LR4 Favorite Year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the higher LR4 prices are due to increased demand as final LR4 demand spikes and the reality of $80K for an out the door LUX/HD Discovery 5 sinks in.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be the higher LR4 prices are due to increased demand as final LR4 demand spikes and the reality of $80K for an out the door LUX/HD Discovery 5 sinks in.
I agree. It was impossible for us to find the exact color combo we wanted in a 2012/3. Literally took over a year. One would pop up in my alerts, I'd call, and it would already be gone within 24hours. And I'm still tracking prices on them for fun - I'm pretty sure I could sell ours for what we paid for it. And that's 6 months older and 5k more miles. I also agree with folks that the V8s with the dual transfer case are in high demand. Soon the 13s and the 14s are going to be about the same price.

-Rich

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty curious about the values like 10 years from now. I don't think they will be crazy anything like a defender, but I do wonder if these will hold up a little better, price wise.

"Last of the V8 Land Rover" sounds somewhat valuable.. maybe?

These threads just make me want to throw a cover over mine and leave it alone... If someone crashed into it I don't know what I would do.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It was impossible for us to find the exact color combo we wanted in a 2012/3. Literally took over a year. One would pop up in my alerts, I'd call, and it would already be gone within 24hours. And I'm still tracking prices on them for fun...

-Rich
Rich, what websites did you find most fruitful? (in terms of the number of LR4s and motivated sellers)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, in the 2013 year, what is the significant difference between
LUX, HSE and Base?
I don't see anything obvious coming up in pictures.

I'm not looking for a full list of options, just why I'd want HSE or LUX over base.

For some reason, there are a ton of Base units out there. Must be off lease or else the dealers just ordered a ton. I had falsely assumed I was looking at HSEs as the base.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich, what websites did you find most fruitful? (in terms of the number of LR4s and motivated sellers)
I used the normal ones (autotrader, my dealer, LR US, etc), but for me, searching for that needle in a haystack, Carmax was perfect. Tons of pictures, I could search the entire US, an excellent alert system and they ship AWD/4x4s to Colorado for free. I know some people have had poor experiences with Carmax, but I've bought two cars from them now (both pretty rare/hard to find) and been very happy. I also had two dealers searching for them, but Carmax consistently got in a broad selection.

-Rich

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, in the 2013 year, what is the significant difference between
LUX, HSE and Base?
I don't see anything obvious coming up in pictures.

The base model is the one dealers advertised for $49,999 to get buyers in the door. Doubt that any had the HD pack, most were also missing xenon headlights and cold climate pack.

Sounds silly, but getting the memory driver seat was a must for us so we got the HSE-LUX. The LUX radio sound quality is much better and I actually use the center console cooler box to store my lunch when traveling. I may still have a 2013 brochure and if so I'll email you the chart with features by model.

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny how they spec different markets. 99% of the LR4s I see over here are SE, yet my SE has 7 pax seating, coolbox, xenons, etc all as standard.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just like any vehicle, the resale will only be noticeably higher for the V8 or the HD package in the private market. The trade in value will remain the same as it's all done by algorithms, so if you have a 2016 w/HD then you will probably only get a few hundred bucks more on your trade opposed to a private seller willing to pay much more. I've always said that I would sell my vehicle myself, but I always end up doing a trade to curtail the taxes and outsource the hassle. Plus the LR4 isn't exactly a super rare vehicle in the states like a defender is.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The base model is the one dealers advertised for $49,999 to get buyers in the door. Doubt that any had the HD pack, most were also missing xenon headlights and cold climate pack.

Sounds silly, but getting the memory driver seat was a must for us so we got the HSE-LUX. The LUX radio sound quality is much better and I actually use the center console cooler box to store my lunch when traveling. I may still have a 2013 brochure and if so I'll email you the chart with features by model.
Ahh, yes, memory seats are key.
I also have the Xenon headlights on my LR3 and they are great. At 223K I have never had to replace/service them and they spoil me for all other headlights when I have a rental car or drive my wife's. They are the ones that turn with the wheel to follow the road. Very clear and bright.

Thanks, Paul. Okay, that's only on LUX.

I have limited my search to HSE or LUX models now. There are less of them, but still a lot out there.

Don't really care for the cooler box as I have all kind of crap jammed in that center console. Would rather use it for storage than sandwiches. ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72