LED Off Road Light Bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain the wiring for this?

Is it possible to run wires up the black a-pillar cover to the roof line? I still think I need to mount a wide light bar above the windshield but just below a wind fairing. My current thule wind fairing sits low, but If I got the newer style Voyager wind fairing it would sit up higher and give me some space for a light bar under it.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is it possible to run wires up the black a-pillar cover to the roof line? I still think I need to mount a wide light bar above the windshield but just below a wind fairing. My current thule wind fairing sits low, but If I got the newer style Voyager wind fairing it would sit up higher and give me some space for a light bar under it.

The wiring is easy. Directly from the light to the battery, and then of course to your switch (or however you decide to operate the light). I think you should be able to hide the wires inside the A-Pillar. When I had my windshield replaced, I'm pretty sure the glass technician just popped them off.

As far as a light bar goes, it would definitely look great up there. When I get a rack, I'll have a 50-52" bar up there. Rigid Industries is of course the "top of the line" brand, and it shows when you look at their prices. With that being said, I know several people who have gone with generic Chinese light bars from eBay with zero complaints.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd want to go with something good (And bright).. so rigid looks like the best option. It is a pricey project, but I think it would be nice for really bad weather or general SHTF situations... or just for all the ass holes who drive at me with brights on.

jbrincks

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Assuming the LR4 is the same as the LR3 you can pop the A Pillar cover off to run the wiring. I had to pull mine off when I mounted the snorkel (LR3). Be careful when pulling it off though, the plastic clips that connect it to the metal break easily.

A light bar will really look nice up there.

HikeNbike

Reaction score
i was going to mount a light above the glass but i decided not too... It is worse with black cars but in general you have a glare reflection that bounces off the hood when you have lights right above the glass... especially with high gloss paint. you can accomplish sufficient lighting without having roof lights. Of course if its just for ascetics then go nuts... get the new 50" that curves..

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at lighting options for my LR4 (lots of desert / dune driving). Without going with a Voyager rack and adding lights, the only options I have seen is to add the factory bumper mounts and throw a pair of upgraded lights on it. But I am really not convinced with the aesthetics of two bumper mounted lights.

I wish there were more readily available options out there without custom work needing done!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was going to mount a light above the glass but i decided not too... It is worse with black cars but in general you have a glare reflection that bounces off the hood when you have lights right above the glass... especially with high gloss paint. you can accomplish sufficient lighting without having roof lights. Of course if its just for ascetics then go nuts... get the new 50" that curves..

I was looking at the new curved 50", its pretty cool, but its also the dual row style which is a bit taller.

For my plan to work as I was thinking, i would need an SR2 50" I think.

Maybe they will make a curved single row?

The glare is a good point. I could add a little shield or something or just see how bad it would be. Something to think about though. My car is Fuji white.

ANGLR4

Reaction score
Here you go. Mounted 30" in front grill and no shaking, recessed to keep it looking like its part of the vehicle, and only $275 thru Amazon. It's a tuff stuff lightbar. I compared it with the rigid (I bought both) and quality and performance were the same. My light meter showed a negligible increase in output by the rigid. Certainly not worth the almost four times more per bar cost.
Driving is vastly increased. 99 percent of the roads around Montana have no lights. Not any more!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
Last edited:

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here you go. Mounted 30" in front grill and no shaking, recessed to keep it looking like its part of the vehicle, and only $275 thru Amazon. It's a tuff stuff lightbar. I compared it with the rigid (I bought both) and quality and performance were the same. My light meter showed a negligible increase in output by the rigid. Certainly not worth the almost four times more per bar cost.
Driving is vastly increased. 99 percent of the roads around Montana have no lights. Not any more!

So what is the difference between the tuff stuff and rigid then?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM