, where abouts do you go wheeling? I have some seat time in 2005 Ruby's and the new JK. I agree completly that the Jeep is better off road at technical trails, but it gives up a lot also in other areas of off roading to the LR3. If you are anywhere near SoCal, let me show you what your LR3 can do. In fact, this weekend I am doing a nice trail run with a few other LR3's...

191481637-M.jpg

Oh, what I wouldn't give to take you up on that offer, but I live in West Palm Beach, FL. Now - I DID take the Rover to Tellico for the Jeep JAmboree last week (boy, did that turn heads) and I can't tell you how impressed I was. I did Trail 4 and Trail 5 with almost no problems - I did have to use the winch once with the FR tire and the RL tire were both on large rocks, leaving the other two tires to spin freely. I was actually under the impression that in the rock crawl mode, it would lock the differentials.

I don't believe that the standard Jeep JK unlimited would touch the LR3 off road - just the Rubicon model because of the larger, more aggresive tires and the lockers in both front and rear.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, what I wouldn't give to take you up on that offer, but I live in West Palm Beach, FL. Now - I DID take the Rover to Tellico for the Jeep JAmboree last week (boy, did that turn heads) and I can't tell you how impressed I was. I did Trail 4 and Trail 5 with almost no problems - I did have to use the winch once with the FR tire and the RL tire were both on large rocks, leaving the other two tires to spin freely. I was actually under the impression that in the rock crawl mode, it would lock the differentials.

I don't believe that the standard Jeep JK unlimited would touch the LR3 off road - just the Rubicon model because of the larger, more aggresive tires and the lockers in both front and rear.

OMG, i just wrote a long long long tutorial on Traction Control, and my computer refreshed and it's all gone. CRAP!

Here's the short short version:
You seem experienced with full floating axle vehicles and mechanical lockers. That is going to be a hinderance to you. Forget all that you know. The LR3 requires a different line, different throttle, different momentum, different braking, and different thinking.

I'm guessing that you had yourself cross axled (so to speak), with two opposing wheels in the air, and you gave it some throttle, and it just spun. I'm also guessing that when you let off the throttle, the truck would just start to get a bit of traction, lurch forward ever so slightly, then stop because you've lifted off the throttle or already applied the brake. I'm guessing that this lurch seemed promising, and you repeated the move 3 or 4 times, only to end in frustration each time.

Been there done that my friend! Traction Control works differently, and if what I described was happening to you, you've been overdriving the TC system.

You need to remember that you've got over 40% more power in the LR3 than your Jeep, and less tire contact patch. You also need to remember that TC works by reducing wheel spin, instead of a locker, which in a way, induces wheel spin on each side of the axle.

To let TC do it's thing, you need LESS throttle, at a CONSTANT amount, for a PERIOD of time. It's only a moment or two, but GENTLY hold that throttle for a few seconds, let the computer figure it out, and then, PRESTO! you will be up and over the obstacle.

DO NOT hit the brake, that overides the TC (and engages a different mode of the ABS system). The key is that gentle, consistent, constant throttle hold.

That "Easy Button" in the center console with the Rock Crawl mode helps, because it raises the sensitivity of the TC systems (actuates at lower wheel RPM's), but you still need a dash of skill to manipulate the system appropriately.

If you can find yourself a nice little V-ditch, use it to practise engaging the TC system, like we are doing in the photos below in our "Dipped in Green" training sessions through www.OffRoving.com

Have Fun!

Attachments

• 111358178-M.jpg
    111358178-M.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 111358144-M.jpg
    111358144-M.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 111358215-M.jpg
    111358215-M.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 84

Dugn8r

Reaction score
Hmmm... That is very cool... I'm not sure if I tried that or not, but the next chance I get, I'm going to do so. Thanks!

Tirewall

Reaction score
What is it worth?

I have an '05 LR3 V8 7 passenger with Nav and aftermarket DVD. The truck was originally an work vehicle paid for by my employer but I left that job and now the payments are mine. It has 55K on it and is in very good condition. I brought it to Carmax to be assessed for trade and they offered me $24K. Since I owe much more than that, it was no deal. I contacted my LR dealer about trading down to an older Disco and he said he could give me $23K!!!!! I was a bit surprised. Since I'm upside down in the LR3 I will keep it but it will take a while and some limitation on mileage before my equity situation improves. I bought it used for $38K and regrettably put 30,000 miles on it in 6 months (****** job). I have the fuel cap missing CEL as an ongoing annoyance with the dealer installing new caps at each service but no REAL problems, knock on my faux wood grain package.

Dugn8r

Reaction score
Yeah - the Rover probably had the worst depreciation of any vehicle in the world that I can think of.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99