Off roading upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the two diffs have distinct looks. The locker will have a wire bundle that plugs into a motor that bolts on to it. The non-locker does not. Also, if you have a space saver spare, there is little chance of you having a locker. Vehicles with lockers got full size spares.

If you raise it to off road height and lay on the ground, you should be able to see.

Thanks, tlt!
I'll give it a look. It has a full size spare that's tucked underneath, hence my desire to get a spare tire carrier in the future. Since this is my wife's DD, I've not spent too much time studying the technology, etc., on this vehicle. I'll be spending more time on this forum getting caught up, hopefully. So far, it's been quite useful! :smile:

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jaamrode,

Nice pics!
You have good fabrication skills! I wish I had the shop and that kind of know-how!
Actually, I do have the full size spare (I've had to use it :mad:), and it was an incredibly tight fit for the tire between the main support bars of the frame-mounted receiver. However, U-Haul receiver does not exit as high as your custom mount; it actually exits below the bumper (probably not ideal for departure angle?). I utilized the opening through which yours exits to put the trailer light harness; I just re-mount the plate over the opening when not using a trailer.
So...I'll be looking underneath to get a better idea...

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rock sliders.
Also, any under carriage protection you can get.

All the damage I have done offroading could have been avoided with some simple sliders. Dent on driver door, punctured AC lines, and torn off rear wheel arch.

We don't have the greatest ground clearance as is, and those tank slappers get annoying sometimes.

I second the opinion that a winch shouldn't be on the top 5, anytime I've been stuck, it's tow strap time.

A question for you guys though, I'm not familiar with HAM radios in car; I'm just running a regular old CB. Can a HAM communicate on the same channels?

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question as I'm thinking of doing some upgrades for my 2008 LR3 HSE:
Where do you recommend getting these gadgets/tools from?
I got Wyeth-Scott for hand winches and already have one I picked up elsewhere. But I'm interested in diagnostic and service tools to cut down on mechanic expenses and improvements for a rear and front hitch and winch attachment. I'm also very interested in a rear full-size spare holder and a jerry can option is also a good idea. For camping I've thought of getting a hitch mounted platform to hold extra gear but that does impede certain actions.
Thanks.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the hitch I can sort you out. The GAP IID tool is the popular one right now. You can get it from british4x4outfitters.com or lucky8.

On cb vs ham.. you'll need a license with ham, but it is fairly minimal effort to get it. The typical trail CB you might get 1-4 miles at best with 4 watts of power AM. With HAM you might expect 10-50 miles or more with 50 watts FM and repeaters you can use most times. Huge difference in range and clarity. You can monitor CB channels but you can't transmit on them. For all practical purposes an hand held CB can do about as well with an external antenna mounted if you go that route.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So sounds like a winch is the very last thing one would need. Dual battery set-ups: understanding that it's going to be use dependent and thinking of it for assisting a winch, powering a radio, and running a fridge - what's the best set-up or vendor to consider?

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find that a winch is a cool toy, but not the top item when you're on the trail unless you go by yourself. Don't go by yourself.

The one time I remember actually using a winch it was when by buddy was driving up an inclining muddy path that arced around some trees. basically it would have been impossible to tug him forwards, although we could have pulled him back out reverse.

Long story short, straps are the best.

Just reiterating from before, get some undercarriage protection. Don't destroy your truck on the trail because you're getting tunnel vision and a little more gas will do it.

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For a dual battery set up I would say Traxide out of Australia. I have it in my LR4 and it works as advertised. I also have the National Luna kit for my 110 and it works well. But for the newer LR's I say go with Traxide. I installed a USB and volt meter in the back along with the fuse block, fridge port and additional 12V plug and I got the kit with the anderson plug for my solar panel (or a compressor). ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278043.494612.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278058.627970.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278071.629738.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278131.666358.jpg

El Solis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Duchess! The LR4 is my wife's car and DD so all of my mods have to be stealthy. It takes a little more work but in the end I think it looks slick. You basically have to pry off all the trim and run wires but it hides everything. Also, not an off road upgrade but I replaced the front passenger 12V port with a dual USB port as all my electronics charge with USB. Did it while installing the HAM radio. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278714.294515.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278727.643361.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278758.612520.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278791.336217.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1436278826.924459.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM