LR5 Release Updates?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As for the interior, I don't care for it at all. Even assuming that they would "update" the interior I expected, well, more. They want to keep up with the competition? It looks like their first major update in years is already years behind. That screen - too small. Flat buttons? Some may think the round air vents were out of date. I find these horizontal air vents to be, like 1970's, man. (My aunt had a Buick with vents like that.)

All the more reason for me to try to stay in an LR4 as long as possible. Having driven a 2016 Land Cruiser this week, I really don't want to go there until I have to. But, unless LR surprises us with the new Defender, an LR4 will be my last LR vehicle.

Such a shame when a storied brand fritters away its mystique in such a seemingly needless way. I say that as a rank consumer w/no nuanced understanding of the economics of auto design and model refreshes. They must have a rationale...right?

I like the profile of the new release so far, looking forward to seeing the final project. Hopefully it's a cross between today's RR and LR4.

I can't imagine that's the final dash, it's too outdated and with a tiny screen.

Be back later, I have to go take a flea dip after seeing that guy on my computer screen.

I looked closely at the tail views. Maybe they did a masterful job of camouflaging the hatch(es) but I didn't see any sign of the signature asymmetrical treatment that I thought was part of the Disco's design language. Throwing that in, and maybe even a little **** on the roofline would have made the medicine go down a little easier for me. Hoping that some of that heritage makes it into the final design.

"flea dip" ****!!! :biggrin:

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad I got the 2015 Lux for my wife. The interior on my 2014 Suburban looks better than this 2017 spy shot. I rent a lot of cars and the it reminds me of the crap boxes I rent all the time.

And, who's buying a $70k+ vehicle with a touchscreen that's smaller than some smartphones? Wow, it's a damn wonder they ever put anything cool out the door...

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, a brand new 2016 model, close to $70k also comes with a tiny touchscreen that is smaller than some phones and not nearly as responsive as touchscreens from the worst smartphones. LR was never about amazing interiors with modern tech so I don't expect the new Disco/LR5 to be any different.

I love the current LR4 but if I had to compare the interior, it's no better than the latest Mazda.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well maybe it is a true base-model/ test mule dash. There is not much going on there, no heated seats that I can see, most of the button spots seem blank and there is no HD package on the thing (I only see 4 driving modes instead of 5). I could see a larger screen fitting in the dash if it were all touchscreen with no buttons on the side - maybe that is an upgrade??

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be, but I was expecting a more revolutionary approach from Land Rover for the new Discovery (look at what Volvo did with their new XC90), after all the hinting and sneak-peeking of amazing tech such as intelligent laser terrain scanning, transparent hood, and so on. We'll see, but these spy shots are definitely underwhelming.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, to be fair, a brand new 2016 model, close to $70k also comes with a tiny touchscreen that is smaller than some phones and not nearly as responsive as touchscreens from the worst smartphones. LR was never about amazing interiors with modern tech so I don't expect the new Disco/LR5 to be any different.

I love the current LR4 but if I had to compare the interior, it's no better than the latest Mazda.

Well, the lux we have is pretty nice and I just helped my buddy by a loaded CX5, I can tell you that's a poor comparison. Even if I concede to your point, the expectations for a ground up replacement (LR4 to LR5) are very different than the expectations for a sheet metal upgrade (LR3 to LR4).

Certainly, when you start with a clean slate and you are trying to attract a new demographic at the $70k range, the expectation is luxury. I don't think many people are buying the LR4 with the expectation of luxury. Additionally, I don't think any buyers in the $70k range are going to think that LR5 interior pick suggested luxury.

Just sayin'

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Underwhelming is an understatement. LR prices have crept through the stratosphere. Compare the interior of an X5 dash and electronics. These two vehicles (2017 spy vs modern X5) do not seem like they are even from the same decade!

Pretty sure my next vehicle is a 2017 Raptor this fall. I've zero hope on the Discovery at this point. The redesign Defender might be some hope down the line.

Hayseed_LR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just traded out of a loaded up 2015 X5 to the LR4 and am very happy. The X5 is a better car on paper in almost every way (faster, handling, UI, MPG, etc) but the LR4 beats it in character hands down. The ride quality is much better on the LR4 and the radio sounds leaps above the HK radio in the X5. The interior quality of components and layout are very comparable.

The new Disco 5 seems to be losing the uniqueness and character. I put about 40k miles per year and will keep this for 2 years and then see what happens.

I get far more compliments on the LR4 than I ever did on the X5.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Underwhelming is an understatement. LR prices have crept through the stratosphere. Compare the interior of an X5 dash and electronics. These two vehicles (2017 spy vs modern X5) do not seem like they are even from the same decade!

Pretty sure my next vehicle is a 2017 Raptor this fall. I've zero hope on the Discovery at this point. The redesign Defender might be some hope down the line.

I too am looking forward to the Raptor or just hoping soccer moms start turning in their LR4 for the 5. So torn as I miss the Rover dearly but boy the Raptor ticks a whole lotta boxes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM