Showoff Your LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple more of us in the simple obstacle course, and a rather crappy video of some bumps - nothing special.

http://youtu.be/ucJY5n8eY5s

F7A3044B-F494-4DAB-91CA-C3D5542B5859_zpse1ozwvdg.png

4B1C4BBD-693C-4A92-93B1-1541BA3BFBCC_zpsmkqfhaf6.jpg

EFCAAD9C-7514-4D01-AE67-4CDCC5285F1D_zpsfdgvw4ym.png

C863A2D1-7170-4B3B-876D-0BBBE960D73F_zpse7vgwowq.jpg

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you fit LR3 wheels (18 inch) on LR4 without any modification? If true, I never knew that.

A few of us are doing that.
You don't need any mods unless you consider spacers a modification...

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Forgive me for being total ignorant but what are spacers and where do they go?

For smaller than 19 inch wheels, I thought the hinderance were the brake components (rotors/calipers) being in the way.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Forgive me for being total ignorant but what are spacers and where do they go?

For smaller than 19 inch wheels, I thought the hinderance were the brake components (rotors/calipers) being in the way.

Most rims are tapered, meaning the part that you can see (part facing the curb) has a smaller diameter than the part facing the underside of the truck/car.

A spacer allows you to push the wheel/rim out (towards the curb), therefore allowing more clearance between the brake caliper and the inner rim.

A spacer is a disc made of metal which is placed between the brake rotor/disc and the rim.

There are various thickness of spacers. In my case I'm using the 1.25" one and I believe most people do. Thicker than that and your wheel will stick out (passed the fender flare).

This allows you to use 18" LR rims and probably many other brands.

Spacers also allow you to use a rim with a different bolt pattern (LR is 5x120).
I decided to stick with LR rims but some are using aftermarket ones and even Jeep rims...

I hope this helps.

Axel

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most rims are tapered, meaning the part that you can see (part facing the curb) has a smaller diameter than the part facing the underside of the truck/car.

A spacer allows you to push the wheel/rim out (towards the curb), therefore allowing more clearance between the brake caliper and the inner rim.

A spacer is a disc made of metal which is placed between the brake rotor/disc and the rim.

There are various thickness of spacers. In my case I'm using the 1.25" one and I believe most people do. Thicker than that and your wheel will stick out (passed the fender flare).

This allows you to use 18" LR rims and probably many other brands.

Spacers also allow you to use a rim with a different bolt pattern (LR is 5x120).
I decided to stick with LR rims but some are using aftermarket ones and even Jeep rims...

I hope this helps.

Axel

Great, thanks.

With spacers, do you lose/alter anything in terms of driving dynamics or aerodynamics as 1.25 inches on each side seems fair amount.

Thanks.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wider track (+2.5" front and rear) alters the look (beefier) and provide better stability.

It does slightly reduce the turning radius. Some people seem to have no problem with spacers and 265 tires. In my case I can not go to full lock which is a little annoying in the city.

As I just moved to Albuquerque from Cambridge this might less of a problem (much wider streets) and I've been considering altering the frame horns...

To get here, I actually drove on the 19s with Conti and took them offroad twice with not much difference. The lower sidewall will be less forgiving but if you drive slow and watch out for rocks touching your sidewalls you'll be fine either way.

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The wider track (+2.5" front and rear) alters the look (beefier) and provide better stability.

It does slightly reduce the turning radius. Some people seem to have no problem with spacers and 265 tires. In my case I can not go to full lock which is a little annoying in the city.

As I just moved to Albuquerque from Cambridge this might less of a problem (much wider streets) and I've been considering altering the frame horns...

To get here, I actually drive on the 19s with Conti and took them offroad twice with not much difference. The lower sidewall will be less forgiving but if you drive slow and watch out for rocks touching your sidewalls you'll be fine either way.

Thanks. And when you say that you cannot go to full lock, does that mean that its the tires that hit the body and prevent from going full lock? Basically I am trying to find out if there is any rubbing/touching of the tires and body at any time like suspension fully lowered or raised and the wheels fully turned/steering fully locked to either side.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. And when you say that you cannot go to full lock, does that mean that its the tires that hit the body and prevent from going full lock? Basically I am trying to find out if there is any rubbing/touching of the tires and body at any time like suspension fully lowered or raised and the wheels fully turned/steering fully locked to either side.

What I mean is that the front tires will touch the frame horns (part of the frame designed to prevent the tire/wheels to enter the driver or passenger footwell in the event of a frontal crash mainly). These can be cut or trimmed but I haven't gotten to it at this point.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is that the front tires will touch the frame horns (part of the frame designed to prevent the tire/wheels to enter the driver or passenger footwell in the event of a frontal crash mainly). These can be cut or trimmed but I haven't gotten to it at this point.

Thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM