NAV8 vs SCV6 Comparison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do too, for a multitude of reasons. But mostly that if I can get 6-8 mpg better for the same price of premium gas.
I may have mentioned that my neighbor has one and it's quite nice on the inside. She did have some electrical problems with it early on (was in the shop for 2 weeks), but seems to be fine now. It's a nice vehicle, but a bit different than the LR4.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have mentioned that my neighbor has one and it's quite nice on the inside. She did have some electrical problems with it early on (was in the shop for 2 weeks), but seems to be fine now. It's a nice vehicle, but a bit different than the LR4.

It's really kind of between a LR4 and RRS in many ways. Size of the RRS. Wheelbase and angles of an LR4. Air Suspension of both. More features than an LR4 and features are on par with a new RRS. Comes stock with roof rails and a hitch. The more I compare them it is a very interesting mix between them. Of course I think everyone agrees the JGC is a pretty nice bang for your buck.

My father has had a V6 Gas version for 2+ years now and has really enjoyed it. Probably enjoyed it more than any vehicle he has ever had. Has even regularly gotten 26 mpg out of it going the speed limit on long trips.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an '11 LR4 with the V8, and a '14 SCV6.

mg, since you have both models, I was curious if you have noticed any difference between the two in the following areas:

Steering wheel weight (if there is a difference, whose is heavier),
Suspension tuning, if you feel any difference between the two.

Would love to hear from anybody else here having experience with both, pre-'14 and '14 trucks regarding above.

Thanks.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just saying.... The attached pic is a spec-based comparison of the V8 and SC V6. With heavier loads, maybe that's where you'd see the difference, but I'm not convinced.

Don't forget the V8 torque is like a mountain - steep build, peak, steep decline. The SCV6 torque curve is steep, then flat lines from 3500-5000 RPM.

Yes, but here' my question, don't I need more torque at low end rather than at 3500 rpm (and above) where my car does not really live most of the time (and/or has already gained enough momentum to not really be in need of as much torque but rather horsepower)?

And if I am at 3500 rpm, its usually on the freeway while cruising at much higher speeds or trying to gain more speed in a hurry while I am already at highway speed. And at those speeds, doesn't horse power have more role to play than torque?

Even if I a step on gas relatively hard off the line, by the time I am at 3500 rpm its already time for the car to up-shift to a higher gear. So just when I reach the peak torque its time to up-shift.

I always had thought/read that torque is generally beneficial at the low end and horsepower at the high end of rpm.

Last edited:

brettmess24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, but here' my question, don't I need more torque at low end rather than at 3500 rpm (and above) where my car does not really live most of the time?

And if I am at 3500 rpm, its usually on the freeway while cruising at much higher speeds or trying to gain more speed in a hurry while I am already at highway speed. And at those speeds, doesn't horse power have more role to play than torque?

I always had thought/read that torque is generally beneficial at the low end and horsepower at the high end of rpm.

Yes your thoughts are correct, especially with the weight of the vehicle, plus any additional weight.

This is exactly why I am keeping my options open for my next Vehicle.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes your thoughts are correct, especially with the weight of the vehicle, plus any additional weight.

This is exactly why I am keeping my options open for my next Vehicle.

And for this very reason I am interested in finding out (by looking at the curves) what really happens before 3500 rpm in both SCV6 and NAV8. If before 3500 rpm, with SCV6, I get torque numbers higher than LR3 and a little lower than NAV8 then I'll be cool with it I guess. SCV6 has a good 0-60 number but that doesn't tell me what would happen with extra weight of five people/towing etc, torque curve will tell the whole story.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And for this very reason I am interested in finding out (by looking at the curves) what really happens before 3500 rpm in both SCV6 and NAV8. If before 3500 rpm, with SCV6, I get torque numbers higher than LR3 and a little lower than NAV8 then I'll be cool with it I guess. SCV6 has a good 0-60 number but that doesn't tell me what would happen with extra weight of five people/towing etc, torque curve will tell the whole story.

I don't think LR is trying to hide anything by not publishing torque curves because my butt dyno tells me that the MY14 is very capable, but I too would like to see the torque curves for comparison.

I just completed a 1,500+ mile two week trip from the East Coast down through the mountains of North Carolina, down to South Carolina, back to the mountains of North Carolina, to the inner banks of North Carolina, to the outer banks of North Carolina, back to the inner banks, and then back up the East Coast. We did it while carrying three adults and two children, a fully-packed (floor to ceiling) rear cargo area (my wife and kids sat in the middle row), a fully-packed 17 cu. ft. Thule roof box, and a tow hitch bicycle rack with 4 bikes on it. While in NC I towed a 19 foot Sea Pro 195 Fish & Ski boat a short distance and launched and recovered it down a rather steep gravel boat ramp. The LR4 didn't complain about that at all. I failed to climb the same ramp last year using our Honda Odyssey after recovering the same boat. We had to put the boat back in the water and then make an embarrassing call to my wife's cousin to bring his truck to get the boat and trailer up the ramp. No embarrassing calls this year!

The computer says I got 18 mpg on the trip. The LR4 ran flawlessly the whole trip.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You were certainly loaded up for that trip! I didn't have as much load but had the basket and cargo on top as well as over half of the space behind the front seats full (cargo covered the floor but tried to limit the pile going higher than the rear window on the passenger side. 6,000 miles. 10K' and higher mountains. Sea level. Off roading a bit. 18.3 MPG. No power issues at all. Did some off road hill climbing - no issues. Lots of passing on remote highways (including passing an unmarked police car - doh!) But, again, no towing. So aside from not having towing experience the SCV6 has more than enough power for me.

Soda

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got off pavement quite a bit during the trip, but it wasn't really off roading at all. We were outside of Ashville visiting family for an overnight. I SO wanted to go to the LR Experience at the Biltmore. Maybe next year.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72