Right Rear (pass side) brake seems to be stuck ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving my truck today on the highway (2005 HSE w/ 34k miles that I bought in June from a rover dealer)... and I heard a scraping/squeaking noise... it was pretty loud against the wall on the side of the highway. Pulled off, sure enough, noise seemed like coming from right rear wheel. Sounds like a dragging caliper or something. Wheel kind of squeaks and makes a shhhhh/scraping noise. Just coming from right rear wheel.

Deemed it safe to continue. I then went to the grocery store and heard it in a parking garage. Heard a couple click/very soft clanks and then the noise would come and go as I turned left and right, etc.

This truck had all new rotors and pads about 2400 miles ago (right when I bought it). I just washed it yesterday... and all the rotors were still "silvery" and not rusted. Now, I looked, that right rear caliper has the silvery stuff flaking off the hub area... and I would bet that it's overheated causing this.

EDIT: There was one time earlier today that I stopped for a light, and I thought I hit some weird oil in the road... the car kind of lurched a tiny bit like abs kicked in for a sec. And on the highway about 20 mins later I got a "shudder" that made me think I ran over something, but it went away after I started slowing down (didn't run over anything either).

Well... crap. So its CPO.. I bought the car in Huntsville (LR dealer) and I live in nashville. (so I cant imagine the dealer here will be stoked to fix brakes someone else did since brakes arent exactly a CPO covered component).... What to do?

Last edited:

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could this TSB be the prob?

Just found this in the forums after searching. I guess it could be this ?? Sounds like what I've got..

Technical Service Bulletin No.LS206-002
Summary :
A customer may report a concern of a squeal or clicking noise, or of excessive brake dust coming from one or both of the rear brake hubs.
Cause : The electronic parking brake, brake shoe retaining clip has become dislodged or has broken, leading to the above complaint.
Action : Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin.
Parts Required: Parking brake service kit SFS500012
Labour Time: Renew rear parking brake shoes 70.40.09 1.50 hours
Service Instruction
NOTE : In cases where a broken clip has been identified, to ensure a 'right first time' repair, both of the rear brakes should be serviced using the above service kit containing the latest design retaining clip and redesigned brake shoes.
NOTE : The service repair kit should always be used when replacing rear parking brake shoes during routine maintenance, to ensure that the latest specification parts are installed.
CAUTION : Ensure the new retaining clip is correctly positioned into the shoe locating slot.
Renew both rear parking brake shoes using the above parts kit, which includes the modified design shoes, retaining clip and return springs (illustration shows both left-hand and right-hand shoe arrangements and indicates the retaining clip locating slot). For additional information, refer to Global Technical Reference (GTR) Range Rover Sport Workshop Manual Section 206-05, Parking Brake and Actuation - Shoes (70.40.09).

//// OR THIS //////

Go to the dealer.
Tell them you are experiencing an 'Electronic Parking Brake Activation."
Its a known issue that has been addressed on various boards.
Shudder. Stop. Smell. Reboot. Good to go. Repeat later.
The burnt rubber smell comes from the internal rear drums activating. (aka parking brake)
They will pull and seal the parking brake harness, replace your rear rotors, including the drums, and all the pads

Been there, done that.

Last edited:

Tirewall

Reaction score
I have a 2005 LR3 and the parking brake hung up all by itself causing the brakes and wheel to get hot and make this aweful shuddering sound. The dealer replaced the pads and said they fixed it. This reoccured and might be a common flaw in the brakes...the dealer said it was the parking brake not the brakes used for stopping the truck. Rather than take it back to the dealer, I removed the parking brake altogether. I say this because recently I heard a scraping sound in my psgr rear wheel. It was a spring from the since removed parking brake shoes that was floating around inside the rotor. It was very easy to remove the brakes and rotor to inspect and repair...anyone can do it...just be careful not to mess with the ABS sensor that is clipped to the brake pad.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could there be a chance that it is only the dust shield rubbing?

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More info

So -- drove about 60 miles today ... for work. When I started, the RR wheel was covered in brake dust (as opposed to LR wheel and the front wheels which are pretty clean).

Today, no noise from the wheel (the squeak or rub is gone).

When I apply parking brake on a hill, it feels like only the left rear engages, the car sort of lurches to one side (much like my old saab 900 turbo when one of the parking brake cables broke). Feels like right rear is not engaging anymore.

Here's the other weird thing. I was getting approx 10.5 mpg on the truck. Really crappy. I reset the thing today, its now averaging 16 or so over those miles today. I wonder if the pkg brake has been dragging the WHOLE TIME causing this.

Hmm. Waiting on call back from dealer.

airbn5

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the same problem...

but it is the same description and experience I was having on my 06 RR. After checking the pads I determined that the housing was not "floating" and causing the outer pad to stay engaged. This caused the outer pad to wear prematurely. I have since changed the pads and freed up the brake housing and and so far (3 months) not experienced anymore issues.

I know the EPB is a separate issue and I did not have the smell or any other indicators that would have led me to believe it was the parking brake, although I did consider it. New to the board, Thanks.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9