LR4 Tow Assist - does it exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great, really helpful! when i just called the dealer they seem to be pretty clueless when it come to actually hooking in an electric brake controller. i was thinking of buying the prodigy p2 as i dont think i need all of the features on the p3. do i just buy the adaptive cable from etrailer.com and its as simple as that??

Yup, it's that simple. If you can install a radar detector, then you can install the brake controller.

No real difference in performance for P2 vs P3. P3 you pay $15 more and get an LCD display.

dougdep

Reaction score
Yup, it's that simple. If you can install a radar detector, then you can install the brake controller.

No real difference in performance for P2 vs P3. P3 you pay $15 more and get an LCD display.

thanks again. just ordered the p2 and wiring harness. hopefully i can figure out how to do it this weekend. sounds pretty simple, almost too simple!

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know that the tow feature shows on the camera screen without the trailer, that way I can make sure they have it solved before I leave next time. I even told them there was a Car Configuration File that had to be modified but the service adviser seemed to think they had already done that.

I'm thinking that since my trailer is white I can just paint three black dots on it using the sticker I purchased as a template.

Is it just me or does it seem like it's fairly complicated get a trailer fully set up with this rig? Things I have purchased:
- hitch receiver (ebay new)
- hitch arm, ball, and locking pin (etrailer.com)
- tow wiring (ebay)
- trailer sticker (dealer)
- brake controller and wiring harness (etrailer.com)
- 6 to 7 pin trailer wiring adapter (uhaul)
- dealer service to "enable" tow assist (at least 2 trips now)

My last pickup, granted I didn't have all these features, but I bought
- a ball (mounted on bumper)

Never towed before... So what do I need to get to start towing? As I understand, brake controller and wiring harness is a plus, but not necessary, right? And another question - does the trailer setup happening only if it has Vision Assist, or it happens anyway, but there is no trailer assist?

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And one more question - in one of those YouTube videos they store all the accessories (hitch, receiver...) in the left rear compartment of the cargo space - is there a special bracket that has to be installed in there to hold it?

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And one more question - in one of those YouTube videos they store all the accessories (hitch, receiver...) in the left rear compartment of the cargo space - is there a special bracket that has to be installed in there to hold it?

Yes you need a special bracket from the dealer to stow away the tow accessories. Tow assist is only available in the vision assist package. Trailer assist is part of the lux package. Tow assist has to do with the cameras. Trailer assist has to do with trailer stabiliity at high speeds. two different things.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes you need a special bracket from the dealer to stow away the tow accessories. Tow assist is only available in the vision assist package. Trailer assist is part of the lux package. Tow assist has to do with the cameras. Trailer assist has to do with trailer stabiliity at high speeds. two different things.

Ok, Thanks!

So I guess LUX has this that is Trailer assist, right?:

Land Rover Trailer Stability technology - YouTube

I kind of had that feeling... However, how the Trailer assist works? Where "the sensors " are? :)

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes its part of the lux package but I have no idea how it works or if there area any sensors involved. The feature needs to be programed by the dealer and the tow electrics need to be installed.

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, and according the the current LR-USA web site, you do not need the Lux package to get the Trailer Stability Assist. They show it standard on all trim levels. I believe this is true on my 2011 HSE also although I'm not sure of any conclusive way to test it.

Brake controller is optional although check your local laws. If what you are towing is pretty light you can get by without it. But I w3ould think that as cheap and as easy to install as they are, it's worth having for any braked trailer...probably pay for itself saving your brake pads and rotors.

You WILL need the wiring harness unless whatever you are towing doesn't even have brake lights. Assuming it does, you MAY need a 6 pin to 7 pin converter depeding on your trailer wiring.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake controller is optional although check your local laws. If what you are towing is pretty light you can get by without it. But I w3ould think that as cheap and as easy to install as they are, it's worth having for any braked trailer...probably pay for itself saving your brake pads and rotors.

You WILL need the wiring harness unless whatever you are towing doesn't even have brake lights. Assuming it does, you MAY need a 6 pin to 7 pin converter depeding on your trailer wiring.
Thanks!

If it does actively help, not just a gauge, I will definitely install it. I just was not sure what it does, and the most importantly, how effective that is…
Is there Brake controller that LR recommends?

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are asking what a brake controller does, then what it does is sense when the vehicle is slowing down (some use an internal accelerometer) and then apply the brake signal to the trailer. It has an adjustment for controlling how hard the brakes are applied...a fully loaded trailer will need heavy braking, while an empty trailer will skid the wheels if too much brake is applied. I don't think there is any Land Rover "recommended" part...and it is probably more a function of the trailer than the tow vehicle anyway. As I mention above, the Tekonsha P-3 is a good choice and should handle any trailer the LR4 is capable of towing. Light trailers do not have brakes so obviously it is of no use with those.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM