LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supa

Reaction score
Indeed. Hold out for a certified Landmark

I just upgraded from my 2005 XC 70 to a Landmark LR4 with HD and tow package. Drove it back from Texas to Colorado yesterday. The 12 hour trip was effortless and the once drive fatigue was none existent.

I bought this version of the LR4 because my wife and I didn't like the direction that the spy photos were alluding to. Too roundish for our liking.

Because we live in the mountains, camp, hunt and off road there was no way that we were going with a SUV / truck that did not have 4 low, so that means the XC90 (even though it's a **** beast IMO), BMW or Audi were off the list!

Nothing compares to the lux and capability of the LR4 and my house was focusing on the capability aspect.

The people on this thread complaining of the interior and comparing to non off road worthy vehicles, are they actually going off road? If not then why are they even considering this brand?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me, that's like saying "why'd you get a Labrador if you're not a duck hunter?" Yes, it's skill set is retrieving, but it's also got other great traits.

Same goes with LR4, ride quality/comfort, ride height, great visibility, ability in snow, cargo volume for it's size, looks, and yes a little bit of prestige are some of it's other assets.

I have off roaded my LR3 quite a bit but have yet to take my 2013 off road - had it for about a year but haven't had any time. If it never went off road again, it's still what I would own.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing compares to the lux and capability of the LR4 and my house was focusing on the capability aspect.

The people on this thread complaining of the interior and comparing to non off road worthy vehicles, are they actually going off road? If not then why are they even considering this brand?

I think you said it yourself, nothing compares to the LUX and Capability of the LR4. Looking at the new interior I am not seeing much LUX like what the current LR4 has.

If the new one keeps a fraction of the capability, great! If it loses the Luxury and feel of something that is nice to be inside of like the LR4, then it's not the same vehicle.

And really, while I agree transfer cases are great, modern traction control systems with setting appropriate tires and these 8-10 speed transmissions will get 98%+ of the population to where ever they want to go.

Use your example of the new XC90 by Volvo. Put appropriate tires on it, some form of an aluminum skid plate in a couple places and order it with the Air Suspension and its got as much clearance as the LR4 and an interior that is beautiful and elegant. Pair the tires with the traction control system and your set. Go search YouTube for some off-road video's of it and you will be impressed at where I have seen some european/russian magazines take it.

Pair that with much better fuel economy (19 on a good day vs 25 which in reading XC90 forums seems easy to achieve) and similar cargo volumes and you have to question why you stay with LR other than a love of the green oval.

All that said I feel like they have nailed the design and capability of the RR and RRS. Just hoping they don't blow it on the LR5/D5.

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no concerns over the interior of those spy shots. That is one version of the car and for better or for worse, LR only seems to ship the high dollar luxury interior models our way. I'd actually prefer if they offered us a version high on capability and low on gloss.

As stated, I share some of the earlier concerns mentioned with the overall exterior look and features (lack of split gate) that seem to be missing. And that overwhelming similarity to the Ford Explorer.

I suspect it'll keep the offroad capability that most of us want. epiclr4, interesting to read your take on the XC90. I had pretty much discounted that vehicle as I kept reading it just isn't designed for offroad use. It's a soccer mom SUV. I'll look up some of the features you mentioned, though, but may not look for the videos. I've seen videos of Toyota Highlanders offroad, but that doesn't mean I'd buy one. ;)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I showed those spy shots to my service/LR dealer guy yesterday. Rolling eyes and laughter.

He did say that a good friend of his who works for LR "corporate" had seen a setup of the new Discovery painted in Camel Trophy yellow with an ARB bumper and other "stuff". Apparently it "looked" awesome.

Now, as I'm sure you noticed that was a 2nd or 3rd hand story. And it is easy to using paint and other accessories to provide the appearance, the perception that some is more than it is. But if this is true then at least the marketing guys may make an attempt to "sell" the new Discovery to the "off road"/adventuresome market. Or maybe that was an SVR version. Or maybe it is a myth. Or maybe, just maybe, this new Discovery will actually be fairly decent off road and for adventuring even if they shrink the cargo room.

(For those of you who care about Apple products, all of this speculation about the next Discovery reminds me of the rumor mill that surrounds new Apple iPhones and stuff.)

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(For those of you who care about Apple products, all of this speculation about the next Discovery reminds me of the rumor mill that surrounds new Apple iPhones and stuff.)

HAHA, so true. I'm a 100% Apple/Mac guy and that's exactly what I've been thinking. The only difference is that the Mac rumors (from certain sources, at least) are usually eerily accurate. Still, fun to speculate, gripe, complain bitterly about vaporware vehicles that may or may not ever even see the light of day, and then speculate some more. :biggrin:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I showed those spy shots to my service/LR dealer guy yesterday. Rolling eyes and laughter.

He did say that a good friend of his who works for LR "corporate" had seen a setup of the new Discovery painted in Camel Trophy yellow with an ARB bumper and other "stuff". Apparently it "looked" awesome.

Now, as I'm sure you noticed that was a 2nd or 3rd hand story. And it is easy to using paint and other accessories to provide the appearance, the perception that some is more than it is. But if this is true then at least the marketing guys may make an attempt to "sell" the new Discovery to the "off road"/adventuresome market. Or maybe that was an SVR version. Or maybe it is a myth. Or maybe, just maybe, this new Discovery will actually be fairly decent off road and for adventuring even if they shrink the cargo room.

Not sure how ARB, a third party off-road supplier, creates an aftermarket bumper for a truck that isn't even released yet! Definitely would take those stories with a grain of salt.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, any of you who have talked to LR reps who have seen the car... has anyone reported if the seating is still fold flat? Not "mostly flat," but hard and flat like the current LR3/LR4.

Thanks!

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how ARB, a third party off-road supplier, creates an aftermarket bumper for a truck that isn't even released yet! Definitely would take those stories with a grain of salt.

I would be shocked if LR doesn't already have a short list of vendors under NDA, working with same, with a specific future (sync'd with LR press release) expiration date on the NDA.

Last edited:

namenda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the new Discovery or a Discovery Sport? Pics are from a RRS UK forum. I don't know the original source.

Attachments

• Disco 1.jpg
    Disco 1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Disco 2.jpg
    Disco 2.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 143

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member