Off roading upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Winch is probably the least used item that people do in their first top 5 items. There are so many more instantly useful things to do, especially if a wife is not "into" getting into situations where a winch might be used.

Honestly, I've done a lot of stuff and not needed it 99% of the time. I'm not trying to see how bad I can get stuck and how much damage I can find.

My suggested priority order for lots of fun camping and even getting there:

-dual battery
-12v running direct to the 2nd battery for freezer/fridge.
-inverter is nice depending on travel needs
-tires
-spare in easy to access location, just as much because of dumb access design as it is for the location of spare.
-IIDtool
-LLAMS tool (don't need any silly "rods" that don't do ANYTHING for saving your butt in a jamb)

-going far? 2nd fuel source. jerry can on bumper swing. yes, it looks cool to put them on the roof but that requires an expensive rack that is noisy, kills fuel mpg, and puts a hell of a lot of weight up high that simply doesn't belong on this type of roof design unless it's the only thing up there. There are only 4 bolts per side that hold a rack or other mounts onto the roof. it is not the old strong gutter design of the Disco 1 and 2.

-rack? sure, if you want to hang out on the roof or attach awnings. otherwise most people end up not using it as much as they thought and the $ can but both electronic tools above!

-ladder to the rack, only if you don't know how to step onto the relocated bumper mounted spare. otherwise it's nice but not immediate priority
-going anywhere rough? plates underneath.
-front bumper maybe, maybe not

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main complaint is ARB bumpers are heavy. If you don't want to carry a winch, you will not want to carry that. I am not convinced to do a snorkel again. It depends on where you are and what you do.

Do you have any opinion or experience with air locker vs E-locker for lr3? both aftermarket.

--nevermind, forgot what thread I was in . Don't need to hijack ;)

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No aftermarket e-locker yet.. I prefer the factory e-locker. The air locker will get the job done. What they do not tell you is that the axles on a vehicle with a locker are bigger than the non-locker, so there is a risk. The front does not lock on the 3. So if you wanted to add it, there might be a benefit. I have not found anything short of getting sunk to the frame that it can't do without it, so I'm not sure of the benefit.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest: isn't your LR3 an HD variant?

tlt, are you saying that the HD Package also up-sized the rear axles on the LR3?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, correct-- up sized rear axles. Anyone that cared to go through the exercise, you can fit HD axles on a non-locker, or LD axles on a locker, they are interchangeable. Or you can fit a locker diff on a non-locker, less the benefit of locking, it is heavier duty.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That $625 HD Package just gets more and more high-value as we go!

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jaamrode,

I also like your ideas:

--IID-Although it seems a bit pricey for the everyday, less than expert owner, the diagnostic/monitoring capabilities look impressive! How does it compare to the devices that my mechanic uses at his shop?

--Custom receiver hitches front and rear-I had a local U-Haul install a receiver in the rear, I hadn't thought to do that in the front. Are there specialty places that can typically do that? How has that affected your approach and departure angles when you go off-roading? :creep:

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HD package?

Yes, correct-- up sized rear axles. Anyone that cared to go through the exercise, you can fit HD axles on a non-locker, or LD axles on a locker, they are interchangeable. Or you can fit a locker diff on a non-locker, less the benefit of locking, it is heavier duty.

Other than using the VIN, is there any other way to find out if my (actually my wife's :biggrin:) '06 LR3 HSE has the HD package? :confused:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the two diffs have distinct looks. The locker will have a wire bundle that plugs into a motor that bolts on to it. The non-locker does not. Also, if you have a space saver spare, there is little chance of you having a locker. Vehicles with lockers got full size spares.

If you raise it to off road height and lay on the ground, you should be able to see.

jaamrode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jaamrode,

I also like your ideas:

--IID-Although it seems a bit pricey for the everyday, less than expert owner, the diagnostic/monitoring capabilities look impressive! How does it compare to the devices that my mechanic uses at his shop?

--Custom receiver hitches front and rear-I had a local U-Haul install a receiver in the rear, I hadn't thought to do that in the front. Are there specialty places that can typically do that? How has that affected your approach and departure angles when you go off-roading? :creep:

IID - will do most diagnostic capabilities that the shops do. One nicety other than suspension control is you can reset the service interval when you change your own oil. Even if your not mechanically inclined the diagnostic portion is helpful so you know what the codes are before taking it in to get service.

Receiver hitches - I built my receiver hitches myself I'm sure most custom fabricators could handle the build. As far as approach and departure angles for me they are not affected much in the front maybe 1 degree. The rear has no decrease in departure angle than if you did not have a receiver mounted. I've attached a few pictures for your enjoyment.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433340834.797149.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433340863.257938.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433340883.285167.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433340907.696810.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433340919.568923.jpg

As far as telling if you have the HD package if you do not have a full size spare you probably do not have the package. Since you fit a u-haul hitch, I don't believe you can fit that hitch with a full size spare tire, you probably don't have the HD package.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM