LR3 Spare Tire Winch Problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark G

Reaction score
Does anyone know if these winches are failure prone?
I have an '05 LR3 with @ 100k miles on it which I bought new and have only had two (2) fllats and/or occcassions to lower and raise my spare. Yesterday I took my latest flat to Car-X (where I bought this 3rd set), had it patched then asked them to mount it.
Their tech used an air wrench on my spare winch and it "locked up". The cable would not reel in or out (or up/down).
The Assistannt Manager told me these spare winches fail all the time and was certain I could verify this using Google...but I can't find any mention. :stupid: Car-X quoted me $250 to replace it - which may be a deal since my dealer's parts department told me the part alone would cost $280. :hmpf:
Any help, knowledge or constructive input would be greatly appreciated

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their tech used an air wrench on my spare winch and it "locked up". The cable would not reel in or out (or up/down).
The Assistannt Manager told me these spare winches fail all the time.

They fail all the time... if you use an air wrench because you are too lazy to use the provided wheel nut brace! Somewhere on your manual it specifically says NOT to use power tools to operate that winch. Show the page to the Assistant Manager and insist that they should replace the part for free, since they broke it. Idiots.

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They should pay. Winch for spare should also never be used without load or it can get bound up.

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over winching happens all the time. If they don't cough up for the repair, you may still be able to salvage the unit. I had to unbolt mine and blast the heck out of the inside with copious amounts of WD40. Mud and dirt packed the cable opening and it just made the unit a bear to operate. There is no spring assembly inside. It's a simple gear which wraps the cable. Sounds like you might be able to work the cable loose by pulling on it and someone above working the winch. The cable can wrap over itself and bind if you crank too fast or there is no tension on the line at the time of cranking.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine got all knotted up and inoperable, just hand winching maybe twice in my ownership period?
Edit: I unbolted it (it's very easy to do) and brought into the dealerships Parts counter. He handed me a new one and I installed it. No big deal.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood, it's just an out-of-whack little winch... But I still think the geniuses at that Car-X outfit should be the ones getting dirty down there, pulling this and unbolting that. :biggrin: I mean, they are a tire shop (allegedly) and - of all people - they should know better than using an air gun on a spare tire winch hoist... Every car manufacturer using a similar mechanism says that's a big no-no.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are all over ebay for $80 or so if all else fails. But yes mine has a sticker with a hand tools only logo or something like that.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn. Belle Tire just busted my armrest and scratched up the interior near the jack access trying to figure out how to stow the jack and tools properly. I better check the spare tire winch as well since they are paying for the armrest.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 3rd winch. You need to (a) use the hand wrench, (b) be sure there is tension on the tire going down and up, and (c) hit it with some dry lubricant, such as silicon or teflon occasionally. They were really made for the small spare, not the full size spare, much less an oversize such as a 285x60x18, which is snug. You also need to take your time, both lowering and raising the wheel. If they did it, they should pay.

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine went out this year when I had a FS spare mounted adn replaced the temp. to my knowledge it was the first time the spare was let down since I purchased the vehicle. The tire shop did not use a power toll because I watched to be sure. Yet the winch failed to lift the tire into place. (used this tire shop for years-very confident in his work)
Took an argument with the LR dealer to replace it under warranty, and the tire shop offered to do it for me for no labor cost if I went and purchased the part.
Land Rover gave me all the same arguments about useing hand tool only-specifically the tool that comes with the truck....yet if still broke

Hopefully the new winch will last longer than 1 year and half

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4