LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this the new Discovery or a Discovery Sport? Pics are from a RRS UK forum. I don't know the original source.
Looks like the DiscoverySport/LR2 to me. Too small to be the Discovery/LR5 concept. Grill also seems smaller and rear hatch looks different.

It might also be a Ford Explorer... :smile:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the new Disco, almost undisguised. Here are a few more from Autocar UK:

discovery14.jpg

discovery10.jpg

discovery07.jpg

discovery03.jpg

Source: http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2017-land-rover-discovery-spotted-almost-undisguised

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not even remotely growing on me. I'd rather have a RRS than this bloated Explorer wanna be.

Best choice is getting current Landmark edition. :) heck get a RR. I hope it improves and it's just a marketing thing hiding the real deal true to its heritage Land Rover. Fingers crossed.

JotaDe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way on the other side of the fence then most of you. :aetsch:

I like the way it looks!
I've always enjoyed the RR look, and this looks closer to that.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, still looks pretty bland, but I trust when it has racks, logos and body flair on it, it'll look a little more distinctive. I'd think they strip off anything for these drive-arounds.

On the pictures namenda posted (first two) it looks like there is a split on the left side of the rear hatch.
Is there a chance they still have a tailgate? As opposed to the dreaded entire rear lift gate...

attachment.php

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely looks like it'll retain the split tailgate but a roof spoiler??? I'll be keeping the LR4 unless an awesome SVR version in the works.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, still looks pretty bland, but I trust when it has racks, logos and body flair on it, it'll look a little more distinctive. I'd think they strip off anything for these drive-arounds.

On the pictures namenda posted (first two) it looks like there is a split on the left side of the rear hatch.
Is there a chance they still have a tailgate? As opposed to the dreaded entire rear lift gate...

attachment.php

Agree, still pretty pedestrian. As for the tailgate, given the concave shape of the rear hatch and the curved top side of the rear bumper, I would say there is zero chance of a tailgate.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to tell, but did it lose some approach and departure angles? And for me, who is about to take delivery on a 5,500 lbs (loaded) trailer with a 700 lbs tongue weight I need to know that it didn't go backwards in towing capability. OTOH, if it retains the LR4 towing rating/capability AND they fix the stupid hitch receiver problem and they retain some form of tailgate and the same length cargo area and it goes completely flat - then I will put an imaginary bag over it and buy one (eventually). But those are a lot of ifs.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's OK, nobody is force feeding this one down our throat the minute it launches.

To be perfectly honest, it took me a while - a long while - to warm to the design of the LR3 when it first came out in 2004. It definitely wasn't love at first sight, quite the opposite. At first I thought it looked weird with that funky ass and way too chunky and boxy all around, didn't like it one bit. I loved - lusted after would be more appropriate I guess - the 1st gen RRS when it came out the following year, so much so that I purchased the fully blinged-out model on display at my local dealership's showroom, chrome rims and all.

It was only after I started wheeling and seeing beefed up LR3s off road a few years later that a light bulb went off in my tiny little brain and I saw the beauty and uniqueness of this design. I would venture to say that the LR3/4 design managed to age even better than the original Sport I so loved (and still do.) But it's time to let go and realize the auto industry - Land Rover included - has moved on. I see what they are doing. They need a sleeker model with more mainstream appeal that doesn't just scream "utility and children / cargo room inside!" like to LR3 did, and I can't really see anything objectionable in the test mule above. Love it or hate it, it looks like a modern Land Rover. The LR4 looks like a relic - by comparison, that is.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM