Powerchip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just wanted to provide 6 month update, the Disco is still running strong. Filled up the other day after running around the Cincinnati area (mostly stop and go traffic) 145 miles at 9.6 gallons of fuel (91 octane).

15.1 MPG... not bad.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Update - while pulling a Loaded 7 x 12 Enclosed Utility Trailer around the Cincinnati Ohio area.

146 miles at 11.7 gallons = 12.50 MPG.... not bad.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey;

Based on your experience I sent my ecu into Powerchips for a Gold 93 chipping and mods. I'll let you knbow how this works out when I get it back and installed.

Have you considered a Borla exhaust with your Headman headers (i.e, as you have pretty much the same set-up that I have on my 97 Disco)? I have been thinking of Borla once I get the chipped ecu settled in.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I just have a muffler (almost a glass pack) and a pipe coming out the back - total cost for replacement when needed less than $100

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Joey;

Ok - I have my ECU chipped with the 93 Gold and it seems to be making a power difference - I am not certain about gas mileage yet (i.e., its just too soon to tell anything); one weird thing - when I punched it and then let her settle back down I got that darned P1179 code immediately (I run with a Scanguage II from Scanner Tools - so I get immediate engine feedback and the ability to clear codes on the fly [a very cool and relatively cheap device that gives you real engine temp readouts in F or C; real digital RPM; HP rating; real time digital voltage, open or closed loop on the O2 sensors; it also has a highly complex gas mileage trip computer that I have yet to figure out; all data read out to you in whatever color display you want [also, the ability to enter in your own guages - such as transmission temp]).

I'll give you a little more background on that code - I first saw it on my trip back from LA (about this time last year) and I was also getting the stagger or engine stumble/feathering at highway speeds when things were good and hot. The dealer in Santa Barbara said that they thought it was the MAF sensor and I had that thoroughly cleaned and checked - so it turned out to be A-ok). Another dealer told me that it had to be the vehicle speed sensor so I changed my vehicle speed sensor when I got home - and this made no real difference when the engine was really warm; then I had a vacuum check performed and discovered that my intake manifold had done some weird electrolysis corroding right near an intake port on the driver's side cylinder head and unmetered air was getting in! So, not having non-dealer access to a new manifold I had mine leach-welded and the seat was good. Stagger/stumble or feathering when warm, plus P1179 code, went away. I hadn't seen it since I chipped my Disco just recently - (this code can mean, amongst other things, unmetered air entering the system) - but now its back.

I am probably over-reacting but, given the fact that I have over 200,000 odd kliks (that's somewhere around 124,000 miles) on this engine, I am starting to worry that my heads might be ready to say good night (i.e. I do have one exhaust valve on the driver's side ticking - not badly - but its there). What's your opinion on this.

Wolf

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Try cleaning your MAF sensor again... I know I get the stumble every so often, and I clean the MAF and all goes well for 6 months or so. Of course I also run a Cold Air Intake with an K&N type filter.

Bendix Nobel

Reaction score
Question to the forum When ordering part for my discovery 2003 .The question is . Is there a difference between discovery 11 and a SE model I have the SE model thank you bendix nobel

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you mean is there a difference in a Disco 2 that is a SD or SE or SD7 or SE7, then no not as far as the engine or ECU goes.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Update I just drove from Cincinnati OH to Louisville KY, drove around in town some and over to New Albany IN as well, then drove back. My average speed was 68 MPH on the highway.

I drove a total of 268 miles on this tank of fuel and it took 15.48 Gallons to fill it up.

Can you say 17 MPG at almost 70 MPH... woo hoo.

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update I just drove from Cincinnati OH to Louisville KY, drove around in town some and over to New Albany IN as well, then drove back. My average speed was 68 MPH on the highway.

I drove a total of 268 miles on this tank of fuel and it took 15.48 Gallons to fill it up.

Can you say 17 MPG at almost 70 MPH... woo hoo.
Hi Joey;

That's really good - I am more than jealous!

Wolf

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM