Installation question: lamp guards and rear access ladder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step drill bit or rivet gun for the rear lamp guards? Just looking for consensus based on who of you used either mechanism.
I used a drill according to the instructions and then a rivnut tool.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have others done anything additional to seal the hole?

I could be wrong but I checked the official LR instructions for the rear lamp guards and ladder; neither indicate a requirement to seal bare metal for corrosion protection.

I could not locate instructions for the VPLAP0008 front lamp guards but my guess is that same.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not yet. Waiting for some 3M silicone automotive sealant to arrive. Might have to wait until this weekend.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend having the dealer install your roof rails. The glass roof is really a silly design, and there are plenty of stories of cracking or chipping the edges of the glass. So, you save 150 or so by installing it yourself vs a potential 1k+ fee to get a new roof. Really not worth the risk. I installed the rails myself, and I am not mechanically inclined, and did NOT crack the roof (that happened for a different reason!), but in hindsight, I would simply pay the fee.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend having the dealer install your roof rails. The glass roof is really a silly design, and there are plenty of stories of cracking or chipping the edges of the glass. So, you save 150 or so by installing it yourself vs a potential 1k+ fee to get a new roof. Really not worth the risk. I installed the rails myself, and I am not mechanically inclined, and did NOT crack the roof (that happened for a different reason!), but in hindsight, I would simply pay the fee.

Thanks. I'm just installing the rear tail light guards right now, not the roof rail. However, I think I will do the roof rails myself at some point. Might change my mind if I don't get too far with the install.

spizzi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All done!

Took me 4.5 hours but I spent 1.5 hours marking the holes and then triple guessing, then checking again :)

Turned out great!

The close up picture doesn't really show it well but the lamp guards are touching the body of the vehicle as they should.

Didn't need a rivnut gun - did some MacGyver stuff with $8.50 in parts at the hardware store.

Attachments

• photo[1].jpg
    photo[1].jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635