LR4 Tow Assist - does it exist?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you installed the tow electrics yourself, then you have to have the dealer activate the trailer stability assist.
not sure if trailer stability assist is standard on all models. very possible though.
I installed it myself. I guess my question is - After dealer activates it, how do I know they had it activated? :) Because I talked to the guy twice already, he promised to call me back yesterday with info and did not; I called him today - he said he was not able to get any info from LR... I asked him how come - he put me on hold, and then said to bring it in so his technician will look at it. :)
What are they going to look at? :))

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, talked to another dealer - he said right away that it has to be activated. Will take an hour... whatever, as long as he knows what he is doing. :)

Daniel Hull

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming you have the vision package, then what they can activate is the towing assist. This is a feature that, after you put a sticker with 3 black dots on your trailer, helps you align the trailer when backing up or attaching the hitch. If it is active you will know by checking your camera view as a new "Towing View" will now be present, even when no trailer is attached. Apparently LRNA has not done a very good job of explaining this feature to the dealerships and how to activate it, so find a dealer and service advisor that has done it before or you may be in for some run around.

Other features such as trailer stability, to my knowledge, do not need any activation. Trailer lights, braking, etc, are all fine without any dealer activation.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trailer stability assist does need to be programmed by dealer. The vehicle. Weds to be programmed to recognize that a trailer has been attached. Had it done on both my 2010 and 2011 LR4s.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys.
I guess it is time to talk to LRNA. This is crazy...

baobay,
So you are saying that if I connect the trailer without programming, there will be no messages on the dash etc what so ever?
Going to U-Haul tomorrow to test.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys.
I guess it is time to talk to LRNA. This is crazy...

baobay,
So you are saying that if I connect the trailer without programming, there will be no messages on the dash etc what so ever?
Going to U-Haul tomorrow to test.

I don't think so. Let us know when you do it.

hy45100

Reaction score
Hello - I have a 2014 LR4. Can y'all tell me which Land Rover dealership assisted with the hitch assist install? I live in Austin, Tx and the dealership here has NO idea what I am talking about. I have provided information regarding the hitch assist feature, but it has taken them two weeks and still nothing has been found out from them on how to add the feature on my car.

hy45100

Reaction score
update regarding my post... i called the houston land rover north and a technician told us to have the austin land rover plug the computer to the car then go to accessories then electronics. the hitch assist and tow ball is now an option when you go to extra features > cameras > settings

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM