Is this possible to remove '16 LR4 running boards?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xavier4or

Reaction score
I was at my local LR dealership looking at the '16 LR4 and noticed the installed running boards.

I would like to remove the running boards and install some rock sliders - but the sales agent stated these are welded on - and can't be removed like past years.

Has anyone actually removed the running boards from a 2016 LR4?

Thanks folks!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was at my local LR dealership looking at the '16 LR4 and noticed the installed running boards.

I would like to remove the running boards and install some rock sliders - but the sales agent stated these are welded on - and can't be removed like past years.

Thanks folks!

He is lying. They are removable.

xavier4or

Reaction score
Woohoo. I thought he was "mis-informed" since I can't imagine from a service and replacement perspective - someone would have to replace the entire chassis frame if the running boards where damaged?!?

2 last questions:
* Are the removal of the running boards the same process between 2015 and 2016? I am looking for instructions to see how hard this is?
* Are they any rock sliders that say they are compatible with 2016 LR4? (I wasn't sure if they are any differences between past LR4 and 2016 version)

Forty Deuce

Reaction score

COJayhawk

Reaction score

Thanks folks!

They're totally removable. It's a pain in the ass yes, but doable. First side took me 40 min, second side maybe 20. You remove the plastic deck off the top of the steps; by removing the little nuts (giggle) underside. Then remove all the big Torx bolts on the under carriage along with some others. Next, you'll gently pop that vertical facing trim piece, open both doors for this, (I didn't take it all off) and remove the rest of the large torx bolts on the vertical face of the body. Be careful with the trim piece, the little plastic clips are very fragile. Weird because this thing is over-engineered like a tank. Each side has like 27 nuts and bolts...it's insane.

Obviously this is the quick and dirty, there are youtube videos out there too I think if you're not sure.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that they have been "mandatory" and a "safety" feature for some time, has anyone seen any downside from removing? What I mean, is that the Mfg put that on there and will not allow the dealers to remove. They also state that the owner is not to remove. They use the terminology "Federal Regulations" and such. Has anyone been in a side impact and had any issues with them removed? Any legal hassles?

Is my tinfoil hat on too tight?

COJayhawk

Reaction score
Now that they have been "mandatory" and a "safety" feature for some time, has anyone seen any downside from removing? What I mean, is that the Mfg put that on there and will not allow the dealers to remove. They also state that the owner is not to remove. They use the terminology "Federal Regulations" and such. Has anyone been in a side impact and had any issues with them removed? Any legal hassles?

Tinfoil is too tight Bro. :smile:

My understanding is it's a federal thing for all SUVs. But they are hideous. You can't make these trucks look good with any wheel setup with those asinine boat-side runners. These things have a 7,000lb curb weight, they're f'ing heavy and built. Those running boards are only going to come into play if you get hit by a small sedan, they're so low..

Maybe I'm skewed because I built custom Wranglers for ten years; most of the time running 37-40" tires with no doors much less no running boards. :stupid:

Take 'em off.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bottom line is that structurally, the LR3 and LR4 are identical with regards to the body and frame. If this were some overwhelming safety oversight, then 10 years worth of LR3s and LR4s would have been recalled (LR3 2004 - LR4 2013 before the new sidesteps).

There could very well have been some newer laws requiring more stringent side impact features for all SUVs. Everything prior to it would be unaffected. Again, point being.. the body and frames remain identical. The newer side steps added some material to beef up vs side impacts.

I guess you should ask yourself, how many LR3/LR4 side-impact incidents have there ever been reported? Don't sweat it whatsoever.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They aren't lying, they are just doing business in a lawsuit-happy marketplace. From Land Rover's perspective, if you do get hurt in a side impact collision after removing those boards in your garage despite their warnings, you can only blame yourself and your lawyer can't go after them or their dealers, which is why they stamp "Do not remove or you'll die!" all over those contraptions and all dealers will tell you that removing those life saving side bumpers is impossible and/or will cause the vehicle to fall apart like Jenga. If they even hinted that it was possible to remove them, someone would sue them, like, tomorrow morning for attempted ******, emotional distress and who-knows what else. That's the way things work in the United States.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72