Offroad : LR4 vs. RR vs RRS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lack of a low range and limited suspensions articulation mostly, which limit its capabilities off road. However, the Evoque is not the laughingstock many Land Rover and non Land Rover owners make it sound off road. Even with the above limitations, it is still quite capable in the dirt. More capable than 99.9% of owners wlll ever need.

Somewhat off topic, but it is interesting that on the new RRS, on every trim but the fully loaded S/C and Autobiography, a transfer case with low range and Terrain Response 2 (the new "automatic" Terrain Response) are now extra cost options part of an "Off-road package". That's smart, as a simplified transfer case and electronics keep the cost and weight down for owners who could care less about going off road - and there are tons of those buying the RRS in particular.

Smart, but sad. It is going from a brand that IS off-road, to a brand that has some optional off road stuff. It will dilute the heritage.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smart, but sad. It is going from a brand that IS off-road, to a brand that has some optional off road stuff. It will dilute the heritage.

1) I was joking about the Evoque. I'm sure it is a relatively capable off-road vehicle, but up to LR expectations, not so much.

2) I think we might be beyond the 'is going from'. Just look what we have to do to get proper tires on our trucks because LR is putting 19" and larger wheels on them, along with street tires. Granted we have the best 4x4xFar, but I think the heritage has been diluted. God only knows what the new Defender will be like and from the spy photos, it looks like a Ford Flex on steroids.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The core "heritage" of the brand is represented by the Range Rover, the Disco and the Defender. Hopefully those 3 vehicles will stay true to their heritage and remain supremely capable offroaders out of the factory (I trust that will be the game plan of Land Rover for the long term.)

The remaining models in the lineup were introduced to fill niches that did not exist 10 or 20 years ago, so I guess Land Rover should be allowed a little latitude when it comes to fitting them with serious off-road toys because they need to appeal to a "non-heritage" crowd that would otherwise flock to other brands.

Even the Sport - as capable as it's always been off road - was really a bit of a ripoff considering it was basically an LR3 in drags, more expensive, less spacious and with a high power engine as an option for keeping up with BMW, Mercedes, etc. I knew quite well that I was being ripped off when I bought mine back in 2005, but at the time I could care less about its off-roading capabilities and fancy suspensions - the off-road bug bit me a year or so later. I just loved the looks, the luxury, the size, the sports car feeling behind the wheel and, well, the Range Rover badge on the hood. I remember the salesman dressed like Indiana Jones telling me my car (I bought the fully loaded showroom model, with every possible option including some garish chromed factory rims...) was even equipped with "an electronic rear differential", and I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I just kept nodding and telling him "Whatever man, when do I get to take her home?"

At least the Sport can now claim to be more of a Range Rover than the LR3/4 impostor it was before, it's built on the same platform but still looks like a sportier version of it, even the interior is super posh and hard to distinguish from the flagship now. It just has less factory toys than the big Range, but at least they are still available for those who would really like the luxury and capabilities of the full size Range Rover without the bulk and $100K+ price (and by the time you are done accessioning it, the new RRS can easily top $100K itself.)

I think Land Rover has a winner in its hands withe the new Sport. It may not represent the true heritage of Land Rover, but I don't think it's meant to. It's meant to sell a lot of units, like the Evoque.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The core "heritage" of the brand is represented by the Range Rover, the Disco and the Defender. Hopefully those 3 vehicles will stay true to their heritage and remain supremely capable offroaders out of the factory (I trust that will be the game plan of Land Rover for the long term.)

The remaining models in the lineup were introduced to fill niches that did not exist 10 or 20 years ago, so I guess Land Rover should be allowed a little latitude when it comes to fitting them with serious off-road toys because they need to appeal to a "non-heritage" crowd that would otherwise flock to other brands.

Even the Sport - as capable as it's always been off road - was really a bit of a ripoff considering it was basically an LR3 in drags, more expensive, less spacious and with a high power engine as an option for keeping up with BMW, Mercedes, etc. I knew quite well that I was being ripped off when I bought mine back in 2005, but at the time I could care less about its off-roading capabilities and fancy suspensions - the off-road bug bit me a year or so later. I just loved the looks, the luxury, the size, the sports car feeling behind the wheel and, well, the Range Rover badge on the hood. I remember the salesman dressed like Indiana Jones telling me my car (I bought the fully loaded showroom model, with every possible option including some garish chromed factory rims...) was even equipped with "an electronic rear differential", and I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. I just kept nodding and telling him "Whatever man, when do I get to take her home?"

At least the Sport can now claim to be more of a Range Rover than the LR3/4 impostor it was before, it's built on the same platform but still looks like a sportier version of it, even the interior is super posh and hard to distinguish from the flagship now. It just has less factory toys than the big Range, but at least they are still available for those who would really like the luxury and capabilities of the full size Range Rover without the bulk and $100K+ price (and by the time you are done accessioning it, the new RRS can easily top $100K itself.)

I think Land Rover has a winner in its hands withe the new Sport. It may not represent the true heritage of Land Rover, but I don't think it's meant to. It's meant to sell a lot of units, like the Evoque.
I have to admit, you make some awesome points here - very well said umbertob!

I guess the RRS and Evoque do need to mold to the market in order for LR to make money and be able to improve their vehicles and further enhance their heritage stock.

-David

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think making lR2's and Evoques also helps them offset our gas guzzlers for the CAFE numbers.

Longhorn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think making lR2's and Evoques also helps them offset our gas guzzlers for the CAFE numbers.
Good point and probably true, although they would increase their numbers better by bringing over the TDs.

My big worry is to see what they do with the new Defender.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My worry is what they do with the LR5.

If the Defender is their true off-roader, and positioned that way, the LR5 could seriously be watered down to be a more general SUV to appeal to families to compete with the ML and X3.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My worry is what they do with the LR5.

If the Defender is their true off-roader, and positioned that way, the LR5 could seriously be watered down to be a more general SUV to appeal to families to compete with the ML and X3.
I just wish they would bring the Defender to the US :)

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I read that LR will still produce the traditional Defender for commercial use and other markets, I think military as well... and the new Defender, I guess with that DX100 name or whatever it is, will be the mass-market beach buggy for US and ROW markets.

The Evoque as you said, David, fits the market it was intended for. But too much Evoque over the line is pushing it a tad. Actually, after building out a few versions of the new RRS, with the silver roof, if glanced at quickly, one could mistaken it for an Evoque.

Hmmmm... These are confusing times.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635