LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If LR fails completely with the new Defender then the only iconic option left (IMO) is the Merc G-Wagon...just saying...The toyota offerings look like a frumpy housewife in yoga pants...

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno the Land Cruiser with some beefier tires on it looks just fine to my eye.

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love MB G wagon but unfortunately it is in a different cla$$. LR4 was lots of car for the money.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Center console with coil suspension, I guess a few are indeed coming over:

2017-land_rover-discovery-1033334059.jpg

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Less function/form and purpose, more fad/Ford and bling. Way to go LR!

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fine, but then it still doesn't look anything like a land rover, rather a unibody crossover with offroad package, like a MY2020 Jeep/VW/Audi or something :)

I mean, all that offroad versioning simply cannot get rid of that ugly, Ford like side profile with slanted B-Pillar and that ugly rear end design. Sorry :)

I get the attempt to improve dynamics, but when designing an earth mobile vs an airplane, there is always a line you draw somewhere between maximum efficiency and the pure ugliness. Otherwise designs of all automobiles today would have looked like a fusion between a boat and an airplane.

With that said, I could guarantee you all that an LR4 would still look modern and current in the year 2020, and not in an iconic sense, rather from a point of view of pure design statement (maybe with the exception of that forced, blingified front grille which was a mediocre attempt to bring it in line with the other BlingMobiles in the current lineup. There is a good reason why an LR3' front end still looks clean and modern even after 12 years.)

Simply my personal opinion, a minimalist design is always timeless (Less is more.) And in LR3/4 case, the design is not only timeless, its actually every bit as functional, owing to the "Form follows function" philosophy in sight as the very first line was drawn on the drawing board by LR3' design team.

Yes LR, you indeed have screwed it up as far as LR5/Discovery :)

Last edited:

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could guarantee you all that an LR4 would still look modern and current in the year 2020

Only problem is there will probably be no low mileage LR4s around then, just like there are nearly no low mileage LR3s now. For someone like me who typically gets rid of vehicles around the 75k range, I am hoping the defender will be nice...but if they build off the D5 uni-body then who knows what it'll be like. The G-Wagon is truly the last of the continuing production vehicles that are keeping with an iconic look, going on 40 years now. I just wish they weren't so pricey...but meh, guess I'll have to make more money.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This situation is total Deja Vu for me. From 2001 to 2005 Audi sold the A6-based allroad here. Anyone that owned one loved it for its ability to haul lots of stuff through any weather. I had a 2002 with a manual transmission that I drove for over 200K miles before it got tired. I replaced it in 2006 with an A4 avant that was more reliable, ran for 200K miles, but wasn't an allroad. Audi no longer offered the A6 allroad, only a smaller A4 allroad that every A6 allroad owner hated. My only solution was to locate a used, low mileage 2005 allroad and drive happy again. Same thing will happen with the LR4. We will hang on to them and try to keep them going as long as possible, because like the A6 allroad, there just won't be anything like them again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM